Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,635,750 times

Advertisements

I like my pancakes with mashed banana mixed into the pancake batter, sliced banana on the top and a drizzle of honey. Seriously, if God eats pancakes that is how he has them. It's made even more of a novelty if you listen to the song 'Banana Pancakes' by Jack Johnson while eating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:11 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,194,912 times
Wow! This thread is making me hungry again. We rarely have pancakes...but we did this morning. Big, thick hot cakes slathered with real butter, thick maple syrup and loads of fresh, sliced strawberries. They were awesome!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,484,339 times
This thread is making me very hungry, guess what I'll be having for breakfast tomorrow.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to pancakes: pancakes made from New Hope Mills, real NY maple syrup, real butter. Blueberries, not always but when I do, they go in the batter. I might throw a few on top, but that's it. Although most people I know like pancakes and sausage, I actually prefer pancakes and bacon. The saltiness of the bacon is a good contrast with the sweetness of the maple syrup. YUMM.....

Anybody else here like buckwheat pancakes???

Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,200 times
Syrup, Syrup, and more Syrup... dripping with SYRUP....and if I need some... I add more SYRUP

Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,333,860 times
Well, I love pancakes.

My daughter loves strawberries, so what i do for her is, thaw out a bag of frozen strawberries, then put them in a pan and cook on low till they are very mushy and syrupy. Then I use this syrup directly on the pancake or mix it half and half with PURE maple syrup. I put either of these syrups on her buttered pancakes. If you like this type of syrup and don't want to make it all the time, it freezes well, you can freeze it in an ice cube tray, then throw it in a zip lock bag, and take out however many cubes you need each time and zap them in the microwave.

I myself like blueberry. Me and the kids pick them and then freeze them, so we always have fresh picked blueberries in the freezer for this purpose. I used to just put the pancake batter on the griddle, then sprinkle a few blueberries on each of them. And that was delicious, but it was mucking up my griddle for the next batch. So one day, at the last minute, i threw the blueberries in the microwave for too long (I meant to only defrost them). Well, they got mushy, syrupy and SWEET. all of the tartness gone and all the blueberry flavor intact. You don't need a huge amount of them, the flavor is so nice a little goes a long way. So, on my pancakes, I put butter (none of that fake butter crap), then a few spoonfuls of the microwaved blueberries, and then PURE maple syrup. Now those are the absolute BEST way to eat blueberries on pancakes. I encourage ANYONE who likes blueberry pancakes to try this method (if your blueberries arent frozen, i would just wash and microwave, i would not microwave the blueberries dry, they prob. will need a little extra moisture). If you try it, come back and tell everyone if you liked it or not.

On the pancakes, I've always used bisquick--but i measure out the milk, then add a dash of lemon juice, let it sit for a bit, then continue with the pancake mix. (this is a shortcut for buttermilk, so you can do it for biscuits too)

Oh, and if I didn't mention it (twice), it needs to be PURE maple syrup. There simply is no substitute! (heated up of course)

Maybe I will make pancakes in the morning.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 PM
bjh

59,873 posts, read 30,237,494 times
cherry pie filling

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,325,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
cherry pie filling
I think I have, I think I have, I think I have a can in the cupboard If not I will by tomorrow. After some contemplation, I not sure this is a good thread after all. I can see to things rising here now. 1 - my weight, and 2 - the price of flour.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,692,966 times
butter and syrup

on occasion I like bacon bits and/or pecans

Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,330,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Syrup, Syrup, and more Syrup... dripping with SYRUP....and if I need some... I add more SYRUP
It drives me crazy when I am only half done eating my pancakes and they absorb all the syrup. My syrup has got to stay runny through the meal.
Today the strawberry syrup absorbed into the pancake....ooo la la

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
People think I'm crazy but I do like my Grandpa. I just salt and pepper my pancakes. I was blown away the first time I saw him eat pancakes when I was a kid. But actually now I like it that way. Two eggs over easy, some hash browns and pancakes with salt and pepper, black coffee. Great breakfast for me as I don't like all that sugar first thing in the morning.
If you like salt n pepper you should try potatoe cakes if you haven already

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Well, I love pancakes.

My daughter loves strawberries, so what i do for her is, thaw out a bag of frozen strawberries, then put them in a pan and cook on low till they are very mushy and syrupy. Then I use this syrup directly on the pancake or mix it half and half with PURE maple syrup. I put either of these syrups on her buttered pancakes. If you like this type of syrup and don't want to make it all the time, it freezes well, you can freeze it in an ice cube tray, then throw it in a zip lock bag, and take out however many cubes you need each time and zap them in the microwave.

I myself like blueberry. Me and the kids pick them and then freeze them, so we always have fresh picked blueberries in the freezer for this purpose. I used to just put the pancake batter on the griddle, then sprinkle a few blueberries on each of them. And that was delicious, but it was mucking up my griddle for the next batch. So one day, at the last minute, i threw the blueberries in the microwave for too long (I meant to only defrost them). Well, they got mushy, syrupy and SWEET. all of the tartness gone and all the blueberry flavor intact. You don't need a huge amount of them, the flavor is so nice a little goes a long way. So, on my pancakes, I put butter (none of that fake butter crap), then a few spoonfuls of the microwaved blueberries, and then PURE maple syrup. Now those are the absolute BEST way to eat blueberries on pancakes. I encourage ANYONE who likes blueberry pancakes to try this method (if your blueberries arent frozen, i would just wash and microwave, i would not microwave the blueberries dry, they prob. will need a little extra moisture). If you try it, come back and tell everyone if you liked it or not.

On the pancakes, I've always used bisquick--but i measure out the milk, then add a dash of lemon juice, let it sit for a bit, then continue with the pancake mix. (this is a shortcut for buttermilk, so you can do it for biscuits too)

Oh, and if I didn't mention it (twice), it needs to be PURE maple syrup. There simply is no substitute! (heated up of course)

Maybe I will make pancakes in the morning.
great tips as I was trying to figure what to do with the left overs I put in the fridge if I dont use them soon
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think I have, I think I have, I think I have a can in the cupboard If not I will by tomorrow. After some contemplation, I not sure this is a good thread after all. I can see to things rising here now. 1 - my weight, and 2 - the price of flour.
You probably dont eat pancakes every day .. Live it up.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,200,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Remember what grandma used to say in the old days?
Shut up and eat

I've got too much cake lately, so I will take a break from pancakes but I keep an eye on you and one day I'll commit the sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink