Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times

Advertisements

either because it is a special treat or just because it is tricky and/or too much trouble to make?

For instance, I love lobster occassionally but I don't make it at home. I have a few times to some success but I didn't enjoy it as much. I think eating at home takes away from part of the 'treat' of it. There are certain dishes that I just don't want to make myself. I want someone else to cook it and to be waited on. And especially, someone else to do the cleanup.

There's just something about sitting down at a nice restaurant with someone special to eat a scrumptious meal and have a good conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Anything deep-fried: french fries, fish, clams, onion rings, anything that must be boiled in oil. I just don't want to deal with doing that at home, mainly because of the clean-up. And besides, at my age, eating deep-fried foods is not something I should do very often, so it needs to remain a special and unusual treat.

Tamales. As noted in another thread, they are a two-day marathon to prepare at home, and as yummy as they are, I'm just not willing to spend two days making them.

Sushi. I lovelovelovelovelove it, but I don't have any desire to prepare it myself, mainly because I don't want to have to practice for the next ten years to learn how to make it the *right* way.

Anything futzy that requires a lot of assembly: momochas, tira misu, pierogis, pelmeni - they're all wonderful, but I'd just as soon let someone else futz with them.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
I agree with you on the deep fried foods. Between the smell and the health factors, I'd rather leave it for eating out.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Ditto to everyone's sentiments about deep frying food. Although I wish I could make falafel for pita sandwiches at home. So I guess I will add Falafel to the list.

Another is Huevos Rancheros with eggs over easy, green chili salsa, refried beans, homefries and soft flour tortillas for mopping everything up, plus good hot coffee with sugar. I don't eat enough eggs to keep them at home and the restaurant where I get this breakfast makes the dish so good I would never attempt it myself.

Anita's New Mexico Style Mexican Food - Click on menu - breakfast

Old 09-14-2008, 03:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
I have to disagree with the deep fried sentiment. I only deep fry at home anymore...but for the same health conscious reasons. You never really know what sludge they are using in the deep fryers at restaurants...or when it was changed!! At home...you can fry in good clean canola (or some other trans-fat free) oil and save yourself a bunch of cholesterol!!

Now then...the food I rarely make at home is sushi because its a big deal to make the rice...buy sushi grade fish...roll it out...mix up the wasabi.etc...

This is a great post!!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Anything deep-fried: french fries, fish, clams, onion rings, anything that must be boiled in oil. I just don't want to deal with doing that at home, mainly because of the clean-up. And besides, at my age, eating deep-fried foods is not something I should do very often, so it needs to remain a special and unusual treat.

Tamales. As noted in another thread, they are a two-day marathon to prepare at home, and as yummy as they are, I'm just not willing to spend two days making them.

Sushi. I lovelovelovelovelove it, but I don't have any desire to prepare it myself, mainly because I don't want to have to practice for the next ten years to learn how to make it the *right* way.

Anything futzy that requires a lot of assembly: momochas, tira misu, pierogis, pelmeni - they're all wonderful, but I'd just as soon let someone else futz with them.

Pretty much everything you said.......although once we have a house with a garage we will probably put a deep fryer out there

Also, I don't cook much Chinese at home, unless you count stir fry or crab cheese.......it is so much easier to order out. Also with the falafels and gyros.......

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Vietnamese and Thai salads, especially the fresh squid salad - there are so many wonderful fresh ingredients in there I could never find them all!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
Japanese cuisine, most definitely. Although, someday in the future I would love to master the fine art of preparing it!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Japanese cuisine, most definitely. Although, someday in the future I would love to master the fine art of preparing it!
I'd agree on that, but you can make lots of Japanese food at home very easily, sushi maki - nori rolls are simple and fun, no raw fish needed! I usr cooked shrimp, smoked salmon, cooked tuna, avacado, cucumber, red pepper etc etc. The bamboo mats help but not essential.

How to Roll Maki Sushi - Sushi Day - Sushiday.com

And sashimi is easy too - but you do need to trust your fish is super-fresh.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I eat seafood only in restaurants because my DH doesn't like it. I've been craving fish n chips. Hope to have some soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink