Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Growing up my immediate family never did Sunday dinners, but we used to have dinner most nights as family. Traditionally we always had Friday night dinners and Saturday lunches as family time together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Default Sunday dinner when you were growing up

I was thinking a few minutes ago (I do think once in awhile) how we ate as kids and it dawned on my Sunday dinner always focused around a roast or roasted dinner of some kind. It may have been a beef or pork roast, a chicken or even rabbit when my dad was raising the. We also always had a potato dish. We only ate 2 meals a day, breakfast after church and an early dinner, about 4pm or sometimes earlier. We did go out for dinner about once every few months. Do the rest of you remember having a pretty set dinner on Sundays, growing up?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Before we were empty nesters, Sunday was hubby's day to cook and he would get out his stack of Moosewood cookbooks in the morning and prepare a fantastic feast to which the kids would often invite their friends. Now that it's just the two of us, and since we moved to an area where we have no family close by, we still almost always cook on Sunday, but it's very scaled down. I would love to be preparing a big Sunday dinner for family.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:51 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
When I was growing up, my father insisted that everyone had to be at the table for dinner every night. There was no question of being out at that time, taking a plate of food to another part of the house to eat alone, or talking on the phone while eating. The whole family had to be together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was thinking a few minutes ago (I do think once in awhile) how we ate as kids and it dawned on my Sunday dinner always focused around a roast or roasted dinner of some kind. It may have been a beef or pork roast, a chicken or even rabbit when my dad was raising the. We also always had a potato dish. We only ate 2 meals a day, breakfast after church and an early dinner, about 4pm or sometimes earlier. We did go out for dinner about once every few months. Do the rest of you remember having a pretty set dinner on Sundays, growing up?
^^^^ Sounds very familiar.

On Sundays we would always have two big meals: breakfast before church around 10am, and an early dinner around 3pm, in the dining room, with a tablecloth, the good china, and there would often be guests. Breakfast was always things that we didn't eat everyday like omelets, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, etc. Dinner was usually a roast like chicken, capon, Cornish hens, or pork loin, with tons of side dishes and always a dessert and coffee (for the adults).

Now, in my home, we do the same thing--eat dinner together every night. We have a big Sunday dinner every week. The only times I don't make a big Sunday dinner is if we're invited somewhere, going to a restaurant, or I'm really sick in which case my husband cooks or we order out. My mom would cook a big Sunday dinner no matter what. I remember times that she had a fractured ankle, a crippling migraine, just had surgery, etc. and she would insist on cooking!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
When our children were home we always did Sunday dinner and included their friends.

Now there's just us and we do eat at the table every evening but Sunday dinners are not as elaborate as they used to be.
well I have to admit, we always have dinner on TV tables while watching TV, not like when I was growing up or our kids were growing up. When I was growing up, not only did we have dinner together but we couldn't come to the table without being somewhat dressed up. No, we didnt have to wear chruch cloths but we couldn't wear shorts and a t shirt. Dad always wore a nice sport shirt or dress shirt, mom a house dress and the kids whatever was appropriate for school.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:17 PM

802 posts, read 642,911 times
Mom wasn't really a cook. Single mom with three kids. Mostly we got whatever she could cobble together after a long day at work, from a recipe off the back of a soup can, Bisquick box, or bag of rice or noodles.

We're having fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn tonight. We eat at the coffee table in front of the TV. I like to cook, but go in spurts. I may cook like a fool for 2 weeks, then get burned out and don't cook for another week. There are usually plenty of leftovers. Thank God my husband loves leftovers!

Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Growing up it was my dad throwing t-bone steaks on the grill with LOTS of lighter fluid. When I was married, Sunday dinner was this elaborate occasion after church, with a roast, or some other very heavy meal with everyone eating way too much and falling asleep afterward. And of course, one had to dress up.

Now, it's just me and I usually grill a rib eye steak (NO lighter fluid), baked potato and some sort of adult beverage. Tasty, yet relaxing.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:17 AM

Spoiled brats family used to have Sunday dinner at noon or shortly after, then left overs about 5pm: talk about typical farm family: that they were but they no longer lived on the farm.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:03 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
When I was quite small, Sunday dinner was almost always a roast with potatoes and carrots. Then Mom stopped doing it for some reason. As my husband works Sunday mornings, our Sunday dinner is breakfast, which we don't eat together any other day of the week. Unless it's a Packer noon game, then it's blood marys and nachoes or just chips and salsa.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
When I was growing up, on Sundays we had lunch when we got home from Church - usually our once a week frozen pizza (our favorite! Still is mine - but they recently stopped making it) or grilled cheese sandwiches - all eaten at the kitchen table together. After lunch - THEN you went out. Dinner on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday) was ALWAYS my dad grilling the meat. Maybe twice in 18 years it wasn't. Roasts and such we'd have during the week - Saturday and Sunday supper were Daddy's domain when it came to the meat. As to eating around the table - mandatory, no excuses.

When I was single (alone) and had my son, he was really too young to have "Sunday dinner" (and it wasn't something that carried over from my parents after I left the house at 18 - it wasn't under ideal circumstances and it took years for that to heal) so it really didn't happen again until I was with my husband and son was a bit older. Then, it was back to grilling on the weekends (our childhoods were VERY strangely alike so it just kind of picked back up.) It was usually on Sunday unless we were having people over or something, then it would be Saturday. Normal Saturdays was more quick stuff - son usually had somewhere to go on Saturday afternoons/evenings, so if he ate at home, it was something fast. As for eating around the tale as a family - not mandatory by any means. It's all still pretty much the same even WITH son gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink