U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times

Advertisements

There is a certain kind of restaurant that is more about pretension, seeing people and being seen BY people. I have no interest in this. If they are MORE concerned about making pretty but small display with my food then they are with the amount of it then its not the place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,868,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There is a certain kind of restaurant that is more about pretension, seeing people and being seen BY people. I have no interest in this. If they are MORE concerned about making pretty but small display with my food then they are with the amount of it then its not the place for me.
Indeed, I've resorted to eating the garnishes in those places, LOL! I was still really HUNGRY!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,917,306 times
Most of the time when we have put out big bucks to dine somewhere, we have been pleased. I can only think of one restaurant that was very expensive that I was very disappointed in. We just won't be going back there, but in general, we've been pretty pleased. (Maybe our expectations are low! LOL!)

Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

10,123 posts, read 16,721,272 times
I usually think the food is good at these fancy restaurants, but I never feel like I got my money's worth unless I am dining on a gift card. I'd rather spend the money on shoes.

DH always says "you cook better than any restaurant." I've got a keeper.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times
I'd rather go to a homey, cheap, but really great food place than an expensive one. Atmosphere is everything to me when eating. I've done all the expensive ones and now that I'm older w/ kids, they don't interest me.

Well, wait. I'd LOVE to go to a Bobby Flay one. And I'd only go to a Gordon Ramsey one if I knew he was going to be there cooking that night.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
Well I had the same experience, food was great but wasn't great for the price... service was mediocre... the guy/girl came around once or twice and asked if we were okay, my water glass was "usually" empty for a prolonged time... I ate at a lot of "fancy" restaurants and chains like Mortons, etc. etc... I thought that was all there was UNTIL I tried Fogo de Chao (brazilian steakhouse) and OMG... food, water, side dishes were CONSTANTLY coming out.. there were several people that checked up on us like every 10 minutes to see if we needed anything else or special requests... In the end, I must of eaten 10-12 different meats, a pound of asparagus, four sidedishes of mashed potatoes, the salad bar was AMAZING... Service was way, WAY beyond expectations... everyone was clean and was polite... I felt like a celebrity with the constant attention and outstanding food (did I mention its all you can eat)... The price was well below what I spend at steakhouses and other fancy restaurants... to me, its a no-brainer now... these steakhouses and fancy restaurants are about to meet their maker once this chain is appearing in more and more cities...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,169,168 times
For my 50th birthday in May of 2004 several friends of mine arranged for a sort of semi-surprise dinner. I knew we were going out to dinner...I did not know where we were going until we actually arrived at the restaurant.

Needless to say I was very surprised when we pulled up to The Herbfarm Restaurant in Woodinville, WA. I had always wanted to go there, however it is not something I would normally do.

The Herbfarm Restaurant is legendary in these parts and has continually received only glowing reviews from newspapers and magazines from around the country...and around the world. Travel & Leisure magazine rates it as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world, and AAA has given it the AAA 5-Diamond Award...

The food was spectacular, the wine was equally spectacular and the service was impeccable. The menu was prix fixe and the meal consisted of nine courses over a four-hour period.

We dined on caviar and crab, Copper River Salmon, Alaskan halibut, and lamb, several different cheeses and for desert we had Blackberry-Rose Geranium Ice Cream. After desert they served us several pieces of the best chocolate I'd ever had, coffee and a glass of Port wine.

It was the best meal I've ever had...

Was it worth it yes, I'd say that even if I was paying...will I do it again, probably not, as it was a very special evening with very special friends...and sometimes evenings like that cannot be duplicated, nor should they...

Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 AM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
We will be going to Michael Symon's (the newest Iron Chef) restaurant, Lola, this month. We really haven't gone to any place good in years so I'm hoping for some food that is different and good.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,768,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well I had the same experience, food was great but wasn't great for the price... service was mediocre... the guy/girl came around once or twice and asked if we were okay, my water glass was "usually" empty for a prolonged time... I ate at a lot of "fancy" restaurants and chains like Mortons, etc. etc... I thought that was all there was UNTIL I tried Fogo de Chao (brazilian steakhouse) and OMG... food, water, side dishes were CONSTANTLY coming out.. there were several people that checked up on us like every 10 minutes to see if we needed anything else or special requests... In the end, I must of eaten 10-12 different meats, a pound of asparagus, four sidedishes of mashed potatoes, the salad bar was AMAZING... Service was way, WAY beyond expectations... everyone was clean and was polite... I felt like a celebrity with the constant attention and outstanding food (did I mention its all you can eat)... The price was well below what I spend at steakhouses and other fancy restaurants... to me, its a no-brainer now... these steakhouses and fancy restaurants are about to meet their maker once this chain is appearing in more and more cities...

I went to the Fogo de Chao in Dallas a few years ago. It was quite good, but I don't think I'll go back. Not because of anything the staff did or the quality of the food. It was all excellent. Just not my type of fancy dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or