Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

How did ya know I had a link of kielbasa and a cabbage in the fridge? That's for Tuesday's dinner....I add a cup or so of whole kernel corn to it too. It would seem us meat eaters get to enjoy the best of all the culinary worlds..... Night all. I'm beat. Can't read another post. Must not have had enough protein today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
Wow I tell you what, them vegans can hand out some whoopin's can't they.
Sounds like your meat took a beatin' on the other thread, Is that PG 13? I don't want the mod squad roasting my rear.

Count me in with the Have Canines, Will BBQ crowd. I come from the plains Indian tribes where eating buffalo was as natural as night and day. To this day I always head straight for the protein whenever I visit the buffet.

And you know what? My cholesterol has always hovered around 85 to 105. I have to force myself to eat veggies. Sunday I made a roast, and after letting it slow cook 2 hours with onions only decided to broaden my culinary horizons and add some carrots and taters. Now that's good eatin'.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
How did ya know I had a link of kielbasa and a cabbage in the fridge? That's for Tuesday's dinner....I add a cup or so of whole kernel corn to it too. It would seem us meat eaters get to enjoy the best of all the culinary worlds..... Night all. I'm beat. Can't read another post. Must not have had enough protein today?
Since I saw you message on a another thread, talking about cabbage and ham, I know you were getting ready to cook something like this

I had 2 cabbages and I grabbed a sausage from the store today just to make the dish.

This is what I am going to make, only have sausage in it.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Main%20Meals/Cabbage%20-%20Roasted/VarzaCalita2.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
And the wolf, coyotes, puma, bear or whatever never take care to kill their prey in such a way as to minimize suffering. The majority of modern societies do the majority of the time, weirdos, idiots, and psychopaths notwithstanding.

Seems I've heard somewhere before that prior to the modern vitamin fortified diet that the only way we could get B vitamins was from animal products. The fact that our bodies require that type of vitamin is more "proof" we are in fact meat eaters. Non-meat eaters don't require B vitamins.
Most B vitamins (such as B-12) come from bacteria found in dirt. The only reason you get any from animal products is because they ingest it (dirt while they are eating grass, etc). Veggies have plenty of B-12, as long as you don't wash them too well.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 AM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Good. Have fun eating your dirt.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I have a really good (wonderful, sinful, lovely) recipe for pecan pie if you want it. It doesn't use syrup and is better than any I have ever tasted!
A good syrup-free pecan pie recipe would be a nice addition to the Recipes sub-thread. I love pecan pie...as good as it is I usually only go for half of a typical slice because of the richness. I was checking the pecan status at my folks' place this past week and I am not encouraged...so many are falling off the trees now and are not good at all. There are probably 200 trees within a half mile but I'm not sure how those are doing for their owners this year.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Good. Have fun eating your dirt.
We're all eating a certain amount of dirt, you included.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
When my sister (12 years older than I am) was tiny, she started eating dirt. My mother, a first-time Mom, panicked and rushed her to the old country doctor. He examined my sister, looked at her carefully, then said, "Hmmmm. Must be something in it she needs." So when I came along 12 years later and started doing the same, Mama just shrugged. She did attribute our general good health to the fact that we were exposed to so many things when we were small, and now studies have shown that, yes, your immune system DOES need exposure to "bad things" in order to develop properly. Go figure!

Thing is, meat is a lot tastier and better for you than plain old dirt. As are vegetables.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
We're all eating a certain amount of dirt, you included.
Anyone wish to know the amount of bugs legally allowed in the food we eat?

It's currently 75 insect parts per 50 grams of cereal or grain.

That's a few extra vitamins right there

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Anyone wish to know the amount of bugs legally allowed in the food we eat?

It's currently 75 insect parts per 50 grams of cereal or grain.

That's a few extra vitamins right there
How should I break the news to my friends (locally) who are vegans that by eating these bugs they are eating meat and therefore not vegans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink