Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else do "Sunday Dinners?"

We do, and I was told that it was a thing of the past, and I'm old fashioned (the old part might be a good description)

I'm thinking that there is a number on this board who still do Sunday Dinners.

And while we are at it....
Do you all sit at the table every day for a family meal? We do most times, maybe once a month or so we will "eat wherever"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
We do Sunday dinner on occasion. Since we're retired, just about every day is Sunday. We usually eat our meals out on our dinette on the lanai. It's very nice out there.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
When our children were home we always did Sunday dinner and included their friends.

Now there's just us and we do eat at the table every evening but Sunday dinners are not as elaborate as they used to be.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
when i was back home we always went to my parents for sunday dinner.
my dh works retail, so he sometimes works sundays, but i do still make sunday dinner---something a little more special/time consuming, when he is home

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Awww.....Grandma`s fried chicken on Sunday. That was fun!
Yes. I usually cook all weekend, so we will have something in the refrig. to eat on during the week. Its not the same tradition every Sunday, but thats a thought. Fried chicken...every Sunday! MMMMM

Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
We're having an old fashioned New England boiled dinner today. Ham, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and turnip. We're old fashioned about meals. We eat supper together as a family even if it means eating late. We're scattered for the day so it's the only time we're all together for more than 30 minutes.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Because we had little money (especially when the kids were smaller) we ate every meal at home. I mean, McDonalds was a HUGE occassion!!! We simply couldn't afford it! So, we all ate together, and it was fine!
Even now that our kids are grown and gone, hubby and I eat at home about 80% of the time. We do eat out more than we ever have (but then, we GO out more than we could when we had the kids!!!!! Thank GOD they grow up and leave!!!!!!)
I remember when my daughter's friends would come over, they would marvel that we were having mashed potatoes....and it wasn't even Thanksgiving!!!! (We had mashed potatoes almost 4 times a week!) None of her friend's parents cooked on weeknights--I was the "novelty" mom!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
We do Sunday dinners, its just not on Sunday. Its whatever day that I have off and time and money to do something extra. Sometimes we eat at the table. Most times, we kick in a movie or horribly bad tv show series and eat dinner in the living room.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Default The Sunday main meal

For me, it is usually a bouillabaisse. Though today, it is the left over salmon stew from last night since I am relearning having salad as the stuffer. Rather coincidental that as I am having my Sunday meal, the Sunday western opens up with a stew.

When I was a child, Sundays would be coffee cake before church, grand brunches on steak, eggs, English muffins, hash at noon, and then pizza and salad at dinner. But since it is only me now and I work mid shift, it has certainly shifted away from that.

By the way, when my parents were still around and I was an adult, I found out a major difference to how we made salad. Me, I stripped off leaves, washed them, tore them apart and put them in the salad. Dad would strip off leaves, cut the root out of them, wash them, spin them, and put them in the salad. I don't use dressing, using the rinse water to attach spices; they did. I use the entire head, cutting up the base to toss into the final mix, they didn't.

So what's your Sunday meal.....and how does it differ from Mom and Dad?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I don't remember Sunday meals being anything special when I grew up. For our busy household, Sunday is the day we visit the farmers market. Lots to do and see, plus beautiful produce! Afterward, we stop at the grocery store to pick up staples. One of the kids and I usually do prep work for the work week, slicing veggies, making banana bread or cinnamon rolls for breakfasts, etc. Dinner is usually a big pot of soup that can simmer while we work, but tonight it's Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink