Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 10:58 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Unfortunately not. 1 lives in elder housing so doesn't even have a real kitchen, another has a kitchen but shall we say is a bit challenged when it comes to cooking and is pretty unreliable, and the rest are traveling some distance to get here. I have tried the them helping out - and they have offered. It just turned out that it ended up being more of a disaster with their help then without. I prefer to keep them out of the way.

If I set a crockpot up out on the porch (this is New England, so it will likely be cold) do you think it would be able to keep warm in the cold?
Then I'd say, pick a nice place that caters-- at least some of the tougher components-- and everybody kicks in a few bucks. The idea of a nice, huge, home-cooked Thanksgiving dinner is a nice one, but not always realistic, and if that's the case, it's okay to "cheat" a little to make it logically feasible. As someone else said-- the point is getting together, not having a perfect Hallmark/Norman Rockwell/Martha Stewart moment. I'd rather eat Hot Pockets with the people who matter than slave over a big fancy dinner and stress myself out so much I don't have time to see the people I'm supposed to be spending time with/enjoy it.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:05 AM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My late sister in law was a floral designer, and didn’t like to cook. She always brought a beautiful centerpiece for the table and it was much appreciated.
I used to do my own centerpiece before having my child. Now, I just get one from Costco, and it’s very beautiful and not pricey.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:11 AM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
I pre-made most of my side dishes the day before too. You can keep your side dishes warm by putting them in oven after taking the turkey out (with the oven off). I also use a 3 sides food warmer (electric) to put the rest of the foods there for second servings, like green beans casserole, smashed potatoes, sweet potatoes casserole…. I just cover the left over turkey with parchment paper, then foil paper on top to keep them warm. If need to be hot, quick heating in microwave will do.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:33 AM

577 posts, read 568,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'd rather eat Hot Pockets with the people who matter than slave over a big fancy dinner and stress myself out so much I don't have time to see the people I'm supposed to be spending time with/enjoy it.

For some that's the drawback, for others that's the goal.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:11 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Doing Thanksgiving again this year for the family. Usually I have an extra helping hand, but they are not going to be around this year. Anyone else, well... they tend to be less help more hindrance.

I don't have a lot of counter space, and need to figure out how to make everything come out together in time to eat without getting cold. Menu is pretty set - turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, squash, carrots, and one other veg, warm rolls, and cranberry sauce but someone else will make that and bring it. People like things simple, so no fancy casseroles or anything.

My challenge is that I have one oven, and won't have access to my microwave (has to be put away to make room - not that I'm broke up over it).
Lots of good suggestions here. Just commenting that you're reminding me that in 2007 my daughter and I cooked a fantastic Thanksgiving meal for 5 in the tiny kitchen I had at the time. It was amazing how well everything turned out in spite of the small space. It was a quaint, 1930's kitchen complete with era tiles and coke bottle glass separating the kitchen from the dining room.

You can do it!

Old 11-10-2022, 12:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Doing Thanksgiving again this year for the family. Usually I have an extra helping hand, but they are not going to be around this year. Anyone else, well... they tend to be less help more hindrance.

I don't have a lot of counter space, and need to figure out how to make everything come out together in time to eat without getting cold. Menu is pretty set - turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, squash, carrots, and one other veg, warm rolls, and cranberry sauce but someone else will make that and bring it. People like things simple, so no fancy casseroles or anything.

My challenge is that I have one oven, and won't have access to my microwave (has to be put away to make room - not that I'm broke up over it). I figure the turkey and stuffing go in together. It has to sit for 15 minutes which gives me a few minutes to put things in casseroles, etc. I have to heat up the rolls, so I can't put things int eh over to stay warm. The Killer items are mashing the potatoes and squash while also managing to carve the turkey.

So... how can I make mashed potatoes and squash ahead of time, and still have them warm? I could use a slow cooker, but that takes up super valuable counter space. Not to mention I don't want to get up 6 hours ahead of time just to make mashed potatoes. I was thinking about doing those the night before and reheating in the crock pot, but it seems everyone is suddenly against that idea for food safety reasons.

Any suggestions?
Do you have a crockpot? Can you buy a prepared turkey? Are you against using frozen foods? Prepared.

Basically, how homemade do you want everything to be? There are many short cuts.

How do you want the squash prepared? Do you have a certain recipe? Or are you open to others.

Really think about a pre-cooked turkey from a place with good recommendations.

As a vegetable, most people like broccoli. I prefer green beans - not the mushroom soup variety but buy string beans - fresh or frozen and sprinkle with slivered almonds toasted gently in butter.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Heating trays My Mother-in-law on the other hand had the Wondrous Heating Trays. Everything was put on them while hot and they REMAINED as hot or warm as she wanted. ...
Food warmers (electric) is what we are doing this year for multiple reasons, biggest one is it removes "last minute" turkey coming out of oven then making gravy, mashing potatoes and more. Doing a buffet this year with 3 hot items (in warmers) and on the table have yummy plated appetizers, vegetables on skewers, and desserts. Help yourselves :-)

Buffet allows us to socialize while people help themselves to food. I'll be hitting Trader Joes Tuesday before for fun things to put out. We will still be cooking 75% this year but most done days before then some last minute cooking that morning. In future years more food will be purchased, less items cooked.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:44 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
Quote:

My challenge is that I have one oven, and won't have access to my microwave (has to be put away to make room - not that I'm broke up over it). I figure the turkey and stuffing go in together. It has to sit for 15 minutes which gives me a few minutes to put things in casseroles, etc. I have to heat up the rolls, so I can't put things int eh over to stay warm. The Killer items are mashing the potatoes and squash while also managing to carve the turkey.

So... how can I make mashed potatoes and squash ahead of time, and still have them warm? I could use a slow cooker, but that takes up super valuable counter space. Not to mention I don't want to get up 6 hours ahead of time just to make mashed potatoes. I was thinking about doing those the night before and reheating in the crock pot, but it seems everyone is suddenly against that idea for food safety reasons.

Any suggestions?
You can put your slow cooker in another room.

You can use multiple slow cookers.

If you live in an old apartment use different circuits.

You can do the rolls after you serve it takes a second to reheat.

How about boiled and SMASHED potatoes not pefectly mashed.

You can buy extra counter space with one of these fold up tables in four, six or eight foot size and use them to serve on after cooking. I ADORE mine, so useful.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifetime...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-10-2022, 05:59 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
You could set the crockpot on a stool right next to the outlet. But the porch will work fine, too. Growing up, we had plenty of crockpot meals slow cooked on the porch.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:40 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Reconsider the jarred gravy lol. Heinz is pretty good, especially doctored with drippings. My grocery deli has gravy this year. Haven't tried it but it looks good. Might check that.

Set the table and organize serving/cooking vessels the day before.

Make mashed potatoes in the pot you boil them in. You can pare/chop them in the time you planned to set the table. Boil, drain, add butter/milk, mash and put a lid on. In a heavy duty pan they should stay hot or you can reheat for a few minutes adding a little liquid if necessary. No need to pre-heat milk and butter if you set it out in the morning to get to room temp.

Baby carrots can be roasted in the oven if you size the stuffing and carrot pans to fit your second rack. Toss them in olive oil, butter and honey. You could also skip the honey and add brussel sprouts to the same pan if you like them. Onions as well.....large petals or quarter the onion.

Frozen broccoli or green peas are an easy stove top green veggie. Also perfect for microwaving if you manage to keep that plugged in.

When everyone is at the table and your helper has everything else on the table, pop the rolls in and join them. Set a timer if you are forgetful. By the time you say grace and pass all the food around, you can pop up and get the rolls to serve just in time!

If you want your apple pie warm stick it in the oven before you take the rolls to the table. If serving ice cream with the pie, set it out a few minutes before pie time so its easy to scoop out.

Make a list of everything you plan to do with times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink