Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Heading over to my in-laws for a Sunday dinner in an hour.

Carne asada and BBQ chicken on the grill.

I'm guessing about 30 people with be there. Lots of cousins heading off to college this coming week. Including one of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 03:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Sunday dinner growing up was always a big deal, with my mother going all out cooking a large (and probably expensive) dinner. Always mountains of dishes, pots and pans for my sister and I to wash and dry afterwards.
When my kids were growing up, I tried to make a nice dinner every Sunday. Now it is just a basic meal: whatever my son and I feel like eating. If I am having company for dinner I will go above and beyond to make a great meal.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
No, not anymore, but it was a big deal when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s. After I was married, we didn't live near extended family, so the tradition died. Also, Sunday used to be a day of rest, when stores, gas stations, and many restaurants were closed, so folks could spend time cooking and visiting. Its kind of a shame.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Does anyone else do "Sunday Dinners?"

We do, and I was told that it was a thing of the past, and I'm old fashioned (the old part might be a good description)

I'm thinking that there is a number on this board who still do Sunday Dinners.

And while we are at it....
Do you all sit at the table every day for a family meal? We do most times, maybe once a month or so we will "eat wherever"

We do when I feel like cooking a big meal and we sit together for a meal every other day as often as possible as well.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
sunday dinnah

was always something fairly heavy, like a ham whole chicken, pork roast,

and we would all sit around the table

Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
We always do a nice Sunday dinner. This evening, we are pan frying some large sea scallops and having a nice salad. Some chilled beer (IPA) and a glass of wine! Cheers!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Food is the least important of our weekend activities. I usually plan a simple dinner like build-your-own taco bar or salad bar.

We like to keep it simple on the weekends so we can spend less time in the kitchen.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
As a kid in the 50s and 60s we always had a special Sunday dinner. We would usually drive to my paternal grandmothers house way out in the country.

Dinner was usually roast beef and all the trimmings, sometimes it was chicken and noodles or fried chicken. If it was chicken, we knew the chicken was fresh because she would have killed, plucked and dressed the chicken the night before.

Dessert was usually some kind of pie.

My grandmother was an excellent cook, everything was always homemade, including the rolls or bread.

Dessert was usually some kind of pie, blackberry was always a favorite.

We would eat at about 1:00pm, then play games or go for long walks in the mountains.

Later in the evening we would have sandwiches, fruit and cookies.

Grandma had a gas stove but, except in the summer. preferred to cook on the huge wood stove. I must be about the last generation that had grandparents who still used wood stoves.

Occasionally we would spend the night and in the winter because she had no central heating, we knew grandma was up when we could hear her banging around in the kitchen getting the fire going. Once the fire in the kitchen was going, she would light the wood stove in the "front room" as she called it.

Grandma has been gone now for over forty years but, those memories will last the rest of my life.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Does anyone else do "Sunday Dinners?"

We do, and I was told that it was a thing of the past, and I'm old fashioned (the old part might be a good description)

I'm thinking that there is a number on this board who still do Sunday Dinners.

And while we are at it....
Do you all sit at the table every day for a family meal? We do most times, maybe once a month or so we will "eat wherever"
With only the two of us, every dinner, unless we have company is on TV trays but breakfast and lunch are at the table. So, no, we do not do the old fashion Sunday dinner. I know what you mean, we raised our kids to sit down together on Sunday. I think our grandkids are doing the same, whether it is quite as formal as 40 years ago, I don't know. We do only eat two meals on Sundays, just like when I was growing up: breakfast is large and always after church, dinner is earlier than during the week and yes, it is usually larger and more detailed, but not like my family did in the 40s, and 50s. We do get together every couple of months with the kids, grandkids and there kids on Sunday: usually we grill though, we do not do the chicken or the roast like when I was a kid.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I grew up in a family that had Sunday Dinner....usually it was in the oven when we left for church and then nearly ready when we got home. Sunday dinner also often meant company invited over to join us. We ate Sunday Dinner in the dining room It was special. My father sat at the head of the table....we passed plates up and he served....and we waited and all started at the same time.

Second helpings were also served .... all at the same time....Dad would keep his eye on the table and when he felt everyone had finished first helping...he would ask.. "Would anyone like more? Once again we would pass our plates up for him to serve....as the tradition waned...the serving dishes might be passed for second helpings.

The menu usually was roast chicken or sometimes a pork roast or beef pot roast. This was back in the 1950's in the Midwest....so often involved cans of Campbell's soup to make the gravy. lol We used to sometimes have something called "city chicken" which was pork, veal, and beef on a skewer, browned in a pan and then finished in the oven. Delicious.

As we got older ... Sunday Dinner was less a part of family routine.....we seldom were all together for any meals.

It was a nice tradition...and I think it strengthened family life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink