Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 07:39 AM

578 posts, read 300,440 times

Advertisements

I’m not a fan of most seafood and many Asians dishes feature fish etc seafood and/or fish sauce. So I’m limited in Asian restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
My adopted brother was Korean. My adopted grandson (adopted from the same orphanage as my brother!) is Korean. My DIL married to my oldest son is Korean. So I have become part Korean sort of accidentally! LOL and I love most Korean food. I also lived in Japan for several years so I have a lot of experience with Asian foods from those areas.

My oldest son (married to the Korean woman) lived in Guam for several years. He said there were tons of Asians living there and also on vacation there, and now he and his wife live in Seoul (where I am going in a few weeks).

I can deal with most Asian foods except for some seafood and all bugs. In fact, I like most Asian foods. Oh, I also don't want to eat anything alive or still moving (or both).

Old 02-19-2024, 08:30 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Oh, yeah; I wouldn't eat bugs - specifically, scorpions - either. There's a lot of questionable Asian food, now that you mention it...

Old 02-19-2024, 10:33 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I’m not a fan of most seafood and many Asians dishes feature fish etc seafood and/or fish sauce. So I’m limited in Asian restaurants
With rare exceptions, if you can taste fish sauce in a dish, it's been prepared badly. It's like salt. Use it in proper amounts, it makes the food taste better. Use too much, and the food is nearly inedible.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:56 AM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
With rare exceptions, if you can taste fish sauce in a dish, it's been prepared badly. It's like salt. Use it in proper amounts, it makes the food taste better. Use too much, and the food is nearly inedible.
Agreed. Fish sauce if used properly just adds the umami dimension to the dish.

Though, some people do hate the taste of fish sauce and even a slight taste will put them off. For me I quite like the different "pungent" taste.

BTW, most "Chinese" dishes do not use fish sauce. Fish sauce is more prevalent in Vietnamese, Cambodian dishes.

Chinese dishes do oftentimes use oyster sauce. I love this condiment and it really does add tons of flavour to dishes.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:05 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Anything containing tentacles.
at first glance i read this as "testicles"
so adding that to the list also of 'will not eat'

yes it is served (whale testicles in Japan, chicken testicles in Thailand, lamb testicles in China)
and lest some may be looking down their noses at different countries, must include too that bull testicles are served in the USA and Canada, including Colorado, Idaho, Texas, Montana, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, California, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin. And a bunch of "testicle festivals"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-19-2024 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-19-2024, 01:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
at first glance i read this as "testicles"
so adding that to the list also of 'will not eat'

yes it is served (whale testicles in Japan, chicken testicles in Thailand, lamb testicles in China)
and lest some may be looking down their noses at different countries, must include too that bull testicles are served in the USA and Canada, including Colorado, Idaho, Texas, Montana, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, California, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin. And a bunch of "testicle festivals"
I remember watching foodie shows like Anthony Bourdain's... and a rancher is cutting the testicles off the young bull cows (ouch). They would then gather with all the cowboys and bbq or pan fry the super fresh balls.

Bourdain being Bourdain just shrugs and eats some... he then says "oh creamy".

I like his way of looking @ food. If it tastes good who cares what it is.

But yeah the thought of eating it kinda makes me feel a certain way lol.

In many Asian cuisines - it is nose to tail. EVERYTHING is eaten and they make the weirder cuts (offal etc) a specialty. It was out of necessity (plenty of famine) and now it's just another dish.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:05 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Since I have never been out of the USA I can't say what Asian food I would or would not eat. but from watching Andrew Zimmern I can tell you I won't eat any bugs or larvae, or any undesirable body parts like testicles. I tried Kimchee and I don't like it. Too pungent tasting. That being said I am so used to the Americanized Chinese take out places and Japanese restaurants. I do like Sushi but only salmon and tuna. I always say to my husband if we ever went to China or Japan I'd probably loose weight because many of the delicacy's they enjoy I would let pass my lips. I am sorry if this offends anyone but my palate is not that adventurous. I'd probably eat mostly vegetable and rice.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Sounds like most of the dishes that are *authentic* is a big no here. Anything that is edible or preferred is just American versions.

I doubt most people here would eat real authentic asian food based on descriptions here. There's nothing exotic or fancy, since most asian dishes is about fresh ingredients and eating organ parts or the non muscle parts of the animal.

Raw fish is definitely first choice over cooked. Cooked tuna and salmon just doesn't compared to raw.

Raw oysters also way better than cooked.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:09 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
eating raw fish carries significant health risks.

and yes, i eat and cook and prepare "real authentic Asian food" and have done so since i was a teenager (Cantonese and Szechuan fare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink