Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jar or You - Who makes your pasta sauces?
Jar 13 18.57%
You 29 41.43%
Jar & You 27 38.57%
Pasta sauce is nasty! 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,200,292 times

Advertisements

We... me and mine actually made it from scratch last night and I feel so silly all these years for paying for the jar.

A new way to be cheapo! Since Huntz isnt 99cents anymore.

(And tastes like total crap compared to homemade)

What we did was really simple
- bloops of OO in the pan
- garlic clove slightly golden on the edges
- italian tomatos that looks like an eggplant (dont know the name)
- some tomatos from a garden - round ones..I have no idea what
- Spice Hunter italian spices
- Bay leaves
- S & P
- 2 pkgs of soy sauce
- tomato paste (my cheat)
- add rom chz in the last few minutes before serving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,936,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I do basically the same a Burdell. I put the shrimp in the hot pan, top with bread crumbs and bake about 7 min.
And you talk about MY cookin'?!?! When you comin' out to Texas!?!?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,141,701 times
I use both because I "jar" my own. Although I must be honest and confess I have used store bought jarred sauce for a recipe when I am out of my own. I don't use store bought for the actual sauce if it is standing alone on top of pasta it is too bland even with adding my spices.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,217,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
As far as red sauce, I love Newman's Own Marinara sauce.

Why don't you share some of your recipes for pasta sauces ???

Got an easy Shrimp Scampi ???
Shrimp scampi's about the easiest, quickest thing in the world...but you can't tell anybody that.

Mine is a lot like Burdell's.

Heat OO w/butter in pan. Add garlic (we like lots), let it soften, but not brown.

Take raw, deveined, peeled shrimp, throw on some S&P, throw into pan, don't crowd it tho. Just enough for like a layer. Flip over, done. It takes like 2-3 minutes, that's all, unless you like rubbery shrimp. Oh, if you like, throw on some freshly grated parmesan and some chopped parsley. Heaven.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,199,405 times
I answered both. When I have time and all the ingredients I make my own. If I am in a hurry we use a jar.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,694,446 times
Jar. I don't like homemade spaghetti sauce. Ragu is it for me. I also don't like alfredo sauces.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM

187 posts, read 673,435 times
Francesco Rinaldi makes mine. I usually don't have enough time or energy to make my own sauce. I'm on my own, anyway, and I'd probably wind up with more sauce than I could ever use if I tried to make it from scratch.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM

431 posts, read 1,200,239 times
I always make mine. I don't care for the jar one.
And ever since husband got used to my pasta sauce he refuses to eat the store bought.

I make a large batch, portion and freeze.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,022,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Shrimp scampi's about the easiest, quickest thing in the world...but you can't tell anybody that.

Mine is a lot like Burdell's.

Heat OO w/butter in pan. Add garlic (we like lots), let it soften, but not brown.

Take raw, deveined, peeled shrimp, throw on some S&P, throw into pan, don't crowd it tho. Just enough for like a layer. Flip over, done. It takes like 2-3 minutes, that's all, unless you like rubbery shrimp. Oh, if you like, throw on some freshly grated parmesan and some chopped parsley. Heaven.
No I'm not a big fan of rubbery shrimp.

I'm going get some shrimp and try it tomorrow. (I'll be adding hot pepper flakes to mine, though) and some lemon on the side...

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,427,105 times
I never tried the jar until I got to college, and I've never liked it. It tastes really artificial compared to the homemade kind.

I make large batches of spaghetti meat sauce and freeze, and smaller batches of marinara that I also freeze. The marinara is for cheese ravioli, mostly. I don't make the ravioli myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink