Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times

Advertisements

Describe italian cuisine to me

Most of what I know are a whole lot of pastas w/ different sauces

More wheat shaped differently mixed w/tomato sauce, and some ground beef

and of course NY pizza

Is real italian just carbohydrates w/ different sauces, and maybe some meat mixed in?

Do they eat a lot of different fishes, or animals?

Is it mostly stir-fry, oven, or grilled?

Is tomato and cheese the base for just about every sauce and topping, or garnish, or meat enhancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
DH is Italian... I too thought it was just about pasta and pizza... OH boy... it is about Pasta... and meats... and soups... and salads of sorts... and so much MORE... it is all about FOOD....

Italian Food: Regional Food

Old 08-16-2008, 06:54 PM

what kind of meats do they eat

are they steak eaters or is it only baby cows, rabbits, and quails

Old 08-16-2008, 07:14 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Wow, where do I begin? Italian food is an experience with family, friends and food. When someone comes over to our home unexpectedly, I start taking simple things out of the fridge for them to eat. We share our friendship and love with food. If you were to come here right now, I grilled slices of our home grown eggplant today, I would toast some pine nuts, take out the Ricotta cheese & Pecorino Romano grated, add an egg, fresh parsley & a touch of nutmeg, mix it all up and put a tablespoon on top of the slice of eggplant, roll it up, cover with spaghetti sauce (homemade from tomatoes from my garden) & bake it for 20 mins. You would sit down to an Italian antipasto with different olives, artichokes, lettuces, meats and cheeses, & of course, crispy Italian garlic bread. My husbands ancestors are from Sicily mine, Naples, the foods are vastly different, but when we blend them together we get the same results, simple and absolutely delicious.
Italian food used to be peasant food 100 years ago, now it is on every gourmet menu. Lots of vegetables, escarole & beans, plenty of garlic, chicken Marsala with mushrooms. Simple and light veal or chicken piccata in a light lemon sauce, chicken pomodoro, with a light diced tomato sauce, baked chicken in white wine, spices and garlic, veal or chicken saltimbocca, veal/chicken braised with spinach, Parma prosicuitto, provolone in Marsala sauce. Simple soups, minestrone, chicken tortellini with little meatballs. Sunday dinners were homemade ravioli, meatballs, sausage, pork brachole, (or lasagna or manicotti) with homemade red gravy. Fish, fish and more fish. Italian food is about having people enjoy what you cook. Last night my husband worked later then usual and wanted to eat around 9:00 PM, I had fried homegrown green banana peppers, little sea salt and a lot of garlic and he put that on crusty Italian bread. It is the simple foods that make some serious delicious snacks/meals.
I have always cooked like this for my family practically every night and used to work at of the home 10-12 hrs. a day. It took preparation ahead of time, but the smiles and end results were always worth it. I have company at our home at least once a week, bring food to our Vet, employees at the restaurants we go to, homeless people, my husbands boss, etc. and I our food bill is still $65.00 a week. There isn't anything processed in our home & we eat very well.
If you live in NJ you have easy access to so many different food experiences, if you get a chance embrace them.
If you would like to look at my website, I self-published an Italian cookbook, you can see a couple recipes it is BCFALCO Italian Cuisine & Cookbook
I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. kelsie

Last edited by kelsie; 08-16-2008 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Just when you start to think it's all olive oil, pasta, and tomatoes you might venture into a Northern Italian meal where rice and butter rule the day, or onto the cuisine of Venice where seafood of many types is a staple. I think the common element in regional cooking is to take the best local ingredients you can find and use them wisely, to please your eyes, your nose, your taste buds, and to center time with family and friends.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
We were stationed in Italy (Naples) for 3 years. I was surprised on how little tomato they used in their cooking, and even less tomato sauce. There were more beans than I thought.

The post above about it being all about the family around the table, and taking the best of each area.

If there is something specific you are looking for, I brought home a cookbook from Naples - Southern Italian Cooking - and would be happy to look it up for you.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 PM

What kind of fish do italians use

I get a sense that the meat and the way it is cooked is not important, but the cheeses, oils, and everything that is going on it that makes it a good meal

Do italians use a lot of spices, or is it just vegetables oils, and cheeses that they use to garnish their meats with

As you can see I am concerned with meat, what kind of meats do they use

Do italians like to serve huge quantities of meat

Also do they cut things into small pieces like the chinese

Do they like to saute, grill, bake, or etc. which ones

Old 08-17-2008, 03:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
To me Italian food is about variety and incredibly fresh ingredients. Pasta and Pizza are only a tiny part of Italian cuisine. Each province has a very distinct cuisine and I love the use of Game , meats, vegetables and of course the fabulous seafood. And let's not forget the wonderful risottos.

A lot of wonderful hearty stews, fantastic soups, and a lot of very simply prepared brilliant fresh food. In Italy the most important thing is the quality of the ingredients.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Most of what you get in Italian restaurants is not real Italian food. Far from it. A trip to Italy and eating at restaurants NOT dedicated to tourists will reveal a complex, imaginative, highly regionalized cuisine. Red sauces are pretty rare, and except in the north, Olive Oil is the fat of choice. Meat is usually served in small quantities, and used more as a condiment, or one of many ingredients.

It is possible to find authentic Italian recipes on line and in books, but finding the wholesome ingredients in an agri-business dominated USA is not an easy task.

I am about to drive 40 miles to get some decent tomatoes and mozzarella, plus dozens of other essentials. Most of the tomatoes will be eaten raw, and a few Romas will help flavor primo e secondo piatti.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:26 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
Spicy, saucy, usually tomato-y always tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink