Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I once tried Chinese pork intestines. It tasted and smelled like ass.

Funny and gross!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 03:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Since I have never been out of the USA I can't say what Asian food I would or would not eat. but from watching Andrew Zimmern I can tell you I won't eat any bugs or larvae, or any undesirable body parts like testicles. I tried Kimchee and I don't like it. Too pungent tasting. That being said I am so used to the Americanized Chinese take out places and Japanese restaurants. I do like Sushi but only salmon and tuna. I always say to my husband if we ever went to China or Japan I'd probably loose weight because many of the delicacy's they enjoy I would let pass my lips. I am sorry if this offends anyone but my palate is not that adventurous. I'd probably eat mostly vegetable and rice.
I know a woman who went to China for a coupla weeks and lost weight even though they ate out all the time, because the very first dish they handed her was supposedly chicken soup but had chicken feet floating in it and it really turned her off.

Around here and in Guam, my son would send me photos of ""chicken paws" which were just chicken feet. But they are always labeled as "chicken paws."

I made a pear kimchee and it was fantastic by the way. But I like oddish food - just not totally weird food. Mine was not fermented over the winter in a hole in the ground - it just sat on my counter covered up a bit and made strange bubbly noises for about a week!

Old 02-19-2024, 03:47 PM

I have tried all sorts of innards, like menudo for instance, and they were all no bueno. Tripe? Blech! And I actually like a lot of raw sushi and sashimi, and like I said, I am a bit adventurous but not overly so. My son will call me occasionally and tell me "My wife is eating bugs again." OMG! (He will also call and tell me when she is being extra superstitious but I digress.)

I am going to Seoul in a few weeks and I will keep you posted on what I eat - LOL. Don't expect me to eat anything more adventurous than kimchee.

By the way, I need to tell you this - when we adopted my brother from Korea, he smelled like kimchee for about two years - his breath, his SCENT smelled like kimchee. Wow! I have noticed this in other cultures as well. I guess Americans smell weird to them too.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:58 PM

TRUE STORY TIME!

OK, so I lived in military housing many moons ago. Like 35 years ago. It was "our" first assignment together. And one time I had a person come over who smoked. I don't allow smoking in my house so I made her sit at an open window and smoke. Apparently the scent of the cigarette drifted down to the house below (smoking was not against the rules by the way, just against MY rules). The woman below me was Korean. She made kimchee all the time, and when she made it the scent of it wafted all over the place, but I just put up with it because you know, I lived in apartments! She reported me! It went no where but still, the irony was not lost on me.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:02 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
I won't eat dog meat.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:09 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
when i visited Peru, i tried cuy, the local specialty. which is guinea pig.

but i didn't tell my son in middle school about it, until decades later, when he was in his 30s.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:05 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Gosari Namul (Fiddlehead Ferns)- Korean.

The first and only time I had them I vomited violently and had the runs for days.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:43 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I had a good size serving of fried grasshoppers today in a soft opening of a Mexican restaurant.
[some legs were caught in-between my teeth which I had to find another leg to dig pick'em out]

Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is so disgusting. I don't like any foods that "flirt with sadism" in your face. I once saw a video of a live baby octopus. They continued to pour hot sauce on it's head. It was struggling and they were laughing.

I don't have to "respect" other cultures when they involve cruelty. I am not picking on Asian people, but what *some* Asians do to animals before and during slaughter that are horribly cruel. Intentionally cruel.

Still, I enjoy many Asian foods, and I know Asian chefs who are lovely people, and one who agrees that some customs must change. He is a vegan. I am not.

I agree - seems some cultures enjoy torturing animals and I will have nothing to do with them or their food.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:06 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree - seems some cultures enjoy torturing animals and I will have nothing to do with them or their food.
so then...do you eat hot dogs? do you eat chicken? do you eat ham sandwiches and sirloin steak?
because the food industry does not treat animals well.

unless you are a vegetarian, then the animals you eat were killed for your enjoyment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink