Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you cook at home or eat out?
Cook at home only 19 26.76%
Eat out only 1 1.41%
Do both. 48 67.61%
other 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times

Advertisements

We are home eaters...I really don't enjoy spending that type of money for someone else to cook for me...the cleaning maybe...but over a $1 for a cup of coffee!!! I end up sitting there figuring how much more I could make at home for the same price.

Now having said that...I did go out and meet some people on the Maine forum for lunch, and that was fun. And before my son left home we went out to dinner, a big treat for him..0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
Both, the majority of the time I cook at home. Will eat out occasionally.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Since we "had" to eat out for 7 months while we remodeled our kitchen (yes, we did it ourselves and we aren't 20 anymore-ugh) my hubby can't stand the idea of going to a restaurant. I do enjoy a "night off" and yes, he does cook dinners sometimes but I still get the clean up. I like going to a nice restaurant for a good dinner once in awhile.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Mostly eat at home, times are tight right now and we rarely eat out.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
I usually eat 1 to 2 meals a week out, the rest I eat at home, or make and take with me. I usually end up eating out when I get up too late to pack a lunch, or am just too exhausted to cook. I started cooking in order to make nutritious food for my fitness goals, and saving money has been a nice bonus. Plus, its fun and a great new hobby. I still like eating out, I just don't do it as often.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
We're basically home eaters. Go out once a week to our local Cheers but more for the camaderie than the food.

Lunch we do eat out about 4x a week.

Anything they can cook at restaurants I can do and probably healthier. And being there's now only 2 of us clean up isn't difficult.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
I enjoy being able to cook good food at home, and I am fortunate that my husband remodeled our kitchen this year and I have energy efficient appliances, which is a plus. Like Lacey, we too go to our local pub once a week, but more to catch up with friends. There are just so many nights that I want a steak or ribs, and fast food is not for us, so for the most part we eat at home. We are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I will do breakfast and lunch at the place we are staying at and go out for dinner. It comes down to dollars and cents and we save a lot of money by eating at home.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I picked "Cook at home only," but we do eat out once in a great while. I use to eat lunch out more often, but I have pretty much stopped because of money. When my husband and I were first together and childless, we ate out all the time. Sometimes I wonder how much money we would have saved if we ate at home more! I can't even remember cooking in our first apartment.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
We do our Saturday morning breakfasts at our favorite local diner, and once in a while we have supper at one of the many excellent local restaurants (hate-hate-hate chain restaurants, would rather go hungry than eat at most of them), but the vast majority of our meals are prepared, eaten and cleaned up at home.

I find myself amazed at the grocery store at how much ready-made food is being sold these days. I assume that there wouldn't be so much of it if it weren't popular, but it just baffles me why people don't make their own. I mean, come on now, pre-made MASHED POTATOES??? What is so hard about making that? And all the ready-made pot roast, barbeque pork, chicken and all the rest... it just astounds me that people would voluntarily ingest that much salt and preservatives when they could get a far tastier, healthier and less expensive meal by spending just a bit of time in the kitchen.

Ok, rant is over, I'll shut up now.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
99% eat in.

I'm a good cook, I'm not afraid to tackle anything new, it's so much cheaper and I have control over the ingredients.

I love steak, but I can't tolerate how the vast majority of beef and chicken in this country is raised and processed, and I won't support it. There are almost no restaurants that will tell you where their meats come from, and it's a big deal to me, so we don't go out much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink