Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 10:30 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times

Advertisements

I never saw one of these in any store before. How do you fit a stick off butter into it though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2wRJFfEjsQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 10:32 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
You let the butter sit at room temperature until it can be pressed down into the bell. But I agree, this is one of the inconveniences of a butter bell. The covered dish that holds a stick of butter as is, is much more convenient if it works for you. It does for me.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:10 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Yep! Love mine! Soft butter ready to spread on toast or corn on the cob or even popcorn!

Old 09-11-2022, 12:35 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Temperatures in LA have been three digits for the past week. It dropped to a chilly 84 degrees last night when we had a spot of rain.

I cannot imagine keeping the butter out on the counter. I just take the butter out of the fridge a few minutes before I'm going to use it, then return it to the dairy compartment in the fridge as soon as I'm done. I've never even heard of a butter bell, know no one who owns one, and based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like a lot of unnecessary fuss.

That photo someone shared of their oval butter holder is cute, but it wouldn't work with the European butters we buy since those are shaped differently (like Kerrygold, Plugra, Lurpak, Président, Finlandia, Allgau). Do they make one shaped like those packages?
There is no way that the butter is properly spreadable after only a few minutes. I buy Kerrygold & just keep a slice off the block in a dish, & replenish it as it gets low.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:28 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,808,499 times
The good thing about "stick" butter, is you can "kinda" measure out a portion for a recipe or whatever.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The good thing about "stick" butter, is you can "kinda" measure out a portion for a recipe or whatever.
That's a good point. Speaking only for myself, I never use butter from my butter bell for any cooking or baking; I only use it for spreading on bread, corn on the cob etc.

I just use the stick from the fridge anytime I bake or am throwing a pat into a skillet or pan and it's just going to melt anyway.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:27 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In a prior thread, you guys convinced me to keep our butter on the counter instead of the fridge. Great idea - thank you

I'm using a standard porcelain butter dish with a porcelain top. It gets greasy on the outside, and I'm just waiting to drop and break it. The stick of butter inside gets gloppy looking after we've used some of the butter. It's not an airtight container.

I've read about butter bells. Care to share your pros and cons?
We had one. It didn't work (failed to keep butter fresh, splashed all over) but we kept it as a decorative item.

Why not just put out enough butter for one day?

Old 09-12-2022, 09:36 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
That's a good point. Speaking only for myself, I never use butter from my butter bell for any cooking or baking; I only use it for spreading on bread, corn on the cob etc.

I just use the stick from the fridge anytime I bake or am throwing a pat into a skillet or pan and it's just going to melt anyway.
We just scoop out the butter with one of our little metal measuring spoons. My wife has a trick when she's adding butter to dough doing that- she holds the measuring spoon over the bowl and heats the underside with one of those extension lighters. Drops right off and she can work it into the dough easily.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:44 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We just scoop out the butter with one of our little metal measuring spoons. My wife has a trick when she's adding butter to dough doing that- she holds the measuring spoon over the bowl and heats the underside with one of those extension lighters. Drops right off and she can work it into the dough easily.
Typically if I am putting butter into dough I'm making a cake or cookies and need more than just one or two tablespoons. The only thing I can think of that I would only need a little bit for is waffles, and I rarely make those. In that case I just eyeball the amount from the stick in the butter dish on the counter. It's already soft and the exact amount is not critical.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:16 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Typically if I am putting butter into dough I'm making a cake or cookies and need more than just one or two tablespoons. The only thing I can think of that I would only need a little bit for is waffles, and I rarely make those. In that case I just eyeball the amount from the stick in the butter dish on the counter. It's already soft and the exact amount is not critical.
We don't waste butter IN waffles. Butter goes ON 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink