U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 AM

31,229 posts, read 39,015,514 times

Advertisements

Good luck with that. When I had one, I never knew when anything was going to be done, so I didn't use it. If I were doing banana bread that takes an hour conventional, I'd check it after 45 mins. convection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM

386 posts, read 1,066,788 times
I agree, it is so hard to estimate the timing of the food in a convection oven. Mine says it reduces the temperature by 25 degrees but never says how much less time it will take to bake.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,971 times
I have a nuwave oven, i love it, still learning how to cook some things though, for you that have one, have you ever
tried to cook brown and serve rolls, in it, i can do cinammon rolls but that is not the same thing, have baked bread too, like pumpkin bread and such, for a small kitchen, even for a big kitchen, try it you will like it

Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 3,942,463 times
Default Convection Oven

I will be getting a convection oven tomorrow. I've never even used one. I purchased the GE oven. After dealing with Samsung appliances, never again. What are some things I need to be aware of when cooking and baking with convection?

Here is the oven. I'm excited.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-3-c...SLSS/302557708

Old 12-21-2017, 08:14 PM

10,388 posts, read 16,964,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I will be getting a convection oven tomorrow. I've never even used one. I purchased the GE oven. After dealing with Samsung appliances, never again. What are some things I need to be aware of when cooking and baking with convection?

Here is the oven. I'm excited.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-3-c...SLSS/302557708
When you make cookies, you'll want to use a baking sheet with no edges, or the cookies won't bake right. Also, cake doesn't come out good with the convection setting, but it's nice for making golden brown rolls.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:57 PM

11,727 posts, read 10,444,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
Thanks for the replies ladies (and guys!)...though your responses are disappointing.

I am moving in to a new apartment in September, and I went to the real estate agents yesterday. There was an oven in it when I toured it. However, yesterday they told me that the oven did not work and I was not allowed to turn it on! It's one of the rules of the city since there are so many units in that building, we can't have ovens!! I love to bake!

So, the landlord will pay $100 towards a convection oven. Are there any convection ovens that cook things well? Is there a such thing as a portable oven I can buy instead? Cooking time does not mean anything to me...I just want something that cooks yummy cookies and muffins and breads.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I think you are talking about a counter convection oven? I have had a Cusinart counter top convection oven for about 9 years. I use it quite a bit. It baked biscuits this morning. It makes toast. I would bake anything in it with confidence. It preheats quicker than a regular sized oven. You do have to use smaller pans, in some cases.

I have also had a regular sized convection oven in a former kitchen, and I loved how it browned a chicken. It had a great broil function that made delicious chops. I never had any problems with timing things. I started checking five minutes before the time given in a recipe. It was a great oven.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 PM

143 posts, read 67,212 times
Default Beginner question about buying my first convection oven - what can they cook?

Hi,
I was thinking about buying my first convection oven (convection NOT conventional), however, I don't really know what you can cook with them besides the usual pizza, turkey, chicken, lasagna, ham, garlic bread and maybe a pot roast I always see them advertised with being cooked. Is that all they can cook? ...... is just these 7 items?
Thank you

Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM

11,727 posts, read 10,444,289 times
You mean a countertop convection oven? Mine works like a regular conventional oven, but on a smaller scale. We reheat things in ours, especially leftover pizza. You can certainly cook a small pizza in one of these. Bake potatoes, bake a pie, bake anything you would bake in a larger oven, with less time to preheat.

You should also be able to broil.

I make toast almost every day in mine. I got rid of my crummy toaster when I bought my counter top convection oven. I can make up to 6 pieces of toast at one time.

If something needs to be reheated and you want to maintain crispness, one of these will preheat fast, and crisp and reheat very well.

If you are considering buying a regular convection oven, then please know that you can cook anything in them that you would cook in a regular oven. I had one for about a decade and I enjoyed using it. However people complain about having to set the temps back and other stuff. Find out how you would use it before you buy it. Full size ovens are expensive.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 1,021 times
It really depends. When I was 23 I moved to Los Angeles from Washington DC. My first apartment was a efficiency apartment with no oven. I never been a fan of microwaves. So I brought a convection oven. My came with with 2 stove tops also. It worked the same as a oven and did the job. However I never cooked a actual meal in it. It was usually frozen food.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,914,484 times
We have a full-sized convection oven and it's quite handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink