U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 AM

16,169 posts, read 21,815,523 times
I'm going for 96. Too much to do in life to stop until I have to! (I'm the one who was annoyed as a child because I had to pick and there was just not enough time in 100 years to live all the lifetimes I wanted to. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,563,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm going for 96. Too much to do in life to stop until I have to! (I'm the one who was annoyed as a child because I had to pick and there was just not enough time in 100 years to live all the lifetimes I wanted to. )
After today, I'm ready at 45.......take me out of this hell hole.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM

13,313 posts, read 29,350,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretHoboSpice View Post
I agree. I personally believe that government health agencies are becoming too fanatical in their quest to shield the public from the "dangers" of foods that carry any infinitesimal risk of making someone ill. I still love my shellfish, bone marrow, raw beef and fish, raw tomatoes soaked in balsamic vinegar, and all the other goodies that horrify the health crusaders. I think if the government wants to protect us they should outlaw McFood.
heehee
True dat.
Have you ever tried to find bread or salad dressing (or a million other things) that DIDN'T have high fructose corn syrup in it?
Bu they keep paying those farmers to grow lots and lots of corn.
Jalapenos, cilantro eyed
This year I've been growing my own tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro, so I guess we're in the clear.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 PM

131,641 posts, read 42,327,116 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up Mister & Capt. Cave Man

I haven't missed a tomato or jalapeno since the ruckus started. I do wash everything just because it makes good sense. I don't pay extra for organic either. I know the difference between orgnaic and inorgainc. I paid attention in chem class. I drank a batch of DDT before I was old enough to talk. Had my stomach pumped and over 60 some years later no worse for the wear. During the late 40's I followed by grandfather around while he was dusting the crops with DDT using a hand crank duster. Most everything my family ate had the DDT washed off of it. They all lived much longer than the norm. My mother is in her late 80's now and still drives all over the state alone. Admit that's kind of scary. I don't pretend to have all the right answers but one thing I do know: If there wasn't something brewing a lot of people would be looking for work... Just my 2 worth. I'm going out to stock up on jalapenos....

Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heehee
True dat.
Have you ever tried to find bread or salad dressing (or a million other things) that DIDN'T have high fructose corn syrup in it?
Bu they keep paying those farmers to grow lots and lots of corn.
Jalapenos, cilantro eyed
This year I've been growing my own tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro, so I guess we're in the clear.
"But they keep paying those farmers to grow lots and lots of corn." What the he!! is that supposed to mean? WHO is pay'n the farmers to grow corn?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:10 PM

131,641 posts, read 42,327,116 times
Default Peppers, Tomatoes, how'd we get off on corn?

Guess I'm guilty... I like corn flakes, corn bread, fried chicken, a good steak once in a great while. I think the wife's even got a bottle of clear Karo in the kitchen . Ya got me red handed. I have to keep paying cause they won't grow the stuff for me for free. Hope they don't find the germs there because then they'd put all the corn into the ethanol tank for sure and I'd starve.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I haven't missed a tomato or jalapeno since the ruckus started. I do wash everything just because it makes good sense. I don't pay extra for organic either. I know the difference between orgnaic and inorgainc. I paid attention in chem class. I drank a batch of DDT before I was old enough to talk. Had my stomach pumped and over 60 some years later no worse for the wear. During the late 40's I followed by grandfather around while he was dusting the crops with DDT using a hand crank duster. Most everything my family ate had the DDT washed off of it. They all lived much longer than the norm. My mother is in her late 80's now and still drives all over the state alone. Admit that's kind of scary. I don't pretend to have all the right answers but one thing I do know: If there wasn't something brewing a lot of people would be looking for work... Just my 2 worth. I'm going out to stock up on jalapenos....

IMHO, living w/out fear will be much happier than in fear. I'm not look'n for 1st place as the oldest, I'm look'n for 1st place in live'n........short or long, I don't care.

I wasnt' around DDT, but have been around chemicals all my life on the farm. had a chemical that was said to be bout the same as "agent orange", that was 20 yrs ago........all I have is a twitch. No, no twitch and no "problems"(except toward liberals, far L anyway)

Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM

13,313 posts, read 29,350,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
"But they keep paying those farmers to grow lots and lots of corn." What the he!! is that supposed to mean? WHO is pay'n the farmers to grow corn?
Well, here's more than you probably wanted to know.
But I don't think this is really off topic; when you think about it, all this stuff is part of the big picture.
Farm Bill
Why does a salad cost more than a Big Mac?
Current Farm Bill
Why some favor the Farm Bill

Old 07-06-2008, 02:24 PM

8,480 posts, read 9,527,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
Well, now how am I supposed to make bacon wrapped jalapenos when they are no longer available and the price skyrockets? Thank goodness kool aid is on the shelf!!!
Plant one or two pepper plants and you will have more than you could use all year long and they are easy to grow. And you can share with the guy whose bacon plants that are about to produce.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM

8,480 posts, read 9,527,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Your right, people are die'n left and right from lead in Coke. I know what is going on, thank you, and it is a bunch of horse crap. Drink'n city water is far worse for you than drink'n water from your own well, my well anyway. Bottled water? Great for you, that is how we stay'd alive in the 70's, eh?

900 people got sick, is what someone said, ok. July 7, 2007 there were 301,139,947 people in the US.............um, 900 / 301139947= .0003% of the population. I guess I'll take my chances and live w/tomatoes and japlenos....er what ever.

Do you know what I mean? I probably have a better chance of being on Cheer's than getting sick.
You don't get out much do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink