Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 08:21 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,238,521 times

Advertisements

The only end of a green bean that needs cutting off is the stem end, which is probably perfectly edible but can get a little hard if it isn't really fresh. But cutting off just one end is too ticky for me in the kitchen so I just grab them and cut off both ends, then I don't have to inspect each one to see which end is which. I do three or four at a time, just line them up with the knife on the breadboard and cut all the ends off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 10:44 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,952,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Salad greens need to be bite sized, too, not scaled for a hippo.
Made me laugh because I once had lunch made by French relative (in-law) and she insisted that big leaves of lettuce were preferred by French, tearing them up was not allowed.

She insisted on a few other things I didn't agree with, such as not liking our favorite fish store (they had off-the boat fresh fish) because it didn't smell fishy enough. She divorced her husband and didn't see her again but her offspring continue the big lettuce.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:57 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Why not both?
The only part of the bean that always needs to be removed is the tip of the stem end where the pod was once attached to the rest of the plant. The other end is perfectly fine to eat.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:19 PM

5,657 posts, read 3,483,508 times
My brothers and sisters and I spent many hours when we were kids helping my mom string green beans. During the summer harvest season, she would buy them by the bushel at the farmer's market and can them so that we could have green beans to eat year-round.

As I recall, we broke off one end and pulled the string off of both sides of the bean. Then we broke the bean once or twice. I still recall the variety of green beans. They were called "Half Runner". They were a bit smaller in size than "Pole Beans" and tasted much better, IMO.

They were delicious when fixed with potatoes, a piece of ham, sliced tomatoes, and cornbread. Yum!

Old 11-23-2023, 10:10 PM

1,301 posts, read 913,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The only part of the bean that always needs to be removed is the tip of the stem end where the pod was once attached to the rest of the plant. The other end is perfectly fine to eat.
Thx. So, I hear what you are saying, but...

Would you want to trim off not only the left ends, but the right ends as well? Even if those right ends are ok to eat...
Attached Thumbnails
Trim the ends off green beans please-gb.jpg  

Old 11-23-2023, 11:23 PM

14,182 posts, read 11,431,159 times
I only trim off the stem ends. The other end is completely edible and also tender; why waste it?

I am too young to remember stringing beans. Farmers started to develop stringless varieties in the late 19th century, by the time I can remember fresh green beans, the strings were completely gone.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thx. So, I hear what you are saying, but...
Would you want to trim off not only the left ends, but the right ends as well? Even if those right ends are ok to eat...
No. Never did.
Unless, for whatever reason, you need to cut them all the same size.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I only trim off the stem ends. The other end is completely edible and also tender; why waste it?

I am too young to remember stringing beans. Farmers started to develop stringless varieties in the late 19th century, by the time I can remember fresh green beans, the strings were completely gone.
Not sure what you meant with stringless green beans.
This?
https://www.lacademie.com/string-beans-vs-green-beans/

There are plenty of string beans on the market - fresh, frozen or canned.

And older green beans do have strings when they are picked past their prime.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:31 AM

1,809 posts, read 1,395,174 times
Mom lost all her lower teeth in her late 20s. We've always, ALWAYS snapped off both ends, and cooked the beans thoroughly (no al dente, thank you), so she can chew them.

Because we can beans harvested from the garden, we also snap the beans in half to fit more into a jar. Now that Mom and we are all old, the smaller size bean is easier to eat. We told the follow-on two generations why we snap both ends and snap into even pieces; they choose to maintain the tradition.

As for those ends that "go to waste," no, they don't. They go into animal feed or the compost pile, eventually returning to the garden soil.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:22 AM

14,182 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure what you meant with stringless green beans.
This?
https://www.lacademie.com/string-beans-vs-green-beans/

There are plenty of string beans on the market - fresh, frozen or canned.

And older green beans do have strings when they are picked past their prime.
As your link points out, string beans and green beans are the same thing. They all used to have strings. The modern varieties no longer have strings, as the link also mentions. That's why the name "green beans" is winning out over "string beans," which no longer makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink