Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 02:39 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times

Advertisements

I make my own hot ginger tea.Also I like the Ricola tea,as well chamomile tea or homemade fennel tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 02:43 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I try to avoid caffeine due to an arrhythmia so drink decaffeinated or tea with very low caffeine content. Luckily, I've ever been a caffeine addict so don't miss it. My black tea go-to has usually been Constant Comment, but now it's their decaf. I used to love Good Earth's Original Spice Blend but they changed/renamed it. The new version is awful IMHO.

So many herbal teas disappoint. They may smell great but end up tasting like dirty water. My go-to herbals include green, peppermint or a mint medley, mixed berry, citrus, and jasmine. Don't really use tea medicinally other than mint to settle an uneasy stomach once in a great while.

Can't stand ginger. It's the first thing to get shoved far, far away from everything else on the plate when I eat an Asian meal. My family were sailors, so my mother gave a motion sick kid or one sick from flu ginger or ginger ale. I don't tend to get motion sick, but I have tried ginger gelcaps to prevent nausea during low elevation aerial wildlife surveys on a hot day. That's a very different type of flying than sitting quietly in a jet seat traveling point-to-point! When I went through cancer chemo ginger or ginger ale was usually suggested to relieve nausea. The unhappy association between the taste/scent of ginger and feeling terrible has persisted ever since.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-06-2024 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-06-2024, 02:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I like most herbal teas. I have a bunch of Yogi and Traditional Medicinals, and a few TJs brands like Turmeric and something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I love Rishi Chai Tea, usually found at Target stores.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:14 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I am not a fan of herbal teas. I prefer loose green, black or white tea. My gastroenterologist gave me some packets of peppermint stuff that can be made into a tea. I have not used it as I grow my own peppermint and add that to tea. In fact, I grow a lot of herbs and add them to "regular" tea almost all the time. I add sage, lemongrass, mint, and others to my tea.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:10 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Preferably any where they don't include hibiscus in the concoction. Why I'd want my nice tea taken over with that bitter-sour herb is beyond me. I assume they do it to add color so it "looks" like regular tea, but... it overpowers and ruins anything it's in.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:20 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
When I went through cancer chemo ginger or ginger ale was usually suggested to relieve nausea. The unhappy association between the taste/scent of ginger and feeling terrible has persisted ever since.
I also had chemo and experienced temporary loss of taste, though not loss of smell. I had horrible experiences with two flavors at that time...the first was Coca-Cola. I used to drink Diet Coke a lot, but the one time I tried Coke during chemo, it was so foul and nasty that I haven't had even one more swallow of Coke since then and it's been 15 years.

The other was jasmine tea. Someone kindly gave me some and I made a cup. Since I could smell but not taste, there was no tea flavor, it was just like drinking distilled flowers. I didn't like that at all and have been turned off jasmine tea ever since then.

Ginger, though, is still great. One of my favorite flavors ever.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:40 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I also had chemo and experienced temporary loss of taste, though not loss of smell.
Looking back, I don't really recall much change in taste or smell other than heightened sensitivity. The scent of a particular food or a lingering cooking odor could become overwhelming to the point I couldn't eat. There were a couple of times when I ate something at just the wrong moment after a treatment, tossed my cookies, and never could face that food again. Muenster cheese, Triscuits, ginger, Seven Up, and varieties of red apples. Then there was the time a kind co-worker presented me with a massive frozen chicken/turkey tetrazzini casserole. It lurked in my fridge for days because the scent was too overpowering. If I ever write a book that little saga will be noted. If I'd been very, very disciplined I might have taken advantage of that heightened sensitivity to disable my urges for a couple of less-than-healthy foods . Nah!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-07-2024 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-07-2024, 03:00 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
I regularly drink chamomile and linden tea, I enjoy both.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:57 PM

730 posts, read 464,297 times
We drink a green tea that we call Macedonian Tea or Chi. It is also called Greek Mountain Tea, Ironwort, and Sideritis Scardica . It’s found in the high mountains of Macedonia, Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Syria and Iran. Unfortunately I don’t know how to post links( I’m not very computer savvy) so I’ll just post some info for you here. There’s an article by the National Library Of Medicine that is a bit complicated about the herbal tea and I’ll describe it a little below.

Its said to have many healing properties in regards to respiration, digestion and inflammation. Seems to reduce anxiety, and increase concentration too. Also, increases cerebral blood flow. We use it mostly for stomach problems or when we have a cold. It has a strong aroma and a sweet taste to it. A little like Chamomile. It’s caffeine free and organic.

We usually get it when traveling to Macedonia where my relatives will pick it off the mountain for us.. But lately, we haven’t been traveling much so we either depend on someone who’s going there to bring it back for us or we do occasionally buy it on Amazon and you have to enter “Greek Mountain Tea” in the search engine to bring it up. However, it’s a little pricey there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink