Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 02:51 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

when i started keeping kosher, i stopped eating at McDonald's.
So i could no longer eat the McGriddle breakfast sandwiches which i was fond of when i traveled.

So i learned to make my own kosher breakfast sandwiches, which include fried egg, and for that McGriddle syrup flavor i added pancake syrup. yummy. pancake syrup has also for decades been my "secret ingredient" in dishes people rave about, everything from stir fry veggies, to sweet potatoes, to spicy peanut satay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 02:55 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I suppose you 'could' use maple flavored pancake syrup, but the real stuff just tastes so much better.
i'm one of those people who does not find "real" maple syrup as flavorful as other pancake syrups. Mrs. Butterworth's is my favorite. I do not eat waffles or pancakes anymore, but i do use Mrs. Butterworth's in lots of other things. over the years i've tried the expensive real maple syrup, and i just don't find it tastes as good. we even had a cousin who lived in New Hampshire and tapped their own trees and made their own maple syrup. Nope. Not as tasty, in my view.

i do bake with maple flavoring (like the bottles of vanilla or almond flavor, only maple instead), when i bake scones, and when i make flavored spreads for homemade fresh baked challah bread.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course it is. It's all I ever had, growing up, just like most folks that don't live up north.
To be honest, I tried *real* maple syrup, many different kinds, a few years ago, and it was horrid. Turns out that year was a bad year for it. I have tried it since, and found it to be a little better, but there's no way I would pay the high prices for it. I don't use it much but when I do, I'll stick to Log Cabin.
I generally have both in the house. The real maple syrup is for cooking and baking. For pancakes and French toast, I’ll have the corn syrup maple flavored stuff, too.

The real maple syrup works better as an ingredient. I was on a maple/bourbon kick for a while and Log Cabin used in place of real maple syrup does not work. And real maple syrup was way too expensive to slop over pancakes, and was extremely lacking. My husband felt the same way. So we kept both in the house.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:52 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
For those saying salmon, do you just brush some straight maple syrup over the fish or, dilute it some, or add some other ingredients? I don't know how much salmon I've cooked and eaten in my life but I've never used maple syrup. Always looking for new things to try.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:04 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
In muffin batter

Old 09-21-2022, 04:38 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
[quote=NJ Brazen_3133;64157092]Besides pancakes/waffles, what else can you use Maple Syrup for?/QUOTE]
Love to dip sausage in it. I've seen it used for cookies, cakes, pies, marinades.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
...real maple syrup was way too expensive to slop over pancakes, and was extremely lacking. My husband felt the same way. So we kept both in the house.
We've mixed real syrup into the fake (Log Cabin used to include a small percentage of maple syrup) for a much tastier product. Even if you don't mix it, real syrup goes a surprisingly long way. It doesn't take much for a very tall stack of pancakes.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:01 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
I make a ricotta cheese sandwich on American bread, and grill it on both sides in a frying pan with butter, I eat it with a knife and fork after I drizzle maple syrup on it.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:01 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We don’t eat a lot of pancakes and waffles, but some. We buy only real syrup, at Costco or Sam’s, but we learned the hard way that you need to keep it refrigerated or it will spoil.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:48 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
For those saying salmon, do you just brush some straight maple syrup over the fish or, dilute it some, or add some other ingredients? I don't know how much salmon I've cooked and eaten in my life but I've never used maple syrup. Always looking for new things to try.
Here is one recipe that is similar to mine - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...glazed-salmon/

Look online. There are many others! If you like salmon and maple syrup (NOT Log Cabin, etc. you will LOVE this! And my guess is that you do and will!)

Happy eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink