Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:33 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times

Advertisements

I will list items that I don't like..

Boneless chicken wings - Basically chicken nuggets shaped as wings
Chicken Breast - The absolutely most bland part of the chicken
Popcorn shrimp - Really? It looks and taste nothing like shrimp or where is the shrimp?
Tuna sandwich - Quite possibly the worst seafood dish ever created, taste more like chicken than tuna.
Bologna cheese sandwich - They serve that to kids and immates at prisons. The worst kind of mystery meat.
Fried fish fillet with cheese stuffed - Another really bad combo.
Turkey with gravy, Thanksgiving - Traditional but the most bland and boring dish. Rather have a smoked turkey leg.
Pea soup - I love peas but crushed into a soup, taste worst than celery soup.
Avocado Toast - Quite possibly the most overrated Millennial and Gen Z dish. Avocado taste better straight or as a dip than eaten with bread. Because it doesn't melt like butter and it has contrasting taste and texture. That is why you never see people eat avocado and bagel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I can tolerate almost everything you mentioned except bologna (yuck). I've never had cheese-stuffed fish (??) and I'm not crazy about shrimp, but I would at least try them.

I actually really like tuna sandwiches, chicken breast, split pea soup (especially my homemade version), and avocado toast. A piece of toast with a little butter and some slices of avocado sprinkled with salt, yummm.

My own list would include:

Cheeseburgers. I love cheese and and I love burgers but I don't want cheese on my burger.
"American cheese," either in a block or those plastic-wrapped slices.
Pancakes or waffles with margarine and corn syrup. Only real butter and maple syrup is acceptable.
Country fried steak. Batter-frying steak is weird and the thick white gravy is kind of nasty. That stuff also eliminates:
Biscuits and gravy.
Peanut butter and jelly. Like them separately, not together.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Chicken Breast is OK if cooked in a sauce, such as in Arroz con Pollo, or fricassee.
I actually love a good Tuna sandwich.
Bologna is good in a sandwich when it's been fried crispy.
My favorite soup is my Split Pea, but I make it with Linguica in it.

I agree with you on the rest.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:27 AM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Popcorn shrimp - Really? It looks and taste nothing like shrimp or where is the shrimp?
Tuna sandwich - Quite possibly the worst seafood dish ever created, taste more like chicken than tuna.
Bologna cheese sandwich - They serve that to kids and immates at prisons. The worst kind of mystery meat.
Turkey with gravy, Thanksgiving - Traditional but the most bland and boring dish. Rather have a smoked turkey leg.
Avocado Toast - Quite possibly the most overrated Millennial and Gen Z dish. Avocado taste better straight or as a dip than eaten with bread. Because it doesn't melt like butter and it has contrasting taste and texture. That is why you never see people eat avocado and bagel.
I love a good Everything Bagel with a perfectly ripe avocado.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:16 AM

17,572 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Boneless wings, it depends. I mean, yeah, they are chicken nuggets, but they're not McNuggets. Or shouldn't be. In general, boneless wings are all cuts of breast meat, much like tenders. Just smaller.

As for the breast being the blandest part of the chicken.. I don't disagree, but.. That's why you season. Toss a little Old Bay on there, it's not bland anymore. I've gotten into a Caribbean Jerk marinade that's quite good. Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce..

Popcorn shrimp.. Again, depends where you get it and what it is. I've gotten some that's just breaded minced shrimp and that's not good.

Tuna salad.. If made right, is quite nice. Try some Jalapenos in it. Oh, and Starkist or whoever does the 'packets' has a sweet and spicy one. That's REALLY good.

Bologna.. Yeah.. Ok.. With you. About ANY processed luncheon meat I don't overly care for.

Fish and cheese.. No. Just no. Those two things do NOT go together for me. I'm usually not a fan of chicken and cheese, either, but.. That one I have exceptions for. Chicken Cordon Bleu.. A nice chicken and broccoli casserole..

The rest.. Yeah, I'm not a fan of. Though, I'll say that the best part of Thanksgiving is the turkey sandwiches the days afterwards. I don't care for pea soup, but love a good corn chowder (No need for chicken in it).. and I don't really get avocado toast.. But I love good guacamole.

Some of the 'southern' dishes that I won't do.. Pear Salad. What sick bastard came up with the idea of fruit, mayo and cheese?

Sweet cornbread. What? It's not a cake. Leave the sugar out. Absolutely ruins a good cornbread.

Turnip Greens or Collard Greens. These are usually doused in Vinegar and i'm no fan of vinegar, so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Country fried steak. Batter-frying steak is weird and the thick white gravy is kind of nasty. That stuff also eliminates:
Biscuits and gravy.

Blasphemer.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Potato salad ….

Baked beans

Old 02-22-2024, 08:57 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Hamburgers that have ketchup and mustard on it. Ketchup is for Burgers and mustard for hot dogs. Don't care for Combo together on a burger. Also peanut butter on a burger sounds kind of off to me and I haven't tried it but plan to one day to see what all the hype is. Bacon Jam too sweet for me. My mom got us a jar at Christmas and I am not a fan even though I love bacon. I was hoping it would be more savory.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:31 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Also peanut butter on a burger sounds kind of off to me and I haven't tried it but plan to one day to see what all the hype is. Bacon Jam too sweet for me. My mom got us a jar at Christmas and I am not a fan even though I love bacon. I was hoping it would be more savory.
Are either of these "popular American foods"? Haven't heard of either one.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:12 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
Anything with high fructose corn syrup, it is foul & addicting & makes people fat. I"m convinced it's the cause of the type 2 diabetes epidemic.

I don't like dry, leathery scrambled eggs, the way they are cooked in most American breakfasts.

Homemade pea soup is very good. I make mine with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, smoked ham hock. The green slime in a can is gross.

I don't know what popcorn shrimp is, but I think it involves breading, which I definitely don't like.

I don't make turkey anymore, but when I did, we made it in the Weber kettle, nice smoky flavor, crispy golden brown skin, moist & tender meat, tasty drippings for gravy. Cooked any other way, I don't like turkey, yes it's bland & dry.

Last edited by CalWorth; 02-22-2024 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 10:08 PM

32 posts, read 19,892 times
For me, I think rare cooked steak. I don't like it. I want it to be well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink