Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 11:44 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,533,505 times

Advertisements

So has anybody tried this from the frozen foods aisle?
I figured this should be somewhat decent considering his reputation but this was Awful!
I cooked it in the Air fryer following the directions on the box and I might as well have cooked Cardboard and eaten it.
The coating on the fish which was Pollock fell off with no seasoning at all and chips / fries were hard as a rock.
I paid nearly $6 for this and would have been better off buying a bag of Gorton's Fish filets and cutting up a potato myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 08:41 AM

26,743 posts, read 12,962,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So has anybody tried this from the frozen foods aisle?
I figured this should be somewhat decent considering his reputation but this was Awful!
I cooked it in the Air fryer following the directions on the box and I might as well have cooked Cardboard and eaten it.
The coating on the fish which was Pollock fell off with no seasoning at all and chips / fries were hard as a rock.
I paid nearly $6 for this and would have been better off buying a bag of Gorton's Fish filets and cutting up a potato myself.
Ramsay is a very wealthy man, and according to media reports has a net worth of around $765 million USD (£610 million), and earns over $125 million a year (£90 million).

As of earlier in 2023, Ramsay had 58 restaurants across a variety of names and owned 12 bars and restaurants in London alone, and then you have the fish and chip type chains and grocery store (supermarket) food with his name on it, as well as al the television and media work.

Whether Ramsay manages to maintain the quality control in relation to every brand is debatable, as he must be extremely busy.

What is Gordon Ramsay’s net worth and how many restaurants does he own? - The Sun (March 2023)

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-23-2023 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-23-2023, 08:57 AM

16,810 posts, read 16,043,838 times
We ate at Gordon Ramsay's Fish and Chips restaurant in Orlando, FL and it was amazingly good. The best fish and chips that we have ever had.

I had no idea that it is now available in the frozen food aisle.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:05 PM

32,684 posts, read 35,814,603 times
Would the coating have stuck to the fish if it had been seasoned?

Thanks for the warning because I might have bought that.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:25 PM

126,795 posts, read 11,648,795 times
I like the battered cod from Costco. I like it so much, so I probably wouldn't buy a box for $6

Old 11-26-2023, 06:47 AM

4,877 posts, read 2,852,935 times
I’ve not seen it in the stores, but then I typically don’t even look in the frozen section anymore. The quality of frozen seafood products declined over the years, and most are a pitiful joke when compared to the marketing picture on the front of the box.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:42 PM

16,339 posts, read 29,977,675 times
If Gordon Ramsey would come into a restaurant that I was running, I would send my staff down to Krogers and buy HIS product and serve it to him. I would certainly have a good laugh when he renders his smug opinions.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:57 PM

1,269 posts, read 886,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Ramsay is a very wealthy man, and according to media reports has a net worth of around $765 million USD (£610 million), and earns over $125 million a year (£90 million).
JHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Not surprised. Many of these celeb chefs just add their name to a product. It's not their recipe; someone who works for the company formulated the food themselves, and the chef gives them the ok to put their name on it, in exchange for $X. Sometimes the chef actually tastes the food, and I am sure sometimes they don't. I don't know what the case is here, but just b/c a chef's name is on a product, doesn't mean it will be good; if you are already worth $765 million, and continue to earn $125 million a year (nowadays the interest on that alone is well over $5mil a year) you might not be that concerned with your rep. Which may make most of the rest of us say, hey - wait a min... how could you not be concerned with your rep???, which I understand, but...

This is not something I would normally buy, but now I may have to try it just out of curiosity!

Old 11-26-2023, 08:14 PM

1,545 posts, read 697,375 times
Like the last poster said, he has little to do with it. It's all about the money, and monetizing the 'brand' or whatever. Other celebrities do this with perfumes, clothing, etc. Do you really think wealthy celebrities are sitting around designing clothes, inventing perfumes, or interested in making foods for mass production? They're approached by their business managers for the next profitable scheme.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 550,776 times
Actually I am surprised that it is so bad.

His name is suppose to equal quality. So it doesn't make sense that he would put his name on a shoddy product.

If he is worth so much there is no reason to risk your reputation by putting it on a cruddy box of fish and chips?

Think of it this way. If his fish and chips are buzzed about online about how horrible it is, etc etc then he loses credibility in everything else that has his name on it... his multimillion $$$ empire.

Maybe you got a bad batch or your way of cooking it was wrong?

TBF I doubt any box of frozen fish and chips will be top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink