Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,525 times

Advertisements

Most of the men in my mothers family cook. And they cook good food too.
Like many posters here said, they just dont like cleaning.

My uncle is the only person that cooks in his house. His wife doesnt cook much. He can cook a really good meal, but my cousins are always the ones cleaning up the mess.
He'll clean it up eventually, but he just takes tooo long. (A week !!)

My brother likes to cook: eggs, eggs and eggs. Whether it be scrambled, sunnyside up or over easy. He can cook it.

But thats the only thing he knows how to make. I still give him his props though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Love cooking, hate cleaning.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
My brothers both like to cook, my older brother does the majority of the cooking for his family. My dad was also the "breakfast king" growing up and always handled breakfasts and many easy dinners like grilled cheese and soup, pasta, etc.

My boyfriend also loves to cook, as do I. We alternate, depending on the mood, but often we cook together. He is the grill master and smoker man....... The fall and wintertimes are especially nice because we like to cook big hearty meals together and trying new recipes. We also love to go out to eat, and do so once or twice a week. And, like has been mentioned, it is important to clean as much as you go while cooking. And if I cook, he cleans. If he cooks, I clean. Win win

Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,122 times
i like to cook and prefer do my own grocery shoping. i used to shop 3-4 times a week, now since we moved to the rural area with high gas price i only shop 1-2 time in a week. i plan menu base on what look good or on sale that day. this is opposit when wife used to cook for the family, she hate to shop, she will planed menu in advance for the whole week and make a list accordingly. i find out my way of doing we get better value for our meal.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
I always enjoyed grocery shopping with the entire family. Twenty two years, and three kids later we still find ourselves all piling in to go grocery shopping. I enjoy cooking too. We bought a food concession trailer about 5 years ago, and enjoy cooking at different events.

Our extended families, and friends always make sure they come to parties at our house. They know that they are in for a food-a-palooza shindig.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I cook by feel and seat-of-the-pants. Recipes serve as quidelines and suggestions. I can improvise pretty well with the things on hand. I DO like to try new things and methods
Here, here. Sometimes part of the fun of a recipe is customizing it.

Its seems like if a cook knows their ingredients and how they respond to each other and different conditions, there is nothing they can't try.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
I love cooking....

I have been doing it professionally for 21 years. It has taken me coast to coast, to the Caribbean and now in Japan. It has paid me very well, fed me very well and introduced me to wonderful people from the highest society and celebrity to the average john/jill q public that enjoys a quality meal, all of which are treated with the same respect. I have had the honor to meet some of the most talented artists from winemakers, cheesmakers, butchers and other chefs, and have sampled their craft in settings that most people would never see. The quest for new techniques and foods from around the world is in every beat of my heart and that discovery (even by someone else) makes my pulse quicken and brings pure joy to that moment. How many jobs can do all that?

So Im the fortunate one, I cook, and I absoultely love my job.

The dishes?....well Im a little spoiled here at work and a team cleans up after me, however if I make a mess, I try and clean it, thats the way I was taught.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
My husband LOVES to cook. He takes after his Italian Momma. He doesn't mind dipping, breading, kneading, pounding, filleting, stuffing, rolling, etc......

He can get pretty creative though sometimes I wish he wouldn't spice so much. I'm teaching him to spice very little and let others take care of their own plates.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:08 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I love cooking and baking, though I dont get to do it much with work lately but try to at least make 3 or 4 meals a week.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
My husband claims that he don`t know how, but when we first got married, he used to fix me a nice breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sausage, toast.... hhmmmm....Cop out, ya` think? lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink