Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 08:15 AM

8,698 posts, read 4,940,687 times

Advertisements

Oh yes......Raisins, they are on my disgusting list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 11:51 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,496,994 times
The most enjoyable fruit personally has to be mangoes and peaches. They are so juicy and delicious and they are both found fresh and in cans.

The fruit I can't really stand much are sour grapes, well because it's too sour!

Old 12-16-2022, 12:37 PM

23,301 posts, read 23,684,746 times
My favorite fruits:: strawberries, black grapes, green grapes, mangos (especially Ataulfo mangos from Mexico), oranges, blackberries, blueberries, apples, Asian pears and avocados.

Favorite veggies:: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, collard greens, bell peppers, Bok Choy, butternut squash, onions, sweet potato, celery, okra, spaghetti squash, zucchini and watercress.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:41 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,563,362 times
Can't stand lima beans and brussel spouts.

Love tomatoes/jalapenos/onions, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, red peppers. Every week I roast up a pan of vegetables - zucchini, yellow squash, onions, cherry tomatoes, parsnips, a little Parmesan.

Favorite fruit - raspberries, especially in a little granola cereal with almond milk

Old 12-18-2022, 06:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,170,544 times
Favorite fruits: Fresh ripe pineapple, Big, juicy ripe California strawberries from the farm stand, and cherries.

Favorite vegetable: Roasted Asparagus or artichokes

Worst fruit: Tomatoes, hated them all my life.

Worst veggie: Peas

Old 12-19-2022, 06:17 AM

513 posts, read 732,519 times
Default agree with bananas...

... don't like the taste and especially texture of bananas. Also, some beans, such as Great Northerns; however, I like black eyed peas, small lima beans, and green beans if seasoned well, --eaten with cornbread, of course

Old 12-19-2022, 07:11 AM

9,885 posts, read 9,494,667 times
I like fruit and vegetables but sometimes the texture is what makes the difference.

Asparagus is delicious when you get it fresh or frozen, but never out of the can, where it is slimy.

Even overcooked broccoli is terrible, but when you make it right, it is delicious.

Sometimes I go to the store and try a new fruit accidentally and did not know i liked it. Like star fruit. When you slice it, it is in the shape of a star, it has a delicious flavor but you might not realize it and pass it up at the store.

Apples have different flavors, so the best one is Fuji or Honeycrisp. Golden Delicious apples are the worst flavorless apples.

So my fave fruit is watermelon or peaches from Michigan (actually all fruit from Michigan is superior to any where else).

My fave veg is spinach (but not overcooked).

My worst fruit is golden delicious apples and the worst veg is kale (too strong of flavor). Or okra, which is slimy.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:30 AM

14,205 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So my fave fruit is watermelon or peaches from Michigan (actually all fruit from Michigan is superior to anywhere else).
I don't know if you're being tongue in cheek or not, but local fruit is almost always superior. I buy California peaches, because by the time the peaches from Michigan got to me, they would not be so good. Or they would have had to be picked unripe to keep from spoiling.

If you're in Chicago, of course Michigan is not so far away.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 9,494,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know if you're being tongue in cheek or not, but local fruit is almost always superior. I buy California peaches, because by the time the peaches from Michigan got to me, they would not be so good. Or they would have had to be picked unripe to keep from spoiling.

If you're in Chicago, of course Michigan is not so far away.
Oh no, I'm serious. I live in Illinois near Chicago. So in the summers, I would drive to southwest Michigan and get the peaches, cherries, blueberries etc they sell in the roadside stands. Huge difference! The peaches were so juicy it would drip down your chin. I brought some to the office and everyone loved them. the taste is so different than the peaches in illinois.

If you get Michigan peaches, try the "donut peaches" (or "flathead peaches) they look weird. they look like a donut shape, but they are super sweet.

I'm not sure if I've had a California peach.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:17 AM

14,205 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm not sure if I've had a California peach.
Hopefully not, unless you've been to California!

I have not had a Michigan peach, because I've only been to Michigan in the winter when there were none, and there is no reason at all to ship fruit from there to California. The less travel, the better for the fruit, and we have excellent local fruit here. Everything is good from roadside stands/farmer's markets.

(We do also have donut peaches).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink