Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 03:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times

Advertisements

Folgers Gourmet Supreme mixed 2:1 with Folgers Black Silk has been my recent favorite. I like strong coffee with a lot of flavor but smooth. Eight O'clock is a good substitute for Folgers I've found. I'm from back in the day of stovetop percolated coffee, so most drip coffee is too much like watery Kool Aid to me - has no "verve." Fortunately my new drip maker has a "bold" setting that actually makes coffee thick as mud. Takes a while longer, but, Yum.

Totally agree with the previous post: Chock full of Nuts is horrible. Doesn't even taste like coffee. The only person I ever knew who stocked that stuff was a guy I knew who (I found out later) was in the CIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 03:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, seeing Starbucks that high on the list is suspicious. Awful stuff. A local roaster explained to me that normally coffee is roasted at X temp for 14 minutes but that Starbucks roasts at 8 minutes at a very high temp, hence the burnt taste--which, apparently, some people like. However, I suspect that part of their popularity is a younger customer base that likes the flavored feu-feu trendy coffee drinks with cream things and sweeteners that hide the bad taste and really don't know what good coffee tastes like.

Dunkin was once good, now is dishwatery and weak, and from what I hear, Tim's was good once too and is now watery.

I buy a good coffee here in Ontario that is sold under the PresIdent's Choice label, available at supermarkets and drugstores. Strong, robust flavor.

I do like Peet's when I am home in the States. Would like to try the Café Bustelo. I always see it in the stores. A bit surprised that Community Coffee has been around so long. I thought it was a new brand. Showed up during COVID and was pretty cheap so I tried it. Was OK.
The Starbucks Sumatra I buy in the store doesn't taste burnt at all. It's very bold and strong.

I think you're right about the younger crowd liking their sweet, gooey, fluffy coffee. I can't stand the stuff.

Dunkin is absolute dishwater.

Tim Horton's doesn't taste as good as it once was. I thought it was me, but maybe it isn't. I'd rather drink McDonald's.

I'm going to purchase Cafe' Bustelo in the future too. My grocer also carries Peet's, so that's on my list as well.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I love Illy.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:09 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m from south Louisiana. Locally the two most popular brands are Community and Mellow Joy. What I like about Community is it’s smooth flavor and is available in a wide variety of roast and flavors. Most, locally drink dark roast. Our favorite is the Cafe Special which is more of an in between roast between medium and dark. I’ve tried Folgers during a poor period in my life. It had a popcorn smell and taste as if they used roasted ground corn to add to the coffee grounds to make it cheaper. Nescafé instant and Community instant are pretty good alternatives to brewing a whole pot of coffee. Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee in the afternoon.
I live here, too. I use Community Between Roast, pretty much exclusively. I use a stovetop percolator. The price has gone crazy, though!
My adult son lives in South Louisiana, too, and for a short time he worked for Mello Joy. During that time, I used that brand, but I really prefer Community.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:25 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Peets Coffee, Green Mountain Coffee, New England Coffee, Dunkin' Coffee are the ones from that list that I enjoy.

Tried Tim Horton's recently for the first time and there's just no flavor. At the other end of the spectrum is Starbucks which I can't stomach due to the strong burnt taste.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, seeing Starbucks that high on the list is suspicious. Awful stuff. A local roaster explained to me that normally coffee is roasted at X temp for 14 minutes but that Starbucks roasts at 8 minutes at a very high temp, hence the burnt taste--which, apparently, some people like. However, I suspect that part of their popularity is a younger customer base that likes the flavored feu-feu trendy coffee drinks with cream things and sweeteners that hide the bad taste and really don't know what good coffee tastes like.

Dunkin was once good, now is dishwatery and weak, and from what I hear, Tim's was good once too and is now watery.

I buy a good coffee here in Ontario that is sold under the PresIdent's Choice label, available at supermarkets and drugstores. Strong, robust flavor.

I do like Peet's when I am home in the States. Would like to try the Café Bustelo. I always see it in the stores. A bit surprised that Community Coffee has been around so long. I thought it was a new brand. Showed up during COVID and was pretty cheap so I tried it. Was OK.
Tim Horton's isn't as good as it used to be, agree, but would still drink it over Starbucks or Dunkin.

Peets is also tasty.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Peets Coffee, Green Mountain Coffee, New England Coffee, Dunkin' Coffee are the ones from that list that I enjoy.

Tried Tim Horton's recently for the first time and there's just no flavor. At the other end of the spectrum is Starbucks which I can't stomach due to the strong burnt taste.

I love Green Mountain Dark Magic.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I love Green Mountain Dark Magic.
I'll have to try that some time. These days I'm still only buying my favorites but I try to get them on sale. Dark Magic. I'll look for it.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I'll have to try that some time. These days I'm still only buying my favorites but I try to get them on sale. Dark Magic. I'll look for it.
Dark Magic is a dark roast. It's not for people who love Dunkin's dish water. LOL. I've got a lot of new coffees on my list too. Can't wait to try them all.

Many times I'll shop on Amazon for K-cup sampler boxes. I also have a Keurig in addition to my Mr. Coffee drip brewer. The sampler boxes come with all different coffees to try. My first cup of Dark Magic came in one of those sampler boxes.

I think it might be time for me to purchase another K-cup sampler.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:21 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

I also like Green Mountain, and I buy New England, too. I think the Breakfast Blend is the one I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink