Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 11:50 PM

946 posts, read 563,802 times

Advertisements

I like most Asian food, but can't stand Korean food. I don't get the appeal. I've been to 5 Korean restaurants and didn't like any of them. I find it all to be too fatty, too deep fried and they way overdo it on spice(this coming from a guy who orders Indian food extra hot).

Another is Taiwanese. It's not offensively bad, I just find it bland compared to food from other Asian countries.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 12:05 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Taiwanese and Korean dishes are too salty for my taste.
The one reason that kept me away from Korean cuisine is that they have the highest rate of colon cancer.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:42 AM

5,880 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Another is Taiwanese. It's not offensively bad, I just find it bland compared to food from other Asian countries.
I like them all. On a business trip to Taiwan, I ate a lot of stuff that I didn't know what it was, but trusted my colleagues. It was all pretty good. They had a good laugh at me when I started to peel shrimp at one restaurant. I didn't realize they were cooked so the shell was crispy and designed to be eaten. It was very tasty.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:39 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Taiwanese and Korean dishes are too salty for my taste.
The one reason that kept me away from Korean cuisine is that they have the highest rate of colon cancer.
Umm, nope. https://www.wcrf.org/cancer-trends/c...er-statistics/

Old 02-17-2024, 09:00 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I like them all. On a business trip to Taiwan, I ate a lot of stuff that I didn't know what it was, but trusted my colleagues. It was all pretty good. They had a good laugh at me when I started to peel shrimp at one restaurant. I didn't realize they were cooked so the shell was crispy and designed to be eaten. It was very tasty.
I had that same problem when in China. The locals would put the whole shell on shrimp in their mouth and I couldn't help but try to extract the shrimp and spit the peel out - it was not pretty!

Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 AM

116 posts, read 35,643 times
As someone who was born in Bangladesh, I absolutely won't eat curry as it is nasty in my opinion. I absolutely love spicy foods, but curry is too messy for my taste. I also will NOT consume meat that comes from goat.

I am also not a fan of orange chicken when it comes to Chinese food. This is because it is not spicy.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:35 AM

2,055 posts, read 996,765 times
Vietnamese pho - a watery bone broth with sliced meat and noodles. I've tried a few Vietnamese restaurants over the years and find the cuisine too meat based, or just not to my liking. Fertilized duck egg with an embryo inside is a popular street food in Vietnam & Cambodia...ugh.

Japanese incorporates seafood (both animal and plant matter) into almost everything...snacks, chips, cookies, condiments, you name it. I've seen products like this at Asian markets that I'd never buy.

And anything squirmy/wormy or snake-like...eels, sea slugs, "exotic" sea creatures.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:36 AM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times
Balut, or "Thousand year old eggs"

Quote:
Balut is a fertilized developing egg embryo that is boiled or steamed and eaten from the shell.
I first saw this when I was stationed on Guam in the '70's, hard pass. Stinky and gross. The locals seemed to enjoy it. then again, a fair number of them also ate dog. No thanks.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:32 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
No Balut for me, or dog or cat either. I like all the flavors of the seasonings in all Asian foods I have tried. My faves are Indian & Thai

Old 02-17-2024, 10:54 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They must have done a great job in the last 10 years to better the health of their people.
But I still prefer not to eat cold and unheated kimchi.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink