Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times

Advertisements

It's difficult to make plans for Thanksgiving as it's in the high 80's, low 90's here. I quit cooking TG dinner a few years ago. I get several invites, if I feel like going I do, if not, I'm happy staying home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
LOL, Thankfully, I do not think about the feast at Thanksgiving. We are a very easy tradition that expanded upon my parents and in-laws traditions.

We have Turkey, dressing, green beans, yams, cranberry sauce and delectable desserts such as pecan pie, sweet potato pie and chocolate pie.

The menu is divided up according to each persons speicality and I have found that this works well and relieves one person from bearing the burden of all the cooking. What fun we have.

Funny you should mention holidays though as I have been scheduling appointments with a friend who helps me decorate for Christmas! I put my decorations up before Thanksgiving!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,825 times
This year the turkey turned into a duck.

I'll braise a duck in white wine and spiced sauce.
Stuffing, kinda simple, but my husband loves it like this. Since stuffing was never part of my culture I can't say I am crazy for it.
I like to have melted sauerkraut with the duck, mashed potatoes with chives and gravy.
And beacause we are not crazy about dessert, I'll probably skip or make a pie and give it to my neighbors... hahaha.

We are not big eaters.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Baked turkey
Buttermilk cornbread Dressing
Macaroni & cheese
Giblet Gravy
Cream Corn (put up and frozen from the garden)
Whiteacre Peas (some call them ladyfingers- frozen when fresh)
Green Beans with hamhock
Cornbread
Squash Casserole
Broccoli Casserole
Corn Casserole
Cranberry Sauce
7 layer salad
Japanese fruit cake
Pecan Pie (My mothers recipe that is made with a Table spoon of Vinegar)
Some sort of Chocolate dessert
Rolls
Assorted homemade candies
Coconut Cake
Sweet Tea

I think that is probably all, but I could be missing something!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Man this thread smells good. I love the posts that describe meals that are tied to tradition, yet take them out a little bit from standard orbit.

I live in a typical suburban subdivision, but it borders on a rural area. I have seen in the past few weeks no less than 6 wild turkeys. They've always been on private land, and I don't own a shotgun, but boy I'd love to have one of those to work with!

If I can't get one of those; then I'll see what the farmer's market has to offer.

Broccoli and hollandaise? No, thanks.

Stuffing v. dressing. I grew up with stuffing. My mom makes it like her mom did, which is to say very wet, like bread pudding. Always cooked in the bird.

I like this very much, but it does present problems - mainly, in order to get it to safe temperature, you've got to cook the white meat way past where it should be. So - reluctanly I've strayed from my mother's tradition and now do "dressing" which is the same thing done in a pan. But to make up for the feeling of betrayal, I make several kinds. One close to my mom's recipe with white bread, lots of celery, mushrooms, onions and sage, and one cornbread and sausage.

Mashed potatoes are an absolute must. I don't care for sweet potatoes, so if they're there, someone else will bring them.

My only other absolute requirement is a can of jellied cranberry sauce. Hey, I love the home made ind with real berries and oranges too, but I still have to have a log of the jellied kind, with the can marks on it.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Well no grandparents this year and our daughter just informed me she is going to watch the Cowboys play with her boyfriend and his parents. So it will be hubby, the 4 boys and me.

I am doing turkey, stuffing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and probaby green beans. I am not to sure if I will attempt pies this year, I am not the most successful pie maker.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
LOL, Thankfully, I do not think about the feast at Thanksgiving. We are a very easy tradition that expanded upon my parents and in-laws traditions.

We have Turkey, dressing, green beans, yams, cranberry sauce and delectable desserts such as pecan pie, sweet potato pie and chocolate pie.

The menu is divided up according to each persons speicality and I have found that this works well and relieves one person from bearing the burden of all the cooking. What fun we have.

Funny you should mention holidays though as I have been scheduling appointments with a friend who helps me decorate for Christmas! I put my decorations up before Thanksgiving!!!

I always want to put mine up before Thanksgiving but usually do it that afternoon after we eat, or last year ended up doing it the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It seems like the older I get the more I procrastinate and I love Christmas.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
OK, T'giving. I used to do the whole big thing and have all the relatives over, but life changes, right? Now, since we moved to FL, it's just the 2 of us, so we scale it down a bit. It'll still be turkey, stuffing (we risk death for it, we love it so much!), gravy, smashed 'taters, some kind of veggie like brussel sprouts or broccoli or maybe even corn, rolls, canned jellied sauce (actually, I make it home made and "mold" it in a can - LOL), and apple pie with ice cream. Oh, and pickles and all that.

Before, in addition to all that, we'd have a cranberry salad and 1-2 more veggies, two more pies - pumpkin and mince meat.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
[/b]

I always want to put mine up before Thanksgiving but usually do it that afternoon after we eat, or last year ended up doing it the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It seems like the older I get the more I procrastinate and I love Christmas.
It's a tradition I started when my first born was born. His birthday is in December and I had to have the tree up before his birthday. Well, when son number two was born, I had to move the date of decorations up before His birthday in November. Sigh...but we all love it. The lights are just magical and so soothing.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
This is our 3rd year here without our kids and family/friends. Think it will be just hubby and I as last year I had his sister and let's just say pleasing her wasn't pleasurable.

So small turkey or maybe a capon, stuffing, mashed, creamed onions and peas, homemade cranberr/orange/walnuts, pumpkin cream cheese pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink