Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I totally agree with you. Just so you know, I'm an organic foods person!

I love Amish and don't want to say anything negative about them ... there's a large community of them around me where I live....

It's kind of like beef. I prefer not to personally know or to think about the actual cow that I'm eating... It's just better for me not to know!
LOL...you and so many other's....like ME! LOL
Some things I better not hear and don't even want to know of....LOL....otherwise I wouldn't be eating anything anymore for sure....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Blackberry cobbler

About 6 cups berries
1 Tbl cornstarch
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 teasp vanilla

Mix above together in pie pan or cake pan bake at 400 degrees. Bake about 20 min to 30 min or until fruit starts to juice.

Meanwhile, Make cobbler topping:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup plus 2 teasp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 tabl butter melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch cinnamon

Mix together flour and dry ingredients. In another bowl mix together milk, butter and vanilla. In another bowl cinn. and 2 tsp sugar.

Stir in milk mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.

Take fruit out of oven and drop biscuit dough by spoonfuls ontop of fruit. Sprinkle with cinn sugar mixture and return to oven until biscuits are cooked through and golden brown about 15 min. or so.

Enjoy

movingtohouston, Thank you for sharing. I bought some fresh blackberries today and used your recipe. Sure hit the spot!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
I use to live in "Amish Country" PA, and we would head to Lancaster/ PA very often.
People have to realize, that items from Amish people might be considered "expensive" and above average.
But, with that money, they are supporting directly their families, live stock and community.
So, the money Amish people make, really "flows" back into the right hands, the right people, and you can't have it in any better quality then that. (Think "homemade", "made from scratch"....natural fertilizer...etc.)
YUMMY!!!!
It's really going back to the essential basics, and well worth the money spend, IMHO.

I used to live in PA recently moved to South Florida my first job was working in Lancaster (ThatPetPlace) which I must say I loved .

Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
We have an Amish place like that here and it's really expensive. Go figure....

They are expensive

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Default Fresh eggs every morning, from the chicken outside

Hey has anyone ever thought of having chickens in the city and getting your own eggs?
We can have them and its really easy. Even apartment pets pretty cool eh?
Stacey

Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Chickens are not allowed within the city limits here.

The fresh eggs would be nice to have.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Im sorry but dont think I would or could take the chickens eggs away from them . Too hard on the heart that is their babies and it is where their babies come from . On the farm I grew up on my sister would collect the eggs I never could . LOL !!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
Only have babies if you have a Rooster.
You don't need a Rooster to get eggs from the chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink