Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I can eat boiled okra easier than I could ever face sushi or raw oysters....

I can eat and love to eat raw oysters....with a bit of cocktail sauce....my dad taught me to love them. Now sushi is a different story .... I will leave that to people who like it!!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can answer the original question thusly: My birthday dinner (that's lunch to some of you) tomorrow will consist of the following:

Smothered fried chicken
Red beans and rice
Collard greens
Candied yams
Mac and cheese
Cornbread
Sweet tea

And either peach cobbler or sweet potato pie. Haven't made my mind up on that yet. That's assuming I have room for dessert.
Yum!

That was the typical sunday dinner I'd eat at my mother-in-law's house.

I think if I lived in the south I'd be obese. The food is so good!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
If you are not a fellow southerner, I'll eat my shorts!!

That dinner sounds perfect! What time should I be there? I made homemade collards yesterday from my garden so I can bring those (hehe).

By the way, Happy Birthday!

What are "shorts".

Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM

244 posts, read 718,044 times
Southern for me! That is, as long as I'm not cooking it because then I don't know how much butter/bacon fat went it to making such delicious food.

On my list of favorites

· baked mac n' cheese
· cheesy shredded potato casserole w/ corn flake topping
· mustard greens
· green beans w/ bacon fat and/or hamhock
· *sweet* cornbread
· sweet tea!
· homemade fudge
· gravy(all of em please:ham, turkey, sawmill)
· fried okra
· candied sweet potatoes
· made from scratch chicken n' dumplins
· made from scratch blueberry dumplins
· homemade orange sherbert
· all the southern squash concoctions I have ever tried
· bar-b-q ribs

I think I'm done cause my mouth is seriously watering....

Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
That sounds pretty good except for the sweet cornbread. No self-respecting Southerner eats cornbread make with sugar. That's called "cake!"

My acid test for a Southern cookbook is a recipe for fried green tomatoes. And none of that creamy sauce for them...a good fried green tomato should be crispy!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
WHAT???????? I have never heard of a creamy sauce for fried green tomatoes! That is a sacrilege!

Old 07-25-2009, 05:20 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
i dont think anyone in their right mind is gonna pick Northern food over Southern food.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i dont think anyone in their right mind is gonna pick Northern food over Southern food.
I prefer Northern food to Southern food-I grew up on it and much of it is 'home' to me. But nothing in the world beats my mom's Russian food-that's the best.

I do love Mac and Cheese and Collared Greens, and have developed a fondness for Red Beans and Rice. I don't think there's a need to say one food is better than the other-can't we all just agree that ALL American food, whether it's Northern or Southern in region, is ALL DELICIOUS?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Well, most folks do prefer the food they grew up on! After all, mama does it best!

I never understood why macaroni and cheese is considered a Southern dish. My mom, who grew up in the North Carolina mountains, never heard of it until maybe the late 1950s.

I'm thinking that it was like pizza and spaghetti...most Americans (Italian-Americans excepted, of course) had never heard of them until the WWII soldiers who had been in Italy brought that knowledge back with them. My dad said he wouldn't eat spaghetti for years because he had seen the pasta in Italy, draped over balcony railings to dry...with the flies lighting on it!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
I ll go Southern but there are many Northern foods i like as well.
Southern:Fried Chicken,Okra,Carolina BBQ,Cobbler,Cornbread,Black Eyed Pea's..
Cajun,Grits,Greens(if its done right)Sweet Potatoe Pie,Cheese Straws.

Northern:Crabcakes,Philly Cheesesteaks,Cannoli?,Greek Food,Good Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink