Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 08:22 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

My husbands friend grew up like this. Every day of the week Monday to Sunday it was the same meal on each night. For example every Sunday was Pasta, meatballs and spaghetti, every Monday was something else and so on. She still does this even today. I prefer variety every day and week. When he visits her in Florida he does the cooking because she makes the same boring stuff every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 10:29 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I suspect a lot of families eat that way. That wasn't what happened in my own household where I might only repeat a recipe twice a year.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM

130,072 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I did that for q while , as an adult, but I was not rigid. If Tuesdays was chicken, there were a variety of ways to prepare or season the chicken. I did it for budget reasons, it worked out OK. The side dishes we always varied. So chicken might be baked or in a curry.
As a child, Sundays was always a roast dinner, Mom would put it in the oven while we went to Church. But it was different meats every week, some beef, pork, chicken or lamb. It was always delicious.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Only for weekend breakfasts. There were 9 of us kids, and I did a lot of the cooking after age 9-10 since our mother was almost always pregnant and after 5 had some struggles with it. Saturday was always pancakes, and it took about 1/2 box of bisquick. Then on Sunday, it was always cornbread, with butter and honey. That was a 9"x13" pan and every bit was gone. On the weekdays we are all on our own, with the older helping the younger siblings, usually having cold cereal, hot cereal or just toast. Oh, and it was powdered skim milk, usually made the day before but if not, lumpy and warm.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:55 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
No, but for 6 years my mother, my sister and I moved in with another divorced woman and two of her kids and the moms would actually plan dinners for a full month in advance and post the schedule. I didn't know this was weird at the time, but I do now. I also understand (now) why they did it (save money, stay on task, etc.) but also marvel at the energy it must have taken to do that for such a long time.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:10 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Sounds like the school lunch menu that was posted weekly. We would be either excited or disgusted knowing what was in store for us from the cafeteria at lunch. At home my mother always had a menu of dinners planned every week, she would post it on the fridge along with a grocery list where we could write down requests (which were almost never granted).

As an adult I have never done this. I was a single parent of one for many years, but there was no meal plan. We would just decide on what sounded good that day, and cook it or go eat out. I'm the same way now, living alone. I cook based on either cravings, or a recipe that looks good, or whatever's on sale at the grocery store.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:20 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I was going to type that I can still list our high school's lunch program rotation, but after thinking about it, I realize it's finally gotten hazy. Anyway for those six years it was pretty predictable, with a few variations, what we were going to eat for lunch.

Baked beans, chili, goulash, "Spanish" rice, hot dogs, fish sticks, sloppy joes, scalloped potatoes.

It was a small school and we all knew the women cooking were good cooks but they weren't given much to work with by a stingy Superintendent who had ordered up left over WWII rations for us. Only because most all of us had been raised by Depression era parents who taught that you never complain if you have food and to eat whatever was offered you did they manage to feed us that.

It wasn't that the food was bad, just that it was old, flavorless and canned.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:44 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Baked beans, chili, goulash, "Spanish" rice, hot dogs, fish sticks, sloppy joes, scalloped potatoes.
Sounds familiar. Also commonly on the school lunch menu was chicken fried steak (mystery meat) and mashed potatoes from a box. The only salvation was every Thursday when chocolate milk was sold for 20 cents, rather than plain milk for 10 cents (or whatever it was).

Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husbands friend grew up like this. Every day of the week Monday to Sunday it was the same meal on each night. For example every Sunday was Pasta, meatballs and spaghetti, every Monday was something else and so on. She still does this even today. I prefer variety every day and week. When he visits her in Florida he does the cooking because she makes the same boring stuff every day.

Oh, yeah. When I was a kid 60 or so years ago, you knew what day of the week it was by what was being served. Wednesday was always spaghetti, Friday was fishsticks (yuck), Saturday was beans and hotdogs, Sunday mornings was poached eggs on toast and leftovers/potluck for supper. There was creamed tuna on toast in there somewhere, but I forget the others.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:15 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We did not do this ever, but in our family the meals did not vary much….meat, potatoes and a veg. I don’t remember having salad, or anything pasta except macaroni. We did have beans and franks every Saturday, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink