U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM

179 posts, read 1,099,362 times

Advertisements

Hey..thanks for showing that to me. I just sent an e-mail to my real estate agent. Hopefully he will respond to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
You are welcome.
Well I hope it works out for you. I hate shady landlords. UGH!
Personally I would trust that one if you do decide to stay with that unit/LL

Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
It really depends on what you are cooking. I have a small counter top convection/toaster oven and I love it. If I am going to be cooking something in a deep pan like a casserole, I use the regular "bake" mode. However, the convection works great for foods like french fries and frozen chicken tenders, it gets them crispier than a regular oven.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,763,920 times
We have a regular convection oven that can also be used as a regular oven. I use the convection when doing roasts - they do a great job on those, and they do reduce the time by about 1/2 hour on a chicken or a small roast, depending on the size. I can't tell you about a portable. Best of luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 PM

179 posts, read 1,099,362 times
Ok well I got a reply from the real estate agent and my landlord. Technically, my apartment is considered a Lodging House, so none of those rules apply, and they do not need to supply an oven. Blah. I sent a reply e-mail asking if I could buy whatever appliances I want...hopefully he will say yes! I guess I am faced with the choice:

* large toaster oven
* convection oven (countertop type)
* breadmaker

I need to be able to bake...I love cooking! I don't do roasts yet, but I make casseroles, pies, cookies, breads, muffins, etc.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM

398 posts, read 697,444 times
One thing with a convection oven is the temperature used for baking. Most recipes for baking give a conventional oven temp. Convection ovens bake at about 25 degrees lower. Toaster ovens can be used just like a regular oven. Be sure you get a big enough one to bake those pies in!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
I love my convection oven and wouldn't give it up for anything!

Mind you, it's an oven/convection oven combo .. not the micro/convection.

Many years ago, .. a good twenty or thirty, bought a cheap, small counter-top, second-hand convection oven for about $25, and loved it also. When I first met my boyfriend, he also had a small convection oven that he loved and used all the time.

Convection ovens are so great for roasted chicken, meats and roasted veggies. Also used to bake commercially and all we used in one place were convection ovens and they were great for baked goods also. Things like pumpkin pies and such, had to be on a lower temp and covered with parchment paper, so that the tops didn't harden and darken.

For things like muffins and cookies, pies, etc., they work really great .. tend to rise quickly so that muffins will have the poof on top.

Sometimes you don't want your cakes to poof, but rather stay flat. Then I'd rather have a regular oven with a lower heat. But again, lower the temp so it bakes slower .. and longer, and cover with parchment paper if you don't want a crust to form.

But if I had to chose between regular or convection only, it would be convection all the way!

Great for pizzas!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,759,338 times
Is it a full size or a portable / counter top model?

Who is the maker?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
Are you asking me?

If so, what we have now is a regular size oven. But both my boyfriend and myself had in our earlier years, very small-type convection ovens that just sat on the counter.

Sorry, but it was so many years ago now, that I don't remember the names of them and got rid of them both quite awhile ago.

But check out small counter-top convection ovens, either on the internet or stores where they sell small appliances.

The full-size convection oven we have now is by GE.

Also, when cooking with convection ovens, they cut the cooking time down some .. supposedly by a third.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,759,338 times
Thanks, Stone Ground. Yes, I was asking you.

I used a convection oven in a restaurant. It's amazing how much faster things cook!

Why did you specify that it was not a microwave / convection oven combination. Are those not as good?

I almost bought one a few years ago. Instead I purchased a microwave / toaster oven which supposedly does something called "speed cooking" but have never used it in that mode which is part microwave and part heat.

I would use a convection oven, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink