Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 PM

74 posts, read 357,905 times

Advertisements

This is kind of off subject but since we're talking about oatmeal...Want to hear something stranger than oatmeal in meatloaf? How about replacing 1 egg with 2T moist oats when baking? I've used it in pancakes, and it's weird that they turn out the same! It's a vegan baking trick. I wouldn't want to try it in any "light" cake though. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:34 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Girl View Post
This is kind of off subject but since we're talking about oatmeal...Want to hear something stranger than oatmeal in meatloaf? How about replacing 1 egg with 2T moist oats when baking? I've used it in pancakes, and it's weird that they turn out the same! It's a vegan baking trick. I wouldn't want to try it in any "light" cake though. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents!
love that idea, guess grandma was ahead of her time.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:38 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Okay, okay, okay....I get it.........if your mom and grandma is ANYTHING like my mom is, and my grandma was....there is NO MEASUREMENT! Period!
My mom drives me nuts, up to this day, when I am asking on how she makes things, and how much she uses. And, you know what I get???
A little bit of this, a dash of that....and a dusting of this....yadayadayada..("Mom...now how the hell am I suppose to write this down for myself????")..
So, good luck getting ANY "measurable measurement" out of those ladies....ROTFL!!!

Anyhow....guys....gals...I am in need of a good recipe for meatloaf for tomorrow night, and want to try something new AND include the oatmeal with it.
The only oatmeal I know, and have on hand is Quaker.
Any recipes here I can use?
bingo, and I dont ever meausure either. I will make the meatloaf this week, and measure everything out, and post it in the recipes thread...... anykind of old-fashioned oats are good..... grandma also used tarragon in the recipe, and always did it with tomato gravy over it, mmmmmmm

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,771,495 times
I'm guilty!!!!!!!! I never measure-just eyeball everything. I wasa recently interviewed for our local paper's cooking section and I had a heck of a time!!!

I just use regular old Quaker oats in meatloaf, plus ketchup, mustard, worstershire, eggs, horseradish, Lipton's onion soup mix, salt/pepper, parsley, garlic powder. Think I know now what I'm making tomorrow.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I'm guilty!!!!!!!! I never measure-just eyeball everything. I wasa recently interviewed for our local paper's cooking section and I had a heck of a time!!!

I just use regular old Quaker oats in meatloaf, plus ketchup, mustard, worstershire, eggs, horseradish, Lipton's onion soup mix, salt/pepper, parsley, garlic powder. Think I know now what I'm making tomorrow.
All right y'all, I wasn't trying to start anything here.

I also barely measure when I'm cooking. So let me rephrase -- if you eyeball a certain amount of bread crumbs for a meatloaf recipe, would you eyeball roughly the same amount of oatmeal?

A confession: I've never made meatloaf, just meatballs. My husband is convinced he doesn't like it, yet he loves my meatballs. Perhaps my m-i-l made some super bad meatloaf, I don't know.

At any rate, I realize that any meatball recipe can be made into meatloaf and vice versa, hence my question.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
All right y'all, I wasn't trying to start anything here.

I also barely measure when I'm cooking. So let me rephrase -- if you eyeball a certain amount of bread crumbs for a meatloaf recipe, would you eyeball roughly the same amount of oatmeal?
I have the feeling that oatmeal may absorb a little more liquid than bread crumbs so maybe a little less? Probably why I think meat loaf's best mixed with your hands, mix it all together, let it sit a half hour or so to absorb the liquid, and you'll know if it seems too wet or dry. Seems to be fairly forgiving and not too critical.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,577,631 times
I had some terrible meatloaf not to long ago. I don`t know what she had in it, but it was soggy, and just plain awful. I about gagged on it. I didn`t want to hurt her feelings by not eating it, but geezzzz Louise..
I would take a bite and wash it down with a coke. URGH!!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM

424 posts, read 1,669,369 times
Default Breadcrumbs and stale bread

Slightly stale bread makes better sandwiches and of course stale bread is the way to go for French Toast. Depending on the bread I have on hand, whether it is some I made or a commercial offering, I use it to make my own breadcrumbs. Especially if I have more stale bread than I can use in other applications (or bread I have helped along toward being stale in a warm oven), I just throw it in the blender, maybe with some seaonings. Being stale/dry, the crumbs keep for a long time. You can toast the bread slightly before pulverizing in the blender if you like it that way. If the bread is VERY dry you have to be careful not to keep it in the blender too long or you will have super fine crumbs/dust.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,010,815 times
The restaurant that I work at uses crushed Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs in many of their recipes.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,414,070 times
I've never tried the oatmeal trick either... I use rice. It can be leftover pilaf, rice a roni, or white rice I do up with a boullion if I have to...
It does make it more moist than just breadcrumbs... I usually use some of each... breadcrumbs and rice.. equal amounts... but now I'm thinking the next one I make will be a mix of oatmeal and rice! Interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink