U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
324 posts, read 697,353 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

I've been wanting to make a summer soup - something cold and refreshing and I'm looking for ideas. I saw a recipe in the new More magazine for Cold Cucumber soup that sounds delicious. The ingredients are cucumbers, garlic, yogurt, buttermilk ice water, fresh herbs, olive oil and chives. Has anyone made this or another summer soup that's tasty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,169 posts, read 40,957,744 times
Reputation: 29887
I'm a big fan of Gazpacho on a hot summer night, very tasty and refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 AM
 
2,790 posts, read 5,700,159 times
Reputation: 1927
I make hideg meggyleves; that's Hungarian for chilled (hideg) sour cherry (meggy) soup (leves). It is most often served with dessert. And it is not particulary sour. While it does have a certain tartness that is refreshing, the reference to sour cherries means that it is made with sour pie cherries rather than with sweet cherries (which have a different name in Hungarian that I can't think of right now, where's Pista basci when I need him?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
324 posts, read 697,353 times
Reputation: 95
I like gazpacho too - it's perfect for summer! I've never made it myself though. Does anyone have a recipe they can share? When my parents start getting a lot of cucumbers in their garden I'm going to try to make the cucumber soup. The recipe in More looks pretty easy. I've also seen it made with red and chili peppers too but I'm not sure if I would like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,169 posts, read 40,957,744 times
Reputation: 29887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I like gazpacho too - it's perfect for summer! I've never made it myself though. Does anyone have a recipe they can share? When my parents start getting a lot of cucumbers in their garden I'm going to try to make the cucumber soup. The recipe in More looks pretty easy. I've also seen it made with red and chili peppers too but I'm not sure if I would like it that way.
I'd go with a basic of ingredients like:

tomatoes
tomato juice
cucumber
bell pepper
red onion
olive oil
vinegar (I prefer sherry or cider)
lime juice
some use bread as a thickener
stuff I've no doubt forgotten

and tweak the proportions to suit your personal taste. Some like it pureed, others like it chunky, it's very flexinle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,169 posts, read 40,957,744 times
Reputation: 29887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I make hideg meggyleves; that's Hungarian for chilled (hideg) sour cherry (meggy) soup (leves). It is most often served with dessert. And it is not particulary sour. While it does have a certain tartness that is refreshing, the reference to sour cherries means that it is made with sour pie cherries rather than with sweet cherries (which have a different name in Hungarian that I can't think of right now, where's Pista basci when I need him?).


Does this require fresh sour cherries, dried, or ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
324 posts, read 697,353 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd go with a basic of ingredients like:

tomatoes
tomato juice
cucumber
bell pepper
red onion
olive oil
vinegar (I prefer sherry or cider)
lime juice
some use bread as a thickener
stuff I've no doubt forgotten

and tweak the proportions to suit your personal taste. Some like it pureed, others like it chunky, it's very flexinle.
Thanks for sharing! This looks like a good start to me and I like mine a little chunky. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,076 posts, read 3,894,688 times
Reputation: 850
I'd make them if someone would eat them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,126 posts, read 34,619,338 times
Reputation: 16203
My dad used to make wonderful chilled cream soups with either cucumber or zucchini. If you want a low fat alternative, chilled rice congee is delicious on a hot summers day. And top with some chopped scallions and sliced chicken, roast duck or other meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,076 posts, read 3,894,688 times
Reputation: 850
I've had great chilled avocado soup. Would think it something along the lines of avocados, chicken broth, touch of fresh garlic and cilantro and cream, blended.

Very refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top