Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times

Advertisements

Ok first i love food and i don't want to write a book here, but some favs of mine but yes i can go on and on.

Shrimp and scallops in a bourbon peach or apricot sacue
Grilled shrimp and scallops in a butter garlic sauce
Scallops and Shrimp with a cherry maple glaze sauce hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Shrimp Linguini with Alfredo Sauce
Jumbo Coconut Shrimp with PINA COLADA SAUCE, SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD
Scallops wrapped with bacon and broiled
Lobster IN butter sauce LOVE LOBSTER THERAMDOR
Shrimp Scampi
Homemade Lasagna WITH THE MEATS
Pizza
ITALIAN SPINICH PIES with garlic and bacon in olive oil
Pasta in butter sauce
Italian homemade calzones.
Pasta with brocolli and parmesan
Chicken, Italian Sasuage, Meatballs, cut up, Potatoes, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms in a Italian HOMEMADE RED WINE SAUCE
Eggplant Parmigiana
Chicken Parmigiana with Shrimps
Stuffed bell peppers MIX A CAN OF CHILI, MAKES IT SO GOOD. IN THE GROUND BEEF OR TURKEY
Pasta Carbanara
THICK CRUST PIZZA
Baked Potato with LANGOSITINO LOBSTER, CRAB, AND MUSHROOMS
Enchilida Casserole
ANY KIND OF Enchilidas,
Carnita's NACHO'S
CRISPY TACO'S
STUFFED MEATLOAF
SHEPARD'S PIE WITH LOTS OF CHEESE MELTED ON THE TOP and Dirkee ONION RINGS
RICE DISHES BUT HATE PLAIN WHITE RICE
ORANGE CHICKEN
ANY KIND OF CHOW MEIN
Traditional stuffing WITH ITALIAN SASUAGE BROKEN UP GIVES IT SUCH A GOOD TAST, CHESTNUTS, SAUTE'D MUSHROOM ONION AND CELERY WTIH HOMEMADE GRAVY
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS, PINEAPPLE IF DESIRED AND A TAD OF RUM.
ANY CHOCOLATE DESSERT
ANY KIND OF CHEESECAKE
MOST KINDS OF PIE
ITALIAN PASTRY
NEED I GO ON, I'M HUNGRY NOW.

Last edited by california-jewel; 12-17-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM

518 posts, read 868,305 times
i made a pot of potato and corn chowder with leftover ham bone.easy to make yum yum

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Ham, pork chops, steak, burgers, fried chicken, smoked or fried turkey, haddock, flounder, and most all veggies and fresh fruit. Mix and match.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
...right this minute... steamed artichoke with a lemony, herby hollandaise, seafood paella and a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie That lineup begs for a nice white wine.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Talking Meals you remember years later...!

In past years, there have been a few meals and/or food items so memorable, they just cannot be forgotten or beaten in their superior taste/flavor.

A few I remember oh-so-well:

*pecan-encrusted grouper at a seaside restaurant in NC
*spring green risotto at a trattoria/Italy (omg.......so good)
*grandmother's waffles
*freshly roasted/oiled almonds and Manchego cheese/Spain
*my first bagel in NYC
*awesome deli turkey/bacon sub in NC
*grandmother's Brownstone Front cake
*pasta carbonara that I made once but never again due to horrible fat content...but it was SO good

What about you???

Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
• The first time I had pizza with Romanian feta, some 35 years ago in Dana Point, CA. The place is long gone.
• My very late Mom's meatloaf and mac 'n cheese.
• My Alabama grandmother's pork roast, rice, gravy, cornbread, blackeyed peas & lemon meringue pie suppers.
• The eggplant parm at Mario's in Laguna Niguel, some 10 years ago.
• The chiles rellenos, albondigas soup, & chile colorado at the long-shuttered Señor Licos in Trabuco Canyon, CA.
• The ham & cheese omelet breakfast at Johnson's Corner in Johnstown, CO 11 years ago.
• The scrapple and eggs at a small truck stop in Yocumtown, PA, some 11 years back.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
wow, there are so many, but here are a few that stick in my mind for various reasons:

1-Swordfish at a place in Redondo Beach called the "Plush Horse" I am sure it is gone, this was about 50 years ago; hubby's BD and I was treating. All we could afford was $20 inc tip and dinner was $5.50 each. The menues were swade (or we thought they were) and for a couple of kids just out of college this was a meal for a king. We didn't even mind the bad service cause it was a Friday night and our waiter had a huge table of about 8 or 10 he was tending as well. of course when I told my dad about the place and the service he told me, there is no excuse for bad service. What did we know?

2-Having crab Mornay (spelling) in a famous San Francisco restaurant: I had never had it before and didn't think I would again; I didn't like the sause, it had too much sherry in it: now, it is one of my favorites. again, I think we paid about $5.00 or maybe even $6.00

3-My dad's prime rib french dip sandwhiches. They were the best I have tasted even better than Philippes in Los Angeles. Dad was a great cook and he is the one that gave me my love for the kitchen. Mom was just OK.

4-Lobster in Spain: why do I remember this? Because it wasn't Lobster but craw fish and the waiter, who spoke not a word of English was trying to tell us this by drawing pictures: I finally understood him after he tried to draw an big lobster and then 3 or 4 little one below.

5-my grandmothers hamburger patties, why? they were awful, she would use baking powder to stretch the meat, boy were they bad, but at least she would let my sister and I have coffee when we were kids: all sugar and cream, very little coffee. One other thing she fixed that was really bad: every Thanksgiving she would have dinner at her place and would serve lime jello salad with avacados (she had 3 avacado trees) this might have been fine but of course the avacados woud turn brown. Everyone had avacado trees So Ca at that time and mom would make avacado sandwhiches for us to take to school: also brown by the time lunch break came. This is not a good thing, nor was it a good idea to try and make egg salad sandwhiches when there wasn't enough time to get the eggs really hard boiled. Orange egg salad isn't very good.

Oh the things we remember about our childhood..

Nita

Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Now I am hungry! Good memory.....but what is scrapple???

gbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
• The first time I had pizza with Romanian feta, some 35 years ago in Dana Point, CA. The place is long gone.
• My very late Mom's meatloaf and mac 'n cheese.
• My Alabama grandmother's pork roast, rice, gravy, cornbread, blackeyed peas & lemon meringue pie suppers.
• The eggplant parm at Mario's in Laguna Niguel, some 10 years ago.
• The chiles rellenos, albondigas soup, & chile colorado at the long-shuttered Señor Licos in Trabuco Canyon, CA.
• The ham & cheese omelet breakfast at Johnson's Corner in Johnstown, CO 11 years ago.
• The scrapple and eggs at a small truck stop in Yocumtown, PA, some 11 years back.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Good ones, tasty....lobster drawings

poor dearie, a bad-cooking grandma!

I bet she LOVED you though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, there are so many, but here are a few that stick in my mind for various reasons:

1-Swordfish at a place in Redondo Beach called the "Plush Horse" I am sure it is gone, this was about 50 years ago; hubby's BD and I was treating. All we could afford was $20 inc tip and dinner was $5.50 each. The menues were swade (or we thought they were) and for a couple of kids just out of college this was a meal for a king. We didn't even mind the bad service cause it was a Friday night and our waiter had a huge table of about 8 or 10 he was tending as well. of course when I told my dad about the place and the service he told me, there is no excuse for bad service. What did we know?

2-Having crab Mornay (spelling) in a famous San Francisco restaurant: I had never had it before and didn't think I would again; I didn't like the sause, it had too much sherry in it: now, it is one of my favorites. again, I think we paid about $5.00 or maybe even $6.00

3-My dad's prime rib french dip sandwhiches. They were the best I have tasted even better than Philippes in Los Angeles. Dad was a great cook and he is the one that gave me my love for the kitchen. Mom was just OK.

4-Lobster in Spain: why do I remember this? Because it wasn't Lobster but craw fish and the waiter, who spoke not a word of English was trying to tell us this by drawing pictures: I finally understood him after he tried to draw an big lobster and then 3 or 4 little one below.

5-my grandmothers hamburger patties, why? they were awful, she would use baking powder to stretch the meat, boy were they bad, but at least she would let my sister and I have coffee when we were kids: all sugar and cream, very little coffee. One other thing she fixed that was really bad: every Thanksgiving she would have dinner at her place and would serve lime jello salad with avacados (she had 3 avacado trees) this might have been fine but of course the avacados woud turn brown. Everyone had avacado trees So Ca at that time and mom would make avacado sandwhiches for us to take to school: also brown by the time lunch break came. This is not a good thing, nor was it a good idea to try and make egg salad sandwhiches when there wasn't enough time to get the eggs really hard boiled. Orange egg salad isn't very good.

Oh the things we remember about our childhood..

Nita

Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
• on the morning of my 10th birthday, my dad made me birthday cake shaped pancakes with the number 10 written in blueberries! Mmmm!
• My family and I went to D.C. in 2000. We went to this Ethiopian restaraunt and they had this really weird sponge bread stuff. It was pretty nasty tasting.

Last edited by CancerianMoonPrincess; 06-11-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink