Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 04:06 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

In the Midwest it's pear sauce, peach sauce, apple sauce, usually canned, served in a little dish alongside the meal. Standard school, hospital and nursing home food.

I'm glad no one does that around me anymore! Unless it's home canned.

Well, they tell me rhubarb is a vegetable but we eat it as a fruit. Chop it up, put in saucepan, add sugar and a little water and simmer for a while. Don't even have to mash it up.

Rhubarb you aren't eating the actual fruit of the plant. You're eating the stem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 04:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In the Midwest it's pear sauce, peach sauce, apple sauce, usually canned, served in a little dish alongside the meal. Standard school, hospital and nursing home food.

I'm glad no one does that around me anymore! Unless it's home canned.

Well, they tell me rhubarb is a vegetable but we eat it as a fruit. Chop it up, put in saucepan, add sugar and a little water and simmer for a while. Don't even have to mash it up.

Rhubarb you aren't eating the actual fruit of the plant. You're eating the stem.

And with strawberries makes an excellent pie!

Old 09-29-2022, 04:25 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Botanically speaking, "fruit" is the part of the plant that surrounds the seeds. Some are sweet, others are bland or savory.
Tomatoes, peppers of all kinds, gourds, zucchini, cucumbers; all are fruit.

Legumes and grains are seeds.

Most of what we call "vegetables" are other parts of the plant. Lettuce and spinach leaves, cauliflower and broccoli flower buds (did you see that coming?), stems of rhubarb and celery and fennel, roots of beets and celeriac. Potatoes are stems, not roots. Sweet potatoes, however ARE roots.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting! My mother made applesauce all the time, so we ate it frequently, but never as a dessert.
My mother made applesauce and we never ate it any other way than as a dessert.y wife introduce it to me as something that went with pork. Mind you her mother kept a kosher home so she never ate pork growi.ng up.

Old 09-29-2022, 06:03 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Botanically speaking, "fruit" is the part of the plant that surrounds the seeds. Some are sweet, others are bland or savory.
Tomatoes, peppers of all kinds, gourds, zucchini, cucumbers; all are fruit.

Legumes and grains are seeds.

Most of what we call "vegetables" are other parts of the plant. Lettuce and spinach leaves, cauliflower and broccoli flower buds (did you see that coming?), stems of rhubarb and celery and fennel, roots of beets and celeriac. Potatoes are stems, not roots. Sweet potatoes, however ARE roots.

I always thought potatoes are tubers.

And, as a kid, applesauce was always eaten separate from the rest of the meal. Usually in a single serving cup mom put in with your bag lunch that included a sandwich made from Wonder Bread, Oscar Mayer bologna, Kraft cheese-food, and MiricleWhip. How we survived to adulthood I'll never know.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:00 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I always thought potatoes are tubers.
They are modified stems called "stem tubers", not to be confused with "root tubers" like sweet potatoes.

So much more complex than it sounded in 5th grade.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:22 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is the tomato the only plant or part of a plant that can be directly turned into a sauce?

Other plants like fruit can turned into juice like orange or grape. Or can they also be turned to sauce if they are reduced enough, and water extracted?

When I write directly, I mean with very little processes. With tomatoes, slice them, cook them down, crush them. There is something in the skin that actually helps thicken it.

Soy sauce requires a lot of work. I guess you can say olives, but I considered that an oil. It can be used like a dipping sauce for breads. Any other plants or plant parts that become sauces without combining it or doing too much to it?
There's something in the skin that actually helps thicken it? Or not. Have you ever made sauce from tomatoes? I don't think so.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Technically tomato is a fruit
Uber-technically, the tomato is a BERRY.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:30 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Cranberry sauce?

Old 09-30-2022, 01:56 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
All this talk of applesauce makes me want potato pancakes and apple sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink