Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:40 PM

179 posts, read 1,208,940 times

Advertisements

Is a small (not restaurant size...apartment size) convection oven better or worse than a regular oven? Can you still bake all the same things in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I was not pleased with the quality of food I got from my small convection oven. The food tasted rubbery and didn't brown properly.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
Is a small (not restaurant size...apartment size) convection oven better or worse than a regular oven? Can you still bake all the same things in it?
We found that the combination of a microwave and a toaster oven worked better than having a microwave in combination with the convection oven. Commercial convection ovens are more advanced with browning capabilities. We are not to please with our convection oven as to the way it cooks. We do like the concept of not heating the house as much. It may be something that we did wrong too or it could be the oven itself. It is around 8 years old so maybe they are better now. It would be nice if you could test drive one before laying down the money. Guess now I'm skeptical.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i prefer a regular oven myself. my parents have a convection that they use a lot and the food comes out fine. the baked goods come out better from a regular oven.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I bought a convection oven a couple of years ago. I was not impressed. Yes, you can cook all of the same things, but for the difference in price there was not a noticeable difference in cooking time or quality of cooking.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am not crazy about mine. The thing I don't like most is that I have no idea when something will be done. Give me the good old oven anytime. I suppose if someone is in a big hurry it would be worth the time to figure the timing out, but I'm not.
I will say that I use the convection roast setting once in a while for something such as a couple of thick porkchops, but never the convection bake setting....it seems unnecessary.
Furthermore the fan in the back of the oven takes up depth, so my favorite old pizza pan doesn't fit anymore.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies (and guys!)...though your responses are disappointing.

I am moving in to a new apartment in September, and I went to the real estate agents yesterday. There was an oven in it when I toured it. However, yesterday they told me that the oven did not work and I was not allowed to turn it on! It's one of the rules of the city since there are so many units in that building, we can't have ovens!! I love to bake!

So, the landlord will pay $100 towards a convection oven. Are there any convection ovens that cook things well? Is there a such thing as a portable oven I can buy instead? Cooking time does not mean anything to me...I just want something that cooks yummy cookies and muffins and breads.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I would get a bread maker. They make the best bread I think. Rather easy to not mess it up at all.

I have baked cookies in my toaster oven no problem.

But I would check on that oven story. That doesnt even make any sense.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Yes...the story is the real deal. In the city of Boston, if an apartment building has too many units, then you cannot have an oven in the units. There is an oven in my apartment, but it does not work (the coils on the top do work). When I saw the oven I thought I was allowed to use it...sadly not. Anyway, they will pay $100 to a portable convection oven.

Are there any humongous toaster ovens that I could buy that would be the same as an oven? Or should I just go with a quality convection oven?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
"Items in an Apartment:
The landlord must provide a working stove and oven.
23 The landlord must provide screens for each window in the units up to and including the fourth floor. They must be in place between April 1stand October 30th.
24The landlord is not required to provide a refrigerator, window blinds,shades, window safety bars or laundry facilities. However, if he doesprovide these services, he must maintain them in good working condition"

http://74.125.39.104/search?q=cache:xjscxpnxRd0J:www.cityofboston.gov/rentalhousing/pdfs/handbook.pdf+Boston,+if+an+apartment+building+has+ too+many+units,+then+you+cannot+have+an+oven&hl=en &ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=us (broken link)

A decent on is going to run you more than 100 bucks. My toaster oven is almost that. Its a delongi. But I would bring up the LLs required duties. There isnt a price cap. If its not there they HAVE to put it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink