Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM

560 posts, read 849,367 times

Advertisements

Ahh yes - good cast iron! I had to stop myself from buying them at rummage sales when I found good ones cause you can only keep so many on your pantry shelves before the shelves break!

Found a great deep chicken fryer missing its lid, but can work with that! I really prefer the old cast iron. Have some pieces that do have that smooth as glass texture, and they are my babies! Found one that has ridges in the bottom that work great for doing steaks, and also bacon cause it keeps the bacon out of the grease.

Also love them cause we can take them camping and use them on the fire, then just give them a good cleaning and seasoning and they are back to wonderful again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Ahh yes - good cast iron! I had to stop myself from buying them at rummage sales when I found good ones cause you can only keep so many on your pantry shelves before the shelves break!

Found one that has ridges in the bottom that work great for doing steaks, and also bacon cause it keeps the bacon out of the grease.
Oh see that is why I have about 6 or 7 hanging on my walls in my country farm house kitchen and dining room.

I have the one with ridges too but it is not a Ruffles. Now we will see who knows what that just meant. My kids reminded me of a very important function our iron skillet do every year too that I haven't share with ya all.

Every New Year's Eve we go out on our front porch at midnight and bang them with wooden spoons. We all have our favorite skillet to grab that makes different sounds while banging. Corny I know but we live in the corn belt remember out in the sticks.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh see that is why I have about 6 or 7 hanging on my walls in my country farm house kitchen and dining room.

I have the one with ridges too but it is not a Ruffles. Now we will see who knows what that just meant. My kids reminded me of a very important function our iron skillet do every year too that I haven't share with ya all.

Every New Year's Eve we go out on our front porch at midnight and bang them with wooden spoons. We all have our favorite skillet to grab that makes different sounds while banging. Corny I know but we live in the corn belt remember out in the sticks.
I have one with ridges too...good for most anything....

Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times
I love my cast iron pans! My favorite is potatoes on the grill, cube the potatoes, pour in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, get the pan hot, add potatoes, when about 1/2 cooked add chopped onions and some garlic........Mmmmm good!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
I am so excited! Just got a griswold # 10 tite top dutch oven and lid for $30. Also a 11" skillet. Both need a little more seasoning but I can't wait to cook with them!
Just had to share.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I travel light, so I have only one, it is deep (2 inches) so is all-purpose. The bottom has been badly corroded, but it says Taiwan. This one has been restored from a rust heap.

I just looked at Ebay, there are plenty of old ones listed there, going rate seems to be about ten bucks.

There are usualy skillets at flea markets, and especially at country junk stores.

Is anybody of the opinion that some are "made" better than others, or is a cast iron skillet just a commodity? I've never found any difference between them.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I travel light, so I have only one, it is deep (2 inches) so is all-purpose. The bottom has been badly corroded, but it says Taiwan. This one has been restored from a rust heap.

I just looked at Ebay, there are plenty of old ones listed there, going rate seems to be about ten bucks.

There are usualy skillets at flea markets, and especially at country junk stores.

Is anybody of the opinion that some are "made" better than others, or is a cast iron skillet just a commodity? I've never found any difference between them.
The difference is two-fold: (1) the designed shape/thickness of the utensil, and (2) the specific heat transfer quality of the iron and the uniformity of the casting.

The resulting difference in cooking is the way the heat is transferred to the interior of the cookware, and in the way the utensil "seasons" into a non-stick surface.

High quality cast iron will have a substantially uniform temperature across the cooking surface when placed over a heat source, especially a wood fire, coals, or a gas burner. You can saute over the whole surface, or simmer or low temp cook without having "hot" spots where some food burns and some food is left much cooler, perhaps not even cooking in some spots.

Wapak and Griswold are by far and away the best of USA cast iron for cooking quality as well as durability and utensil shapes.

Wagner Ware is just behind them, and would be a decent second choice.

Very old Lodge cookware had OK iron, but the new stuff is abysmal.

There's also a lot of "private label" cast iron cookware that was made by these manufacturers for other retailers ... for example, Sears, MWards, or various department stores and outfitters. Some of this production is excellent, and will give a lifetime of cooking pleasure.

Also, there's a lot of old "no-name" cast iron available in the USA, and some of it is really good ... and some of it is pure junk. No way to tell what you're buying until you've had a chance to cook with it.

The cheap sand cast "cast iron" from many countries now in the marketplace is simply junk. The iron formula is chosen for easy casting qualities, but it's very brittle and doesn't conduct heat very well. Typically, the cooking surface is not smooth because there's a lot of small voids in the iron, so it's difficult to get a true non-stick seasoned surface with these.

The european manufactured enamelware of years ago had a great iron formulation, and cooked very well. The newer stuff found in cookware stores today isn't as good, but it's still acceptable to cook on. I wouldn't pay full list retail for it as the older better stuff is readily available for less money. But you do see the new stuff in cookware discounters inventory and it's worth that price.

You can tell the difference in the cookware's iron heat conductivity very quickly by putting a large pan over a typical sized gas burner ... on my stove, that's a 9,000 BTU 3" diameter burner ... with a bit of water in the pan. With a 12" diameter pan, you'll see the water start to bubble over almost the entire bottom of the pan, rather than a "hot spot" of water boiling in the center just above the gas flame which is showing you poor heat conductivity of the iron.

The same is true for my dutch ovens on the stove, which I use for soups, stews, grilling, broiling, braising, or baking. Breads come out of a dutch oven uniformly baked inside and browned on the top with a nice crust ... even if used on a stovetop, or in the oven.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
What a great thread. Thought you'd like to see a loaf of my no-knead bread baked in my cast iron dutch oven. It was so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Cast Iron Cookware-01__09_bread0001_b.jpg  

Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
You do know the reciepe should be included in your post

Reggie

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
You do know the reciepe should be included in your post

Reggie
No, I don't know since this thread is about cast iron cookware. You can find the recipe in the "Recipes" Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink