U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM

29,545 posts, read 18,797,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Because it is common knowledge, that our italian is italian american

Maybe the food is actually authentic, but if that is the case, then all of Italy just eats pizza, and pasta with cheese and tomatoes
It IS the case. It DOES NOT mean that "all of Italy just eats pizza, and pasta with cheese and tomatoes", perhaps you have done a poor job in seeking out authentic Italian cuisine, it IS available here.

Quote:
We do not have all the things they have
That DOES NOT mean that what we have here isn't authentic.

Last edited by burdell; 08-20-2008 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,818,885 times
^^^

Then why dont you point me to a place in NJ or NYC that serves italian and not just pizza and a pasta, but a greater variety that can be found in italy

Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM

16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
I'm still getting the feeling of some sort of "agenda" on the part of the OP. Almost as if we're supposed to provide confirmation of a preconception. (Perhaps it's the "common knowledge" statement - when that's used, it's frequently neither common nor knowledge, in my experience ).

That being said, I had some wonderful Italian food in Boston. I don't think any two people at the table had the same thing, nor did anyone have pasta - and we're talking about 12 people (graduation celebratory dinner).

Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
^^^

Then why dont you point me to a place in NJ or NYC that serves italian and not just pizza and a pasta, but a greater variety that can be found in italy

Why don't you first explain wht it is you ask questions as if you have very limited knowledge of Italian cuisine yet are so willing to denounce what we have in the US as not authentic? How is it you seem to have little knowledge yet seem to feel you know what is authentic?

And you ask to be pointed to a place that serves "a greater variety that can be found in italy" That would be by definition non-aurthentic. What's the point?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 AM

I talked to my son who just moved back from several years in NYC and New Jersey. He's going to come up with a list for me, but right off the bat he gave me a couple of names of restaurants that serve Italian - Babbos and cacio e pepe. (Boy, I really want to try that second one, looking at the menu!)

By the way, he points out that pasta is merely a course, much like salad is a course. So saying that Italian food is all pasta is much like saying that Americans eat nothing but salad.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,023,957 times
I think all of your questions have been answered by very gracious posters including my lengthy one from page one. I almost get the feeling that you are posing an argument. You have gotten many helpful links to go to. Go to the library and read about the cuisine in all of Italy, you will find they are vast, and yes, when Italians come to America and open up a restaurant it becomes Italian-American.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I talked to my son who just moved back from several years in NYC and New Jersey. He's going to come up with a list for me, but right off the bat he gave me a couple of names of restaurants that serve Italian - Babbos and cacio e pepe. (Boy, I really want to try that second one, looking at the menu!)

By the way, he points out that pasta is merely a course, much like salad is a course. So saying that Italian food is all pasta is much like saying that Americans eat nothing but salad.

I would add: Visit Arthur Ave in the Bronx or Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. If you can't find authentic italian cuisine in the NY Metro area you ain't tryin'.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I would add: Visit Arthur Ave in the Bronx or Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. If you can't find authentic italian cuisine in the NY Metro area you ain't tryin'.

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx was also where my son recommended sending the OP for good Italian - in a neighborhood that's been Italian for who knows how long.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,937,350 times
Quote:
^^^

SERIOUSLY???

I don't even live in NYC and I can find them... ever hear of GOOGLE?
Lusardi's
Novita (http://www.novitanyc.com/novita/html/index.htm - broken link) check out the dinner menu
ALTO // TASTING MENU
Del Posto - Menu
http://www.becco-nyc.com/pdf/dinner5_1_08.pdf (broken link)

And that is just the first few I looked at! It isn't JUST pasta and RED sauce... seriously I think the OP is laughing at the computer screen as they are trying to make everyone jump through hoops to prove Italians are more creative than Pizza Hut and Ragu. This HAS to be a joke... nobody is that oblivious to Italian Cuisine... especially if they eat in NYC....

AND just a little education... as I am IRISH and didn't realize this until I met my ITALIAN Hubby... Pasta is a STARTER... not a main course

Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,900,817 times
Quote:
Describe italian cuisine to me

Most of what I know are a whole lot of pastas w/ different sauces

More wheat shaped differently mixed w/tomato sauce, and some ground beef

and of course NY pizza

Is real italian just carbohydrates w/ different sauces, and maybe some meat mixed in?

Do they eat a lot of different fishes, or animals?

Is it mostly stir-fry, oven, or grilled?

Is tomato and cheese the base for just about every sauce and topping, or garnish, or meat enhancer?

I'm Italian.....half of my family is sicilian and the other half from "little tueno" aka northern italy. Although the traditional family setting is the same, the food does differ......Northern Italians tend to lean towards hot meals such as chilindidi (italian dumplings) shmodum (italina breakfast), odgida (warm sandwich roll). Where as sicilly tends to lean towards the fish and pasta's. It is really rare to find a place in america that serves actual Italian food....and if you ever go to sicili you'll find that they put frenchfries on thier pizza and call it "american pizza" lol very funny how they think of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink