U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times

Advertisements

I had excellent soup at my neighbor's house on Saturday when it was snowing like crazy and 22F while we were clearing out storm debris. It got me thinking about doing my own....
So today I bought canned whole corn, two cans of green beans, two red onions, one clove of fresh garlic, a bag of bowtie pasta and then I emptied a can of hearty vegetable soup into the slowcooker first, threw in the cut up onions and garlic, threw in a gob of black pepper, the bowtie pasta, a whole pile of cut mushrooms, some sea salt, two cans of chicken breast pieces in water, wild white rice, filled it to near the top with fresh well water, and a dose of garlic pepper. I have it on "low" and can already smell it...I'm getting hungry
I've used dessert recipes I've gotten here. Any good soup recipes too? OH, and my chicken fried steaks came out awesome with the advice I got! That preseasoned flour is the bomb!

Moderator cut: Editing to add this important tip about using rice in crockpot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
One thing. I wrote about a soup I made with all that good stuff in it...but I made the mistake of adding rice from the beginning. It was ok while hot the first part, but it became a glutinous mass and not very good. I've purchased frozen crockpot bags of ingredients at the store and tried them and they always say add the rice one half hour before you serve. MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,382,819 times
Smile Yum

I love soup and that sounds great. I love to just toss things into the crockpot and let them simmer. Tasty.

I like to experiment and I have started with this recipe for Butternut Squash Soup and come up with some delicious variations. LOL--sometimes I have different things in the refrigerator. I know I once used a cup or so of buttermilk and I really liked the little tang. I include a grating of fresh nutmeg when I cook butternut squash--meant for each other.

Enjoy.
Go here>>>
http://tinyurl.com/33dexf (broken link)

Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,552,497 times
I usually brown a moose roast in a pan, add it to the crock pot with water, then peanut potatoes, fresh carrots and what ever cans of vegies are in the cupboard.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM

212 posts, read 727,338 times
Have you ever tried Taco soup? SOOOOOOO EASY and GOOD. Brown a lb of hamburger, Open and dump 2 lg cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of kidney beans, dump in a package of taco seasoning. Warm for about 15-20 minutes. Eat with tortilla chips cheese and sour cream. I guess it is not a crockpot recipe, but it is so good on a cold day, and fast n easy (Like I used to be )
I'll have to think of some more for you. I love crockpot cooking.
LORI

Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Here are the two main ones I fix and then the ones my mom made that I still can not get it perfected. Oh, and I don't measure anything.

1. Stew
Brown some ground beef then add to the pot w/ everything else
2 cans tomato sauce, after pouring those in fill w/ water and pour that in
1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
cut up fresh carrots
cut up potatoes
salt and pepper and let simmer

2. Chicken Noodle Soup
Boil 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts in water and a can of chicken broth till done then cut up and put back in pot. Add another can of chicken broth and possibly more water, celery salt and seasoning salt, 2-3 chicken broth buillion cubes, and one large bag of those frozen egg noodles. YUMMMY!!!!

3. Potato Soup. LOVE IT and still can not make it to this day.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
Have you ever tried Taco soup? SOOOOOOO EASY and GOOD. Brown a lb of hamburger, Open and dump 2 lg cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of kidney beans, dump in a package of taco seasoning. Warm for about 15-20 minutes. Eat with tortilla chips cheese and sour cream. I guess it is not a crockpot recipe, but it is so good on a cold day, and fast n easy (Like I used to be )
I'll have to think of some more for you. I love crockpot cooking.
LORI
I fix that a lot, it is really good and easy.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,100,309 times
Here's a crockpot version of taco soup. This is different, but MMMMM MMMMM GOOOD!
ground beef
large can of crushed tomatoes
1 sm can diced green chiles
1 sm onion
Several cans of various beans. (I usually use 2 cans chili beans <added flavor>, 2 cans kidney beans, 1 can pintos, 1 can black beans, 1 can great northern <white beans>) do not drain beans, just add to pan
2 cans of hominy <white or yellow>
2 pkgs taco seasoning
2 pkgs powdered ranch dressing (this is what sets the taste off)
2 cups water if needed

Brown ground beef, add to crockpot. Add everything to the crockpot EXCEPT for the taco seasoning and ranch dressing. If you add the seasonings early on they will thicken and set in the bottom of the pot. Let simmer about 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high. When you're ready to eat add the seasonings.
This is great soup!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,459,376 times
My favorite crock pot food is chili. I buy the "brown bag" chili mix, add 1-2 pounds of stew meat, and follow the directions. The only thing I do different is put it in the crock pot. I don't care for beans in my chili so I skip them. I like to serve this over a bed of rice with grated Monterey Jack cheese over the top and a tortilla on the side.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:43 PM

788 posts, read 3,713,483 times
Default Crock pot recipes please

Please share some easy and delicious crockpot recipes. I want to start using mine, and I haven't found a good recipe. I like it all...Mexican, American, Italian, Greek, BBQ...you name it. A few healthy options would be nice too.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
WOW! I looked quick and thought it said Crack-pot recipes, I was gonna suggest the political forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or