Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 05:17 PM

17,612 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

In the Asian section of our grocery store I saw some instant noodle packs by a brand called Annie Chun. Read the nutrition label and it had a much lower sodium content than cup noodles or instant ramen packs. Bought 3 to try. First two were noodles and the third was a noodle soup. For the noodles you open the pack of dried vegetables and the our into the bowl. Open the park of noodles and place over the dried vegetables. Add 1/4 cup water and cover with lid loosely. Microwave for 90 seconds. Allow to sit for 30 seconds before removing. Open last pouch and pour out the sauce and stir. It was more filling than it looked and I was surprised by the protein count on the label. Didn’t become hungry within an hour after eating. The soup wasn’t as enjoyable as the noodles. With the soup you open all the pouches and place in bowl with noodles on top. Fill to soup fill line and microwave for 2 minutes.

All packs are labeled as GMO free and vegan. They’re more expensive than cup noodle or instant ramen but seems healthier so it might be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 11:01 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Are those the ones that are about $3 bucks a pack? If so, that's a hard pass for me. . .

Old 10-23-2022, 11:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
SOMEONE warned me on ramen noodles,they are packed with chemicals for preserving,and eating too much could cause cancer.
The Japanese can eat them several times a day,they even have vending machines.
Stomach and throat cancer rates are higher in Japan,due to the pickled daikon,sushi,MSG ,ramen,saki

Old 10-23-2022, 01:06 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are those the ones that are about $3 bucks a pack? If so, that's a hard pass for me. . .
I got one once out of curiosity - not only was it expensive, it was entirely tasteless. Most bland soup I ever had in my life. Dishwater would have been more zesty. I'd rather have the MSG, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
SOMEONE warned me on ramen noodles,they are packed with chemicals for preserving,and eating too much could cause cancer.
The Japanese can eat them several times a day,they even have vending machines.
Stomach and throat cancer rates are higher in Japan,due to the pickled daikon,sushi,MSG ,ramen,saki
The same Japanese who on average outlive Americans by around 10 years?

How bizarre to bring up the Japanese anyways, Chun is a Chinese name.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:26 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Ramen noodles in Japan are probably made fresh and don't have the junk ingredients found in cheap package ramen noodles available in the US.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:25 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Ramen noodles in Japan are probably made fresh and don't have the junk ingredients found in cheap package ramen noodles available in the US.
"Cheap packaged ramen noodles" (the fried kind with packaged, salty seasoning packets) were invented in Japan and continue to be a popular food choice. There are, of course, restaurants where fresh ramen can be obtained and probably home cooks might prepare fresh rather than packaged, but the packaged item is still very much in evidence. In fact, packaged ramen noodles (the kind that comes in the familiar styrofoam cup) were credited with being a lifesaver following the 2011 tsunami as they apparently provided the only food source for a large number or those affected for quite some time. NHK TV even made a documentary about the inventor of packaged ramen and the surprisingly complex and difficult processes required to create it.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:41 PM

In SE Asia,there are shops which make fresh noodles of all kinds ,along with fresh TOFU.
But the one we get in this ccountry in a bag is INSTANT RAMEN.
I usually throw away the seasoning packet and use my own broth.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I got one once out of curiosity - not only was it expensive, it was entirely tasteless. Most bland soup I ever had in my life. Dishwater would have been more zesty. I'd rather have the MSG, thanks!

The same Japanese who on average outlive Americans by around 10 years?

How bizarre to bring up the Japanese anyways, Chun is a Chinese name.
chun may be a Chinese name,but the instant noodle reminds some of us of Ramen.
Food is expensive in Japan,Japanese do not overeat,they eat a lot of food items from the sea which are more nutritious than land food items-fish,seaweed,kelp,octopus,crabs,sea urchins,clams.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:58 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

All packs are labeled as GMO free and vegan. They’re more expensive than cup noodle or instant ramen but seems healthier so it might be worth a try.
I've kept Annie Chun noodle/soup kits in my office at work for quick lunches for years. Costs a bit less to mail order multiple pack boxes. Nutritionally more attractive than the typical dry ramen cups. I'd much rather start out with a bland mix and enhance with my own flavorings instead of the opposite.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:00 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,022 times
I keep a couple in the pantry. And I buy them when they are "buy one get one free" at Harris Teeter. Not bad -- sometimes I add a bit of rotisserie chicken to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink