Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I totally agree on the Griswold, have Lodge and not near the quality....this is from a no-name on it cooked in the oven in the dutch oven-fryer...and works fantastic for this...would have never guessed...
Is the pictuer of bread baked in cast iron? I have a 35 yo cast iron dutch oven by Wagner. I don't think they are in business anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Is the pictuer of bread baked in cast iron? I have a 35 yo cast iron dutch oven by Wagner. I don't think they are in business anymore.
Yes it is taurus...and so easy, can forward you the link or look in recipes section...Nikkzone put on my request and so easy...no knead...just mix simple ingredients and put in that dutch oven...wonderful and so easy, have been making almost daily for three weeks now...is amazing in that pan in that hot of an oven with just cornmeal on the bottom....and when done, wipe out the cornmeal on the bottom, have not washed yet....

Last edited by Grannysroost; 11-16-2008 at 01:50 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have a cast iron skillet that belonged to my grandmother, maybe my great-grandmother. I really only use it to cook cornbread and it's great for that. But I find the nonstick skillets much easier to work with for other things. Maybe if I tried the cast iron for other things I'd like it but I just love nonstick, easy to clean pans.
Try it, you might be surprised, the nonstick wear out no matter how you care for them, the cast iron doesn't...I am still learning and amazed and clean up is easy...don't use soap if you can help it...I use hot water and my scrubbie ...rinse and wipe out with a paper towel and good to go...

Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have a cast iron skillet that belonged to my grandmother, maybe my great-grandmother. I really only use it to cook cornbread and it's great for that. But I find the nonstick skillets much easier to work with for other things. Maybe if I tried the cast iron for other things I'd like it but I just love nonstick, easy to clean pans.
But cast iron is so easy to clean! And it doesn't wear out like more modern nonstick skillets do (cast iron is nonstick if it's seasoned).

Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,343 times
This is a wonderful thread.
The best time I had using my cast iron was when we redid the kitchen in the cabin and cooked all meals on the wood stove using my cast iron cookware.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But cast iron is so easy to clean! And it doesn't wear out like more modern nonstick skillets do (cast iron is nonstick if it's seasoned).
I worried about Teflon being safe so I always liked cast iron for its durability and heat retention. I still use non stick on occasion. I keep my pans clean and oiled. Do not use soap at all, just hot water and a brush if something sticks.

Granny how do I get that recipe for the bread? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
I have never used cast iron. I have toyed with the idea but it just sounds like a lot of work. You guys make it seem easy. It has always been terrifying because of the whole process, and I do not have anyone in family to compare it with.
I started looking at Logic's last year because I need a better dutch oven. The price is way cheaper. You guys make me want to run out and buy one right now.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I have never used cast iron. I have toyed with the idea but it just sounds like a lot of work. You guys make it seem easy. It has always been terrifying because of the whole process, and I do not have anyone in family to compare it with.
I started looking at Logic's last year because I need a better dutch oven. The price is way cheaper. You guys make me want to run out and buy one right now.
The "process" is nowhere near as complicated as some like to make it sound, and once it's done, as long as you take reasonable care (no harder than taking care of your "other" cookware), it's done. So jump right in - the water's fine!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
I think I'm going to try it.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Chilegal, you just HAD to bring that up, didn't you? My mother cooked on a wood stove and she made the best fried chicken ever. I can just taste it. Thanks for the memory. She had what she called a chicken fryer, which was a deep iron skillet and had a tightly fitting lid which steamed the chicken as it fried. Also, for you novices, I have found that if you preheat the skillet and shortening, almost nothing will stick on these skillets, so it is a simple matter to wash them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink