Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Well Woofers? How did the popcorn turn out? What method did you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
I use an air popper and I love it!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
You know what else is good?

Popcorn balls. I make the binder by melting some marshmallows with some butter, pour over popcorn, work quickly to make all the balls before it sets.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times
I make mine on top of the stove usually in peanut oil or melted shortening. I have used coconut oil and really like that, but don't generally keep it on hand. I top it with melted BUTTER, and maybe some Parmesan cheese. If going for lower fat I like to season it with Italian seasoning.

The other day I spilled much of a canister of unpopped corn...it fell down in that hole in the stove drip pan. I was going to just sweep it up and pitch it since previous poppings of that batch were yielding lower amounts of popped corn than normal (I suspected the corn was losing freshness). I ended up putting the kernals in a collander and rinsing them off well; next the kernals were laid out on a jellyroll pan to dry. It turns out that the washing returned some moisutre to the kernals because they ended up poppin nicely again when I used them a few days later.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
This popcorn discussion was somewhere on another forum just lately. A fellow there recommended heating up a heavy bottomed pan until water drops will dance when sprinkled inside. Pour in the pre-measured amount of popcorn along with a pre-measured amount of either peanut or coconut oil. I use an expandable metal vegetable steamer as a lid since it lets the steam out, but put a cover over the pan to keep the popcorn from jumping out. When the popping slows down and stops for a second or two, then turn off the flame and dump the popcorn out.

I then like to dump light brown sugar with a chunk of butter into the hot pan and stir while the sugar melts, then add a teaspoon of baking soda. That froths up and then I pour it over the popcorn and stir it around for caramel corn. Adding in some roasted peanuts or mac nuts is good.

The fellow on the forum recommended mixing sugar and salt together and then grinding it really fine in a coffee grinder before dusting it over the popped corn.

This method works really well, we've had a lot more pan-popped corn in the past month since we've started using this method.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 AM

266 posts, read 911,495 times
Try nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast on popcorn. Make sure you use a non-bitter brand; I use Blue Bonnet Brewer's Yeast. I find two tablespoons of melted butter, maybe mixed with a splash of oil, and two tablespoons of brewer's yeast is enough for 1/2 cup of popcorn (pre-popped). Make sure you add the nutritional yeast first, then the salt, since nutritional yeast has salt in it.

Other tips: I put the oil in first, then the popcorn, then turn the heat to medium. Crack the lid. I don't find it necessary to shake the pot constantly like some people do. Once during mid popping, put the lid back on, pick the pot off the stove and give it a good shake (holding the lid on, of course--you'll probably want potholders handy to do this). Learning when to take off the stove takes a little practice--you'll probably have to pop a few batches to get the "feel" of just the right moment to take off the stove.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Brewer's yeast on popcorn? I never thought to put the two together.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
First off, use fresh popcorn. The old stuff will be chewy and won't pop up fully.

I use a heavy cast aluminum dutch oven so the popcorn has plenty of room to pop. I pour in vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan, stick a kernel or two in there, and turn the heat up to high. When the kernel pops, I throw in the rest of the popcorn, cover and shake, reduce the heat to medium once the corn starts popping wildly, and vent the lid so the steam can escape. When the popping slows, start shaking the pan again (withe lid still vented -- this does take some coordination, LOL) about an inch off the heat source. When the popping stops, shake another couple of times, the pour immediately into a bowl.

I like to mix in some parmesan cheese and/or garlic salt. It's addicting!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I use an air popper and I love it!
me too. i found some special popcorn salt that will stick to it without any butter at all - kind of like powdered salt.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
fashioned way..Like in a heavy skillet and a little oil and shake and shake until its done, then add the butter, salt and ??

OR, how do you make it???

Hungry for good PCorn..

I think it's the year of the corn..

HW
We put 1/4 cup in a brown paper lunch bag,microwave for two minutes and then put what we want on it. Easy,healthy(depending on what you put on it of course) and good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink