Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM

375 posts, read 909,988 times

Advertisements

Another tip I have is that the old school cast iron company, Lodge, is making new 'cute' ones w/the enamel colors --- BUT when you compare where they are made v. the old school 'regular' ones, the new enamel colored ones are made in China -- NO THANKS w/all of the issues related to products from them.

Just a little FYI for u all!

Oh - and I did read that there is a great cast iron scrubber (called a rust eraser) that's available in hardware stores - here's the article and some recipes for you guys.

Cast Iron Skillet Recipes - Photos - SouthernLiving.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,381,447 times
I love cooking in cast iron, but one thing I have learned is that it works much better on gas ranges than electric...the weight can actually break electric burner elements over time, due to the pressure at the connection points. After replacing electric elements a few times, somebody clued me into the fact that cast iron cookware could be the culprit.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,185,611 times
I have always just wiped them out with a towel after use. That is how my mom did it and I have never heard of anyone 'washing' them in anyway, shape, or form. Every kitchen I have worked in did the same thing.

Teflon pans are the same way; just wipe them off. If you must 'wash' a teflon pan, then use a clean sponge with a little bit of plain water and no soap and never soak a teflon pan in water. I don't care if it is a $200 teflon All-Clad with a lifetime warranty-soak it in water or wash it with soap and soon enough it is going to be garbage.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,093,796 times
One of local stores that sells cook ware issued a warning a couple years ago that using Pam in their cookware would void the warranty. Their reasoning behind their decison was that Pam builds up and eventually causes food to stick. I use Pam for the BBQ grills I have because it is handy to spray on. I also use vegetable oil in a small spray bottle. I use plain old vegetable oil on my cast iron pots and pans, I do clean them with water and a brush, but never use soap or any detergent. As soon as I clean them, I make sure they are dry (usually heat them a bit to dry) then I put a thin film of oil on them before storing them in a cabinet. I haven't had a problem with rust ever. The only time I ever use a hard scrubbing and a cleanser is when I plan on starting from scratch with the seasoning process, and season them in the oven again. We also have a set of Calphalon pots, pans and griddles, and clean them the same way, but don't apply oil before I store them. I use metal utensiles with my pans, so I have very few Teflon coated pans.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 03-29-2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM

4,360 posts, read 4,206,368 times
We use kosher salt and oil over heat, scrubbed out with a folded paper towel. It's cheaper than sea salt. We never allow soap to touch it if possible, as it removes the oil from the pores in the iron.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,382,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I have always used oil and coarse sea salt to clean "new" old cast iron that has some rust, it works like a charm. Keeping them oiled is the key, when I put one up for awhile I rub a thin layer of olive oil all over it.

Me too, works like a charm!!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,109,318 times
To season a new pan, wipe with oil and place in a slow, 250 oven for an hour. I always clean mine with soap and water, let it dry completely, then wipe with a paper towel soaked in olive oil. That is all depending on what you find works best for you. To get the best results from cast iron, you HAVE to get the pan and shortening HOT before adding the food if you are frying. For my dutch oven, I just make sure I have let it dry well, then coated it with oil before I store it. When frying, I start with a hot skillet and shortening. For the dutch oven, I start with a cold pan and ingredients. I use olive oil because it doesn't contain salt and doesn't go rancid, as other oils can.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,784,926 times
I have my grandmother's dutch oven. i would never part with it. It has seen many, many years of use. Still works beautifully.

I clean it with just a rough kitchen towel (no salt unless desperate) and then oil w/olive oil. Once wiped, it gets a short reheating until it is dry.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,015,044 times
I never got the hang of cast iron, either, but then I discovered Descoware- the enameled cast iron that was made in the 60s and 70s. Julia Child was right- I absolutely *love* cooking with it, and I pretty much never want to use anything else! The same temperature-holding properties of cast iron, without having to season it, or worry about rust. The wooden handles unscrew so you can use them in the oven.. Plus they're pretty

It can be expensive if you buy it from ebay/online, but I have had good luck finding it at the swap meet here- this set I got for $55 (the bean pot alone sells for ~$100 on ebay- score!)

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM

375 posts, read 909,988 times
Jenkay

what an awesome price! I need to go to swap meets with you! That set is gorgeous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink