U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM

4,065 posts, read 4,850,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The food wasn't better, it was the memories associated w/ the food that made it taste better or be more appealing. Food is an emotionally loaded thing--reminescent of certain events, people, etc.
I agree with this 100%...

I will also not argue that in the past when everything wasnt hustle and bussle and 30 seconds or less..more love was put into cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,809 times
Default Useless Replies

It's truly a sad day in Denmark when so many people can no longer distinguish the true essence of a given substance.

All this talk about present day meat having the same taste as 1960's is mere non sense and those who make the post know damn well what they are saying is not true.

We come from a family of farmers so we know exactly how meat is supposed to taste. When you've slaughtered your own chickens and hogs to provide food for your family its a different story. And, believe me the taste is like the difference between night and day but if you've never grown up on a farm then you simply have no idea because you cannot compare.

Any animal subject to genetically modified feed as well as recombinant hormone injections and a host of vaccine cocktails will change the composition of the animal including taste, texture and its omega fatty acid levels. In other words the animals are sick and overfed thus the real reason for the use of pharmaceutical medicines. The livestock are NO LONGER being raised on farms like in the past. Today's farms are called "Production Facilities" because "real" farming NO longer exists as all animals are crammed into cages having to live out their lives in deplorable and unhealthy conditions. Even the cows are crammed into stalls as many can barely stand on their own.

It is for this reason and others that Europe has a ban on GMO foods as well importing of those animals that eat such foods. Ask anyone from outside the US (excluding Australia and Canada) and they'll tell you the meat taste like paper!

The same applies to seafoods too as most (if not all) are given chlorine baths to reduce any possible threat of E.coli bacteria. This too causes the meat to be dry when cooked and reduces overall flavor of any meat.

Sickness in this country is off the scale as people continue to defend the very foods causing much of the health related problems.

Last edited by matrium; 01-23-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM

2,363 posts, read 2,768,462 times
I think the convenience foods such as frozen TV dinners, chicken pot pies, jiffy-pop popcorn or anything that is now designed and packaged for microwaves, is much worse than what you could buy 30 years ago. Remember how much bigger a TV dinner used to be, in those aluminum trays with the foil top, instead of plastic wrap ? The variety of TV dinners were better, the vegetables were tender and had lots of sweet "juice" so they did not shrivel up as they cooked. You could have peas, carrots, corn or mixed vegetables. The deserts were peach cobbler, apple cobbler, cherry cobbler, chocolate cake that would rise like real cake in the compartment. The turkey was real pieces of turkey, not pressed turkey loaf, the chicken cooked better in the oven and tasted more natural. Sometimes the instructions would have you peel the foil of of just one compartment so that item would brown and cook properly. The portions were bigger, the mashed potatos had a little pad of butter on top and tasted much better. Microwave dinners are loaded with salt and I don't remember there being near the salt in those old style TV dinners, I really miss them.

And 30 years ago my grandmother was still alive and canning fruits and vegetables of all kinds, I remember her sawing the kernals off the ears of corn to can them. One of the special things I remember she made was what she called "watermelon pickles". She made them from the rind of the watermelon, cooked and cut into little squares, and put into a jar. I have no idea how she made them, pretty sure she used cinnamon as the little squares were brown and sweet. I miss those jars of watermelon pickles she would send home with me, and her homemade pies, especially the peach.

Last edited by mofford; 01-25-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 PM

9,158 posts, read 17,435,868 times
Foods just as good now as then, but it depends on where you get your food. There are six roosters in the pressure cooker right now. They were domestic roosters gone feral and caught by vegetarians guarding their vegetable garden who then brought them to the omnivore to eat. Broth from them tastes like chicken and after a bit of pressure cooking, they will be soft enough to eat, too. To make chicken soup, you need two roosters. One young tender plump one (or a pressure cooker if nobody brought you tender roosters) and an old tough rooster for flavor. My granny would use a stewing hen to make the broth and a young chicken for the meat.

My mom was a miserable cook so we all learned how to cook and can at an early age as survival methods. Fresh food from the garden is cheaper and something we could get since all she wanted to buy was dry packaged stuff and prepared sugar such as Twinkies. Sheesh! At an early age we learned how to forage for food and get it presentable on a plate.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 AM

29,163 posts, read 30,969,167 times
No no and no. At least not the food I ate. And my mom was considered a very good cook! I'm not saying things tasted bad necessarily, but there was little variety, spice, etc. IMO food was bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink