U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM

183,980 posts, read 74,990,336 times

Advertisements

Just 12? I just dropped from 35-40 a week to 1-2 a week. I drink a lot of iced tea again. The decaf type. I was raised on iced tea with way to much sugar. Now a 1/8 of a cup or less is adequate in a gallon of tea. Just enough to take any bitterness out. We are also using more green tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:38 PM

589 posts, read 1,437,652 times
I try to drink just 1 Barq's root beer per day. The rest of the day is usually water.

12 in a week is not much to many people. My brother-in-law drinks about 5 or more a day.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,651,108 times
I stopped drinking Coca-Cola on November 29, 2005. Believe me, it is easier to stop completely than to think that you can drink just one or two a day. I did it for health reasons, but I am not convinced. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM

44,345 posts, read 35,399,469 times
I don't drink as many as I used to, as I'm trying not to take in as much sugar as in the past. A few weeks ago, I purchased a six-pack of Classic Coke in the 8-ounce glass bottles. Before that, it was the six eight-ounce pack of Dublin Dr Pepper. But, right now, I'm keeping those purchases to a minimum. Every now and then, though, I think it's okay to have one, but I'm at a point where I won't do it every day or every week. Water is most important to me at this time.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
There is some kind of no-calorie flavour packets you can add to water. One of the ladies I once worked with used them. She added them to plain water just to add some flavor. I don't know the brand or where to get them, but they are out there.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,643,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
There might be no sugar, but there is still artificial flavors and sweeteners. You may as well drink soda; that stuff is no better for you.

I usually drink coffee or hot tea with a meal. Or you might try juice or milk. Anything else, like say a raspberry tea from a restaraunt, is pretty much soda.
There is no sugar, and no sweeteners. It is just seltzer with flavoring, it is not sweet. I just pulled a bottle of the raspberry from the fridge, it says "carbonated water and natural flavor", 0 calories.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,801,220 times
You need food.
You need water.
You can't survive without those things.
You can survive without pop.
Natural fruit juice would be healthy even if you water it down a little.
Some milk once in awhile would be good for the bone strenghtening calcium you would get from it.
I don't think you are drinking so much pop that you really have a problem though. Just don't let it be your only beverage.
All things in moderation. You don't really sound a pop junkie.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,143,358 times
My son was a big pop drinker. Computers and pop seem to go together for some reason.

Anyway, he quit by drinking bubbly mineral water. There are many brands and flavors. It's been a couple years now and he says he feels much better.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Buy some fruit "cordials" or fruit "syrups" and dilute with water. I have about 10 different flavours, all natural with no added colourings or additives and they taste great. If you can find those in the US that is as I am not sure. Maybe in delis ?
Carbonated drinks are not very good for you so it is a good idea to cut down if you can.
How about fruit juices ( so many different types) and things like Smoothies ?
Those fruit syrups are very popular in Europe, esp. Eastern Europe. Raspberry is the most popular, and the word for raspberry in Hungarian can also mean this sort of drink in general (of any flavor). However, the only thing I have seen come close here in the US are those drink flavorings you can get at specialty shops similar to what they use in Starbucks or other premium coffee/tea shops. If someone has an Ikea store around them, I have found they carry a type of syrup flavoring called Elderflower that is phenomenal (reminds me of the kind we made ourselves from the flowers we gathered in our forest in the old country). You dilute with water or seltzer water if you want the "fizz".

If someone is trying to cut back on carbonated high fructose corn syrup (that's basically what all soda/pop flavors consist of) you are best quitting cold turkey. HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), as far as I'm concerned, is an addiction not unlike an addiction to drugs. It causes spikes and drops in blood sugar worse than if you were popping cubes of sugar, and stimulates your appetite for more, more, more! It is the poison with which Corporate America keeps their subjects "medicated".

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

589 posts, read 1,437,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Those fruit syrups are very popular in Europe, esp. Eastern Europe. Raspberry is the most popular, and the word for raspberry in Hungarian can also mean this sort of drink in general (of any flavor). However, the only thing I have seen come close here in the US are those drink flavorings you can get at specialty shops similar to what they use in Starbucks or other premium coffee/tea shops. If someone has an Ikea store around them, I have found they carry a type of syrup flavoring called Elderflower that is phenomenal (reminds me of the kind we made ourselves from the flowers we gathered in our forest in the old country). You dilute with water or seltzer water if you want the "fizz".
This is called SAFT which means syrup.

If you google 'saft syrup' you will come up with recipes and places you can purchase it online. I remember it from when I was in Norway (and that was 20+ years ago!). YUMMMM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink