Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM

140 posts, read 1,651,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I just didn't find it [Gordo's] to taste the same or as good as the restaurants. My boyfriend also found it kind of gross. No offense, just not to our liking.
My experience was pretty much the same with Gordo's. It was really similar, but not close enough. It didn't taste as good.

I have not found the answer yet. But I did find one that I liked a little better than Gordo's: El Preferido Queso. Recently, I found their site, and they do have Queso and Cheese Dip. The only one I tried, a year or two ago, was the Queso. It was a block of cheese about 4" high x 3" wide x 1" thick. It was the Jalapeno variety, since that's all the grocery store had (and no. I don't remember what store). It had instructions to combine it with milk to make dip. If you're interested, it's worth trying.

El Preferido Web Site

My photo of the El Preferido Queso I tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 22,850 times
The reason it's not coming out the way you want is because you don't just melt the cheese. There's a easy way to get the taste you want. In a saucepan on medium low heat, Add 1/4 cup butter. After it has melted, add 1/4 cup of flour. Stir constantly til all has thickened(making a rioux). Cook about 2 minutes(should be a light blonde color, then add 2 cups of while milk and combine. After mix gets hot, stir in 3-4 cups of shredded Asadero cheese(1 cup at a time and stir til combined before adding the next). Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. I found that 1 tsp. of garlic powder and 3 TBS. of chopped jalapeno makes it even better. It will be a little thicker than normal but you could add another 1/2 cup of milk with the 2 cups if you want for a thinner finish. TASTES GREAT!! Of course you can experiment with it and add something like cumin, chives, sour cream, salsa, etc. Hope you enjoy the recipe.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,168,735 times
This thread has me convinced: I will enjoy the stuff at the restaurants. Making it at home appears to be an exercise in futility.

And if it is true that this dip is plain-old American cheese, that kind of pisses me off. I always imagined it to be a secret Mexican cheese cooked up with mysterious spices. That's why I don't always like to know what's in my food. If I think I'm eating a delicate concoction of heavy cream, strawberries, and Belgian chocolate and find out it's plain old Cool-Whip, Hershey's syrup and Strawberry Jello--all of a sudden the magic is gone, and the dish I thought was yummo now tastes nasty.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 PM

51 posts, read 112,037 times
This stuff is the bomb. When I was in college (20 years ago) my buddies ate at El Rodeo in Chapel hill about 1x/week we were convinced this stuff was laced with crack. It's addictive stuff!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
And if it is true that this dip is plain-old American cheese, that kind of pisses me off. I always imagined it to be a secret Mexican cheese cooked up with mysterious spices. ....<snip>.... If I think I'm eating a delicate concoction of heavy cream, strawberries, and Belgian chocolate and find out it's plain old Cool-Whip, Hershey's syrup and Strawberry Jello--all of a sudden the magic is gone, and the dish I thought was yummo now tastes nasty.
Yep, I feel the same way. ;-)

Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,933,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obird View Post

My dad sold to mexican restaurants in Atlanta and he says "Mexicans don't eat white cheese dip, they made the white cheese dip for the Americans" And he sold them the Gordos Queso Blanco to make the dip. Thats how I know Gordos is the authentic white cheese dip you get at the mexican restaurants.

I think I bought the Gordos Melt(a chunk of white american easy melt cheese) at Kroger in VA and KY not Food Lion. You have to add milk to make the white cheese dip.

I'm telling you...GORDOS Cheese Dip is the real thing!

You mean Americanized Mexican restaurants. I am Mexican I have yet to find an authentic Mexican cuisine around here. Most of the restaurants listed here are nothing even close to the real food you will be served in a Mexican household.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
You mean Americanized Mexican restaurants. I am Mexican I have yet to find an authentic Mexican cuisine around here. Most of the restaurants listed here are nothing even close to the real food you will be served in a Mexican household.
Are La Vaquita or Super Taqueria in Durham not considered authentic?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Most of the restaurants listed here are nothing even close to the real food you will be served in a Mexican household.
I'm aware of that, but I like the food anyway. Especially the white cheese dip! :-)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM

226 posts, read 505,527 times
Anyone try just plain Monterey or Pepper Jack melted with a little cream and a 1/2 tsp of flour (the starch is meant to prevent the clumping that happens with melted cheeses), with a dash of cumin? Depending on the amount of cream to get the consistency, it should be perfectly dip-able.

I really don't think the Americanized Mexican white cheese dip requires a lot in the way of exotic (or even Mexican) ingredients. Chances are it's just processed cheese food, melted in the microwave with a few chiles thrown in.

But it is goooooooood.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 21,756 times
I have pondered this same question for a while, I have got the answer!!!!!!! And yes I am excited:

WHITE AMERICAN CHEESE- I know it doesn't seem like the Mexicans would use this, but they are.
add jarred jalapenos to taste as well as Whole Milk (mix in a little at a time until you get to consistency)

Throw in a pot together, medium temp and it comes together exactly like you want. The longer it sits on low, the better.

you can get the white american cheese at the deli counter..

THank me later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink