U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM

148 posts, read 568,728 times

Advertisements

A few months ago my spouse and I finally decided to eat out at one of the most expensive and highly regarded restaurants in the Washington DC area. We made the reservation and dressed up and were quite excited to be eating at a place where elites were at. We expected to run into celebrities and be treated like a king. We expected the food to taste like heaven. We expected to be talking to friends about it for days.

Well now that we had the meal, we liked the food but feel kind of cheated. For the $200 we spent we could have taken a trip or gone to concerts. The food was good, but not that good and the service a little to formal. I do not think we will return.

Next time we want to splurge we will go to one of the local Great American Restaurants and spend 1/4 as much. How do you feel when you dine out at one of the nicest spots in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:17 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,158,921 times
Full and happy. (Ruths Chris fanatic)

Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,506,024 times
If I have a gift certificate I won or someone gave me I feel great. But overpriced small portions in a room full of fake substance and decor just does not do it for me most of the time. It's ok for a special occasion or when travelling, but that's about it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,656,236 times
We enjoyed a meal like this once (note I said once). We've been to other nice restaurants since, but nothing over the top like this.

Took friends to the River Cafe in Brooklyn when they became engaged 10 yrs. ago. The food was excellent (portions were OK, not minute at least), and the service was great. The only drawback was that the couple we had dinner with each ordered several glasses of champagne. The bill, before tip, was almost $500!

Ah, the good old days when we had disposable income & our time was our own (before DS was born!).

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

9,602 posts, read 23,092,444 times
I love good food, but usually when I've gone to very expensive places I've just felt ripped off, that more attention was paid to how things looked than to how things tasted.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,875,373 times
Unfortunately, I've encountered so-called "fine dining" that was dear in price but not all that "fine." Nothing very creative or special on the menu, just elegant surroundings and, yeah, very formal service. For that, they charged really high prices.

I hate to sound condescending toward American restaurants but I honestly think that the best "fine dining" experiences are in Europe or, at the very least, American restaurants owned and operated by European chefs. I would LOVE to eat at one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants here in America just once! LOL, it's on my "bucket list."

Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,158,921 times
teatime-my friend at GR restaurant in London and said it was fabulous and super expensive but worth every penny. I LOVE HIM!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,506,024 times
We do some some stuff with Gordon in the UK since that's where our company is based. Our VP of culinary development also attended culinary school with him.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM

6,487 posts, read 9,817,470 times
Steven Starr has a bunch of restaurants in Philadelphia. Several of which are very pricey. Have not had a bad meal at any of the ones I have been to. The service was fantastic and the presentation to die for. The decor of the restaurants is really eclectic and they have excellent signature froo froo cocktails. Well worth the $.

Starr Restaurants

Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,875,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
teatime-my friend at GR restaurant in London and said it was fabulous and super expensive but worth every penny. I LOVE HIM!
I DO, TOO!!!! He is SO PARTICULAR about everything in his restaurants, it seems, and manages hands-on. Heh, but he's not the least bit prissy and that's why I like him! He cares passionately about food and cooking so he is so cool about teaching average people how to make good meals and offering recipes you can do at home, but he's also fabulously creative with menus and attention to detail. LOVE his TV shows!!!! I used his recipe for Beef Wellington one Christmas to rave reviews and now that's all my son wants for Christmas dinner every year!

Wow, can you imagine how expensive it would be for American visitors to eat at his London restaurants NOW? It's like $2 per British pound!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or