Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 05:46 AM

7,152 posts, read 4,873,634 times

Advertisements

Again, this is a “don’t want to” not a “can’t” list.

I agree about the ketchup on hot dogs, but I kinda like ketchup, mayo and mustard on my burger.

Kombucha. For some reason all I can think of is a jar of rotting vegetables. I know the commercially made stuff is not rotten, but still, ugh. And I realize sauerkraut is similar, but I love sauerkraut!

Beef liver - yuck! But I like chicken livers.

Well done steak, yuck.

Pink centered pork, double yuck.

Sous vide chicken, yuck. It’s a texture thing I think.

Love raw sushi! Our local sushi place makes a couple of plates garnished with a raw quail egg, that egg won’t go in my mouth for sure, but the raw sushi, yes please!

I really can’t think of a lot of things I won’t eat, or at least try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 05:54 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,222,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve started buying hooked and caught tuna, to make myself feel better. Its still from foreign countries, so who knows what the heck.
I think I must have put this in the wrong place. Oops.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:14 AM

5,207 posts, read 3,136,446 times
I don’t understand the notion that every savory food must be served with cheese of some kind. Salads with feta, Romano in and on stuff, sliced cheese on every sandwich. There should be a law with heavy fines for combing cheese with seafood, and the death penalty for making tuna melts in communal microwaves!

Old 02-25-2024, 09:04 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,503,257 times
I don't understand the love of chicken wings. Putting a bunch of little, gristly bones on the table with a shred of meat on each one, often covered in sticky sauces has no appeal to me. Unlike the OP, boneless wings actually seem worth the effort to me.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:39 AM

14,390 posts, read 11,802,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't understand the love of chicken wings. Putting a bunch of little, gristly bones on the table with a shred of meat on each one, often covered in sticky sauces has no appeal to me. Unlike the OP, boneless wings actually seem worth the effort to me.
I guess they are for people like me who like meat, but not in large quantities. The tasty little bites on a chicken wing are appealing to me, while I have no interest in plowing through a large chicken breast or thigh.

And I think chicken wings are fun to eat, which may be linked to the fact that they're the only part I ever got until I was over 12 years old, but I'm clearly not the only one with this opinion because there are whole restaurants dedicated to wings.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:03 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I guess they are for people like me who like meat, but not in large quantities. The tasty little bites on a chicken wing are appealing to me, while I have no interest in plowing through a large chicken breast or thigh.

And I think chicken wings are fun to eat, which may be linked to the fact that they're the only part I ever got until I was over 12 years old, but I'm clearly not the only one with this opinion because there are whole restaurants dedicated to wings.
Well, chicken wings are typically sold and purchased in fairly large amounts. It's not like people eat a chicken wing. It's usually anywhere between 6 and 30 with the average being easily 10+. And it's considerably more caloric and unhealthy than eating a chicken breast because (1) it's dark fattier meat than the breast and (2) you get the worst skin/meat ratio of any type of chicken serving (3) it's usually intentionally smothered in heavy sauce.

I like wings personally, but they're too unhealthy to eat on a regular basis. Also, I'm very reluctant to order them in a restaurant because of how messy they are to eat. Maybe that's why they tend to be a staple in places where people get hammered i.e. where decorum tends to go out the window pretty quickly anyway.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:12 AM

14,390 posts, read 11,802,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well, chicken wings are typically sold and purchased in fairly large amounts. It's not like people eat a chicken wing. It's usually anywhere between 6 and 30 with the average being easily 10+. And it's considerably more caloric and unhealthy than eating a chicken breast because (1) it's dark fattier meat than the breast and (2) you get the worst skin/meat ratio of any type of chicken serving (3) it's usually intentionally smothered in heavy sauce.

I like wings personally, but they're too unhealthy to eat on a regular basis. Also, I'm very reluctant to order them in a restaurant because of how messy they are to eat. Maybe that's why they tend to be a staple in places where people get hammered i.e. where decorum tends to go out the window pretty quickly anyway.
I don't eat wings at restaurants or wings which are covered with sauce. I buy a rotisserie or very occasionally a fried chicken for my family and I have never known a chicken to have more than two wings. So I eat two. I would explode if I ate 10 chicken wings at once.

As usual, whether a given food is "healthy" or "unhealthy" depends largely on how it is prepared and how much of it you eat. And as far as that goes, I don't consider dark meat inherently unhealthier than white meat; it actually contains more nutrients.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:38 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,651,460 times
You people are weird...... I will eat most anything if decently prepared and I love food. I only buy Boars Head cold cuts for occasional sandwiches. I buy as much organic as I can afford. I have cut way back on bakery sweets. I eat lots of fruits, any kind. Vegetables are my thing, growing up in the South. I love a piece of Unsweet** cornbread.

Country fried anything can be problematic but as someone said above, I grew up on the pounded thin beef, cooked with sauted onions and a good skillet brown gravy and homemade mashed potatoes.

I really look at some of these lists and think I am blest. Stomach ulcers run in my family but I must have a cast iron stomach but as I said, it must be prepared well and as fresh as posssible.

Layoff the grits hate !! I could eat grits and eggs, 3 times a day and I make fabulous soft, fluffy scrambled eggs. Plus, I love avocado on sourdough toast, sprinkled with good bacon and diced fresh tomato.

Interesting thread.

Ps: I hate Cream of Wheat.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:24 AM

24,770 posts, read 11,102,386 times
Quote:
There is a long thread about wings on CD.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:52 AM

130,856 posts, read 12,212,285 times
Quote:
I agree I dislike chicken wings as a dish, all bone & fat. I will eat the wings off a rotisserie or roast chicken, but not a plate of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink