Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
You could make it as a casserole, but the way we fix them is soften the tortillas, put it in enchilada sauce, put the tortilla on a plate and add your toppings. Repeat for as many enchiladas as you like.

Definitely have to have an egg on top! That is truly the New Mexico way.
But where is the actual "Enchilada" Wife makes different casseroles using that same method.

...as for the egg... I'll take one over easy anytime.

P.S. We just went through N.M. in early December. Only mexican food we got were tacos in the morning.

I'm sorry "I am Woman"! Looking back i see you were making individual servings. I'm involved in too many different enchilada threads I think!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-26-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Another "thanks for posting this" from me....I made a chicken "enchilada" recipe recently that didn't specify which kind of tortillas to use so I used flour. They were pretty tasty but I hated the gummy texture. Next time I will know just what to do.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Well, now that is a totally different dish around here. We call that Chicken Sopa or Chicken Taco Pie. That layering tortillas with cream of chicken soup, green chile, shredded chicken and cheese. Then build it up with several layers, cooking for about an hour at 350 degrees. It is a great dish as well but NOT the same as flat enchiladas which are served right after layered. Some people really like a fried egg on top of their enchiladas. And having them made with fresh groundd red chile powder from Mesilla Valley or Chimayo is absolutely Heaven.
That's interesting. I've never heard the dish you describe referred to as anything but "green chile chicken enchiladas" by anyone I know. I'd never even heard those names you mention before. Still, if that's what some people call them, then okay.

Also, I'd agree that flat or stacked enchiladas are different because of the fact that they aren't baked.

Another thing I'd mention is that I never really like a fried egg on top of anything but flat red or (sometimes) red, rolled enchiladas. I've certainly had it on the casserole-type and green enchiladas before, but it's not as enticing to me as on the flat ones or rolled red ones.

One other thing is that it's sort of weird to me that some people never lightly fry their tortillas first before making enchiladas. I always thought that was an integral step in making them. I do know some people who forgo the frying for health reasons and have looked for other ways to make them pliable, but I always thought that was done just for that reason alone. Not frying the tortillas produces a raw corn taste that I usually find unpleasant.

Probably the best corn tortillas in Albuquerque are made by La Mexicana on Coal Avenue and 3rd Street in Barelas/Downtown. They are soft and pliable and I think they would be okay for rolling without frying. The second-best corn tortillas are the Bueno brand which you can buy in stores such as Walmart and which I think are available in other states such as Arizona. But they aren't as soft and pliable and I probably wouldn't do without lightly frying them first. Other, smaller tortillerias in town usually make their corn tortillas too thick to be able to use them in enchiladas without frying them. Those tortillas, I find, are better for tacos.

One last thing I want to say is that when I was little I did use flour tortillas once to make flat enchiladas. I did this out of desperation because we didn't have any corn tortillas. It was on my summer break from school and I was hungry and wanted enchiladas. I used my mom's flour tortillas. She makes hers about 12 inches across. I cut one tortilla into four pieces like you would cut up a pie. I then made red, cheese enchiladas with the pieces (unfried). This was with my mom's tortillas, though. I couldn't imagine using most of the nasty store-bought flour tortillas brands for this. Most store-bought flour tortillas have this funky, sour taste to them which I absolutely hate. The only (somewhat) acceptable store-bought brands I've found so far are Bueno's Grandma's tortillas and the Mission brand. The Bueno ones have none of that sour taste while the Mission ones do, but it's a lot less detectable than in other brands.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 PM

305 posts, read 294,361 times
Veg oil is the key.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I just saw this on you tube yesterday, but can't find it now. He warmed up a pan w/veg oil, guessing med heat(not smok'n hot) and fried it for just a few seconds in the oil(the pan had enough oil to cover the tortilla easily). Then put your stuff in, wrap, and into the dish.

He also had some of his sauce in the dish that would go to the oven. Then some on top.......then a bunch of cheese.

Hope this helps

The guy was some chef from food network......I think.
Yes, this works. I heat my corn tortillas in a cast iron skillet with just a touch of olive oil for a minute or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink