Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,606,213 times

Advertisements

My base rib(all pork) rub is:
1C. brown sugar
1/2C. paprika
2-3T. blk pepper
2T. k.salt
Then I usually add:
1-2tsp chili pwdr
1-2T each of garlic & onion pwdr
1-2tsp cayenne...usually 1

I trim up spares, remove membrane, rub w/worchest sauce or dales steak seasoning and add rub. I do the bone side first, cover w/rub, flip over and do the meat side the same. Then they go into the smoker bone side down.

The two racks I did yesterday came out great, I never flipped or foiled and when they were look'n a bit too dry I poured a little beer/apple cider vinegar mix on top. When that can was empty I used just beer or wine. Just to keep a bit moist, did it about every hr-hr 1/2. Watch for the meat to pull from the bone or pick them up, you'll be able to tell. When eating the bone was clean, yet you had to bite it off. Fall off bone is overdone, IMHO, and if the bone isn't clean it should have been on longer, again IMHO.

Hoisen would work, you may want to dilute a bit as it's a paste, right? I like vinegar based sauces so if it were me I'd add that, if you like tomato based, then tomato juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,605,748 times
I

Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM

I cook themn in them in the crock pot until the meat comes off the bones. Then I make my own BBQ sauce from molasses, ketchup, mustard, honey, and some other ingredients. Then I remove the fat and bones, shred the meat with a fork, put the meat back in the crock pot with my BBQ sauce (smothered in the sauce) and make pulled pork sandwiches. They are always a big hit and I get requests for the sandwiches all the time.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Andrea - use a boston butt(pork shoulder) next time. Less work and much cheaper. You'll get the same results, too.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate them all.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM

76 posts, read 404,499 times
Believe it or not, in the oven in my roaster. I use country style boneless ribs, season them right in the roaster with garlic powder, adobo, black pepper, onion powder, chili powder, a small amount of allspice and a few dashes of liquid smoke. Place lid on roaster and place roaster in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 & 1/2 hrs. Drain off all liquid into a sauce pan, leaving the ribs in the roaster with lid on to continue roasting, but reduce oven temp to 250 degrees. Bring drained off liquid in sauce pan to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until it is reduced to half. Add 1/2 to 2/3 of a regular sized bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce to the reduced liquid and blend together. Spoon over the ribs and roast another 1/2 hour or so, (this time without lid), until sauce adheres to ribs and ribs are tender enough to cut with a fork. Enjoy with macaroni and cheese, corn on the cob, green beans and freshly baked biscuits with butter.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,931,438 times
Spare ribs, all the way. I barbeque them, but not after par-boiling. Fall off the bones meat is not my style. Cook the meat on the bones and rip it of and gnaw at the bones for a while. Just something primal about it *starts pounding my chest*.

I cook them two different ways. First way is with seasoning. I use Durkee's Grill Creation Steak Dust, McCormick's Broiled Steak, and garlic powder. I have to be carefuly with the Broiled Steak because too much makes it too salty. I just shake those ingredients on both sides of the ribs, let sit for about 15 mins, then grill.

The other way, is I use something called Aloha Barbeque Sauce. I marinate the ribs overnight in that with minced garlic and pepper. (I always set some aside to redip after barbequing to give a last layer of flaver. The Aloha is a little sweet, so it grills nicely.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Andrea - use a boston butt(pork shoulder) next time. Less work and much cheaper. You'll get the same results, too.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate them all.
Wow! I definitely will! Makes me hungry for BBQ now! Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Speaking of BBQ - I'd reallly love to master ribs on the grill. I've heard of boiling them first, then grilling and then there are those who just grill them and they come out falling off the bone..
Anyone have a good technique for grilling beef ribs on the grill.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Speaking of BBQ - I'd reallly love to master ribs on the grill. I've heard of boiling them first, then grilling and then there are those who just grill them and they come out falling off the bone..
Anyone have a good technique for grilling beef ribs on the grill.
DO NOT BOIL YOUR RIBS!!! They will have no taste, it all goes in the water.

Grill is same as smoker, indirect heat if you can, low temp (225-250*), low and slow. It takes practice, but just don't boil them.

There is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hrs at 225-250(smoke), 2 hrs wrapped in foil(on the smoker/grill, same temp) then 1 hr out of foil on grill/smoker and add bbq sauce. Time isn't as important as "the look" they get. on the "3" when the meat pulles from the bone about 1/4-1/2" then into foil. Watch them in the foil, if the meat pulls back 1/2 - 3/4" then out they go to firm up. Add sauce and you just gotta feel them, test them, to see if they are how you like them. How they look is so important to know when to baste, pull, or add sauce.

Again, just don't boil them if you want good taste'n ribs.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM

73 posts, read 319,644 times
Default A nice alternative to boiling....

If you want to get the same effect as boiling your ribs- try a crockpot, I stand my 2 or 3 bone sections up, fill the crock pot until the liquid level is about half the height of the ribs. The trick is to not use all water, but put a little bit of seasoning in it (I mix my rub, some worchestershire, dash soy sauce, and a little liquid smoke). I set it on low and let it go for 4-6 hours, then sauce 'em and put them in the toaster over for 10 minutes. If you let the crockpot go for more than 6 hours, the meat just shreds.

As you can tell I developed my cooking technique in an apartment where I couldn't have a grill, a smoker, and the over was broke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink