Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:17 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Shrimp salad
Crab salad
Caviar - not that this was on a lot of restaurant menus but it used to be talked about a lot more than it is now.
Red eye gravy with biscuits and country ham
Meatloaf
Veal Parmesan - definitely agree that you don't see veal on menus like you used to.
Those last two items are on the menu at most of the diners in the Philadelphia area.

Oops — chicken parm mainly, veal parm rarely. Veal has fallen out of favor thanks to animal-rights activists who have shone a spotlight on the inhumane conditions under which calves become veal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 01:31 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Years ago, someone on CD shared the recipe for Yarmouth ME fried clams. They had some kind of festival every year. I wonder if it still goes on?

Here it is! (Maineah, 2008)

This is the recipe we used at the Yarmouth Clam Festival for many years. We sold over 200 gallons of shucked clams every year bringing in over $30,000 in three days. It was a lot of work but we enjoyed it. With aging membership we gave up the fried clam booth several years ago and passed it to some other organization. They are using a different process (not nearly as good) for breading the clams. We have had people from all around the country write to us via the Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce asking for the recipe for the famous Son's of Amvets fried clams. I posted this recipe before though in an obscure thread so I thought I'd re- post it as fried clam season is upon us once again!

The recipe is easy and really good. Here's a pared down version for home use
1 pint of Maine shucked clams bellies and all.
4 cups of flour
4 eggs
6 cups of water
1- 8 oz. package of Nabisco Cracker Meal.(not corn meal,flour,fry mix, or anything else.) Other cracker meal can be used but it HAS to be cracker meal.If you cannot find CRACKER MEAL you can grind up saltine crackers in an electric coffee grinder. I have done this and it works well. Some food processors may work too but they usually leave the meal too coarse.

Oil for deep frying

Set up three bowls one for flour, one for egg wash and one for the cracker meal.

Make the egg wash by cracking the eggs into a bowl adding the water and using a kitchen whip. beat until frothy.

Take the clams ONE AT A TIME and drop them into the flour, shake off excess, then the egg wash,shake off excess, and finally the cracker meal. It's important to keep the clam "rounded out" through out the process so they don't roll into a sticky mass.
To avoid making breading "gloves" use one hand in the wet(clams, egg wash) and one dry hand(flour and cracker meal)
Also as you go along it's nice to sift the lumps out of the cracker meal once in a while. Breading takes a while and there is no way to rush it and have the clams come out good. Have a beer while you're breading.(use your wet hand or you'll drop the bottle!)
Fry in hot oil (375 degrees) until golden.
Serve with tartar sauce, ketchup and salt.
1 pint will easily feed a family of five.
Cole slaw goes nicely with fried clams too.

Do try this recipe...you will really enjoy it!!
This is GREAT, thanks for sharing. But the bolded above is a flat out lie LOL.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:42 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Haha. And I checked, and the Yarmouth Clam Festival is still going strong. Adding it to my bucket list.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:30 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Those last two items are on the menu at most of the diners in the Philadelphia area.

Oops — chicken parm mainly, veal parm rarely. Veal has fallen out of favor thanks to animal-rights activists who have shone a spotlight on the inhumane conditions under which calves become veal.
You can find meatloaf on some diner menus but I can't think of a chain restaurant aside from Cracker Barrel that offers it. You won't find it at Chili's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Red Lobster, Outback, IHOP, Steak and Shake or any other fast food place that I'm aware of.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:52 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

I think you are right. Used to see a lot of veal dishes, even frozen meals in the grocery, but haven't seen it in restaraunts in years. Last time I had it, I made it at home. Even then veal (and lamb) is had to find in local grocery stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You can find meatloaf on some diner menus but I can't think of a chain restaurant aside from Cracker Barrel that offers it. You won't find it at Chili's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Red Lobster, Outback, IHOP, Steak and Shake or any other fast food place that I'm aware of.
I think Cracker Barrel is about it. That's the only reason I didn't include it originally, as well as a couple other items, is Cracker Barrel still serves them.

It's funny, there are many times when I got off late from work or youth events and didn't want to cook, but it's very hard to find a restaurant other than Cracker Barrel (which we don't have in town) that serves a classic American family mean now days.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:41 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:

This place has veal parm and chicken croquettes of all things.

https://www.palacedinerberlin.com/menus.html

Old 03-10-2024, 03:42 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
some trends that came and went. No statement on the quality of the dishes.

Shrimp Scampi
Blackened anything
Snow crab legs AYCE
Mako Shark, Sword fish, and other fisheries that have declined or collapsed
Cube steak sandwich
Chicken livers, gizzards, which used to be on the KFC AYCE buffet
mozzarella sticks, not saying you can't get them but they aren't "the appetizer" of first recourse like they once were
I gotta update this post. I went out to dinner last night, and two of the people I was dining with ordered

Shrimp Scampi
Blackened something pasta

I had to stop from bursting out laughing 'cause either I have no idea what people order in restaurants or those two were stuck back in 1995!

Old 03-10-2024, 03:48 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
As a New Yorker said upthread, they survive in the Mid-Atlantic region — they're still common in South Jersey as well, and you can find them in outlying neighborhoods in Philadelphia as well as its suburbs.

There was a chain of diners all called Midtown (with Roman numerals indicating which in the series it was: I had closed, but II, III and IV survived) in Center City Philadelphia; I spent many a night after nightclubbing at the Midtown II. All are closed now.

But none of the menu items you describe here are on the menus of the diners that survive here. (A famous one, the Melrose, bit the dust recently, but its owner — who's building an apartment building on its site —*says it will return in the new building's retail space. We shall see.) Wraps are a common item, however.

FWIW, I also remember HoJo's "Tendersweet" fried clams. And that chain's famously slow service.

There are some AYCE indie buffets around here that have snow crab legs as one of the items on offer. But when did KFC have an AYCE buffet? None of their stores in this region have them.

Is there an Ikea store anywhere near you? You can indulge your Swedish meatball jones at any Ikea restaurant. You can also buy bags of frozen Swedish meatballs to take home.
Cumberland, MD location, buffet closed probably late 1990s or early 2000s. AYCE chicken, fried livers and gizzards, potatoes, biscuits, green beans I think. It was really cool actually.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:53 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I gotta update this post. I went out to dinner last night, and two of the people I was dining with ordered

Shrimp Scampi
Blackened something pasta

I had to stop from bursting out laughing 'cause either I have no idea what people order in restaurants or those two were stuck back in 1995!
I don't get it.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:50 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,845 times
Good lists…I used to order stew beef back in the day. Don’t see it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink